Klipsch Cornwall 4s. - $2,000; St Louis Craigslist

Edgar

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

I've never understood how such a scam works. What, you call the guy and he says, "Haha, fooled you! They really don't exist. Don't you feel stupid?" What's the point?

No, he probably tries to deal with people who need the items shipped to them then he can talk them into sending monies on the chance they might receive the product. He would probably just ignore anyone local that wants to come and see / hear the speakers. Some of these people are very convincing I had a guy talk me into selling to him out of state we talked on the phone for 20 minutes he obviously knew about stereos and speakers and a lot about Klipsch specifically, could have been a member here. Kind of a red flag when the check shows up for $7500 for a pair of $900 speakers and he wants me to give the guys picking up the speakers the difference? I was like yeah no, sorry bud. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, 83 LSIs said:

Went to another forum and didn't last long before those in charge handed him his coat.

I'm probably naive, but I could never tell whether Captain Beefheart's failure to deliver was intentional, or was because he overestimated his own capabilities.

8 hours ago, Edgar said:

I'm probably naive, but I could never tell whether Captain Beefheart's failure to deliver was intentional, or was because he overestimated his own capabilities.

On the other forum his departure wasn't about that (it may have been the start of him there, it was shut down quickly), but rather just his posting in general.

• Moderators
On 2/18/2024 at 12:11 PM, Edgar said:

I've never understood how such a scam works. What, you call the guy and he says, "Haha, fooled you! They really don't exist. Don't you feel stupid?" What's the point?

The main theme in these scams is that the person you are dealing with insists on a form of payment where there is no recourse because it’s a cash equivalent - Western Union (or equivalent), Pay Pal friends and family (IIRC), any type of a cash app. There is no recourse for the person sending the money (like a credit card) and no tracking, like with a check. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

The main theme in these scams is that the person you are dealing with insists on a form of payment where there is no recourse because it’s a cash equivalent - Western Union (or equivalent), Pay Pal friends and family (IIRC), any type of a cash app. There is no recourse for the person sending the money (like a credit card) and no tracking, like with a check. 

OK I get that, but what if I showed up at his door, in person? The location in the St. Louis ad was only about 50 miles from me. What would have happened if I had called his bluff and wanted to hear the items before buying?