k-horns on ebay=rip off

ricktate

i e-mailed this guy on ebay with those high priced k-horns ,told him he was on some real good drugs since he did not provide pics,serial numbers...he e-mailed me back.. that he was glad i did that now he can block me from bidding,,,,,please e-mail him and tell him he must have blocked the entire world cause he will not get any bids,,,,lol....rick9.gif he also said i was rude,,,,lol

To my way of thinking, when some seller on ebay posts an auction using the company website pic of a k-horn(which is in walnut veneer while the ones he is trying to sell are in OAK veneer)...gives no serial numbers, gives no original pics of the speakers he actually HAS, and ever so slyly lists a PAIR of these k-horns, but has the reserve set for OVER 3000 bucks APIECE...IOW...OVER 6000 bucks for the PAIR...and he calls them in excellent condition and yet reflects damage to the cabinets in his next sentence...the seller is being RUDE TO MY INTELLIGENCE!!...LOL! Lemme see...he expects to sell this pair for over 6 grand and that doesn't even include any packing or shipping...and how much can one get a brand new pair for?...shipping to their nearest dealer included???????...likely with transport to home and set-up BY THE DEALER included in the price????? Just WHO is being RUDE to WHOM here??? LOL!

From the auction in question:

CURRENTLY RETAIL IS OVER $7,000 FOR THE PAIR THIS AUCTION IS $3200 FOR THE PAIR NOT FOR JUST ONE SPEAKER

Further,

PICKUP IS RECOMMENDED YOU ARE WELCOME TO COME BY AND TAKE A LOOK FIRST CAN SHIP WITH YOUR HELP.

I have no connection to the seller and just stumbled upon it because of HDBR's posting the auction number. Perhaps we would do well, if, before calling someone a thief, we actually performed some due diligence and/or read the auction correctly. I do note the seller has revised this auction multiple times.

ok i'll bite....im sorry for wanting a pic,serial numbers ....but the add still says each and one available.so if i send this guy 3200 and and he only sends me one speaker all he has to do is say well the add said each.I only did it to get him to put up a pic but then i looked at his other adds and no pics there ,makes me say hmmmm.Another thing is ,its buy only,no bids taken but he said he was going to block me from bidding, if you cant bid why did he say that...as if i would..lol...for you guys that still believe this guy send him some money see what you get.Seems he is a big seller of stuff on e-bay why doesn't he have a camera?Just some things i noticed....if you know this guy tell him im sorry for jumping on him,but i did do it in a good hearted way....did not use bad words etc.{how wude of me to want to see a picture of the item}I promise i wont bid on it so others can...oopps you can't bid on it anyway.....rick

I don't think anybody called anybody a thief...just said the auction is a rip-off...and...in MY interpretation of it...that is JUST WHAT IT IS!!...A RIP-OFF!! 3200 bucks for speakers the seller won't show pics of? Now he is changing his ad wording? Why doesn't he add in a pic of the real thing while he is making these changes? Am I one of the few who sees this as a SERIOUS "caveat emptor"?

Just in case you think I'm defending this guy, let me say that the fact that he has 37 current auctions, all only with manufacturers pictures, is very shady. He MIGHT be a total rip-off. My only point was that we have no idea IF he really is legit or not, so a civil email as a first step would be an appropriate beginning in my opinion. Telling someone they must be on drugs is not civil, even if it doesn't involve bad language.

Very strange that he has them only listed as Buy It Now with no lower bids. As far as the wording of "1 available" and "each", those are eBay terms. Technically he is selling "one" pair of speakers which can be bought for $3200 each. Just like when you buy a pair of shoes for $60. Everyone understands that you aren't paying $60 for each shoe. The eBay forms don't allow you to change the wording of some parts and that's why it says what it does.

Still strange the way he has it (and all of his other auctions) set up.

Guys,

The implication made in the very first post is the guy is a thief. Certainly there are concerns with buying on Ebay but lets look at a few easily observable things. 1) This guy is selling using the Dutch auction option, hence the issue with the quantity and price on the auction but his ad clearly states it is for one pair 2) He has 27 favorable feedbacks and hasn't posted a picture other than a stock picture yet. 3) He isn't very good at this based on the number of updates he makes to his listings and the poor choices made setting the auctions up - they aren't quite auctions, you know.

One could assume it is a rip-off or one could readily assume the guy doesn't have a digital camera which is not all that unusual and little technical capability. The fact the guy will let you view the items personally should alleviate your concerns. Frankly, I wouldn't buy Klipschorns unless I personally viewed them; I don't care what the picture shows. And HDBR, I wouldn't buy them for $3200 either. :)

Bottom line, if an ebay auction makes you feel leery, you should stay clear. I read an incredible story on another board about widespread cons on Ebay and a few other auction sites. They are very well run operations and have made me much more cautious.

HI RICK

I GUESS I FOUND YOU ITS AMAZING THE THINGS PEOPLE CONJURE UP WHEN THEY HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON THEYRE HANDS OR ARE QUICK TO JUMP WITHOUT TAKING A MOMENT TO ASK/ THE TIME IT TOOK YOU TO COME HERE AND VENT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER SPENT SIMPLY E-MAILING ME YOUR CONCERNS /TO ANSWER A FEW OF THEM NOW FIRST OF ALL I AM NOT A THIEF I HAVE ONLY BEEN ON E-BAY A COUPLE OF MONTHS AND I AM STILL LEARNING/ SO MAYBE I NEED A LITTLE SLACK(DIDNT REALIZE SO MANY PEOPLE WERE TALKING BEHIND MY BACK)/NO PICTURES BECAUSE I DONT HAVE A CAMERA YET BUT AFTER SEEING ALL THIS GOSSIP I CANT GET ONE FAST ENOUGH I LIKE BUY IT NOW AUCTIONS BECAUSE THEY WORK GREAT FOR ME AND ESPECIALLY FOR A SET OF K-HORNS I DONT WANT TO SPEND TOO MUCH TIME ON PEOPLE SIMPLY LOOKING TO STEAL A PAIR (NO PUN INTENDED YOU KNOW SORT OF LIKE A THIEF LIKE ME)/SERIAL #s WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON OH AND BY THE WAY I SOLD A PAIR A MONTH AGO WITH BUY IT NOW FOR A SIMILAR PRICE AND THE HAPPY OWNER E-MAILED ME BACK THAT THEY NOW HAVE A NICE HOME AND HE WAS SORRY FOR MY LOSS ANY OTHER CONCERNS FROM ANYONE OUT THERE PLEASE SEND ME A NICE E-MAIL AND I WILL HAPPILY ANSWER IT /ITS NOW 3 AM HERE AND I AM VERY TIRED AND A BIT DISSAPOINTED IN SOME OF YOU ALTHOUGH IM SURE THERE IS HOPE FOR SOME OF YOU /HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY/EVENING

SINCERELY THE HAMBURGLAR

PS WATCH OUT IM COMING TO GET YOUR K-HORNS WHILE YOU SLEEP SO I CAN SELL THEM ON E-BAY

It's true! It's true!

That SOB stole all my speakers while I was sleeping last night! He broke my chair and ate my porridge too.

K-Horn,

Good job finding the Klipsch Forum and this specific thread! Welcome9.gif

Also, please don't use all caps in your posts or auctions. It makes it kind of hard to read. Just a friendly suggestion.

Do you use Klipsch speakers yourself or just sell them every now and then?

Well, it looks as if we have a happy ending to the Klipschorn ripoff caper. I hope that we have found a new friend for the forum who might offer his Klipsch-finds on the forum first. Certainly, the participants on this forum hold vintage Klipsch products in higher regard than the average buying public. Additionally, many know other more recticent buyers who might be interested. I noted, in my early months on the forum, the Klipsch-watch is ever vigilant for on-sale vintage items. Welcome K-Horn, and may your first post be here.

Good morning tri-pod and fellow K-horners. Tri-pod you were correct my wife also complained about the all caps lettering it is difficult to read, also thank you to those of you who thought before they spoke about me. By the way i do use the K-horns not just sell them. As matter of fact my wife would like to keep them because they will make a perfect size coffin for me when its time for me to visit that big K-horn in the sky, from the neck up I will be placed in the horn section and the rest of me in the lower section. And one question for all how do I get my speakers listed under the Klipsch heading not just under consumer electronics. Any suggestions on a mid-priced camera . Thanks1.gif

k-horn...

If I was in error, then I apologize...but it seems that if you are selling this much stuff...for these high prices...you should have gotten a decent camera a long while back! Please try to get your wording correct when listing your items...pairs are sold in pairs...not "each"...and good pics of the ACTUAL items go much further in getting you what you are asking for the item than using company website pics does. Red flags understandably go up instantly when someone is trying to sell something for over 3000 bucks and doesn't even bother to post an actual pic of it in the ebay listing!!...especially if that individual is also listing NUMEROUS other items...none of which have pics of the ACTUAL item in the listings!! It is a simple thing for a bogus seller to arrange to have a number of favorable comments by purported past buyers added into his/her ratings in order to give the appearance of having a good reputation...so what you do in your listings of items means an awful lot in how many folks take your listing seriously!! When listing Klipsch speakers it is wise to have the actual pics of them, including pics of the rear of the hi-frequency cabinet(so that knowledgeable buyers can ensure the drivers are correct, etc.) and the serial numbers (and/or pics of the labels on them), and good close-ups of any veneer damage, etc...in order to give the buyer an idea of what he/she is REALLY bidding on.

My comments were based SOLELY on the information you supplied in your listing...so I think that THERE IS HOPE FOR ME...but until YOU begin to list YOUR items PROPERLY, then I will reserve judgement on whether there is hope for you! You seem to have no problem wording your correct meaning on the forum....now if you will just apply that ability to your ebay listings...everything will be fine! Touche! LOL!

Canon Powershot cameras are easy to use and provide a great picture. I personally have the A20 but it is a year old now. Do not know the current models. Couple of things to look for: 1) make certain you can attach an external flash (I can't on the A20 and it would come in really useful) 2) buy nothing with less than 3 megapixels resolution. Run down to circuit city or best buy and you will find one that works - just keep the above two recommendations in mind. Ohter than that it is how "automatic" do you want the camera and how well it fits in your hand.

Welcome to the forum.

My common practice with sellers is to call them on the phone. I didn't use to do this, but experience has taught me that email is insufficient when you are trying to get details on an item. I also like to hear the seller's voice, and get a feel for the person I'm dealing with. The more money that is involved, the more I want to know. If a seller will not allow me to call them on the phone -- I don't deal. Period.

After the phone conversation, I agree to send an email outlining what was discussed and agreed upon. The seller then sends a confirmation email back to me regarding the information.

I would rather pay an extra $5 or $10 on my phone bill, than deal with the stress incurred from an email trail a mile long, with information you can't completely rely upon because you have no idea who you are dealing with.