McIntosh MC275 vs Dynaco ST70

Idontknow

5 hours ago, John Warren said:

Agree with your assessment.

I would not purchase a McIntosh product today.  McIntosh's best days are behind them.  

Hear hear...

Is the st70 even or odd order harmonics?

7 hours ago, John Warren said:

Agree with your assessment.

I would not purchase a McIntosh product today.  McIntosh's best days are behind them.  

So wouldn't a more fairer comparison be to compare to a restored vintage MC275?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There is a difference in the sound of vintage gear compared to modern tube gear. The old gear is a softer and warmer style amp compared to a more detailed modern amp.  Old and new McIntosh 275 amps don't sound the same.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

There is a difference in the sound of vintage gear compared to modern tube gear. The old gear is a softer and warmer style amp compared to a more detailed modern amp.

Did you read this somewhere or do you have a lot of experience with old and new tube amplifiers?

Also what do you consider vintage? Before solid state?

I definitely enjoy my Dynakit ST-70 that's using a pair of older 7199's plus a matched quad of JJ KT77's, which is what Kevin from Dynakit likes and had recommended.  I have no complaints with it and it sounds spectacular running my quite upgraded/modified Speakerlab SK's.  It also sounds great on the Klipsch Epic CF-3 v1's.  I'm sure there are some things that could be changed on it that might eek out a little more from it but not sure I'd really hear them.  But I'm definitely glad I decided to keep it.

I wish it wouldn't have made the picture so big...

20220618_144023_copy_1612x907.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Old  McIntosh 275 amps don't sound the same.

yet , they're not too far apart   ,  if properly recapped with a revised power supply .

• Like 1

Idontknow, I did enjoy the review and the passion for our hobby, always nice to share. I too have a ST-70 and it is stock, I enjoy playing it. In comparing it to your ST-70 it's easy to see how modified it is including the solid-state rectifier. The important thing is you are enjoying it.

I agree with The Dude on doing a vintage-to-vintage comparison and I would suggest the Mc 240, instead of the Mc 275, which is closer to the ST-70s output capability.

Disclaimer: I have Mc 240s and Mc 30s and have yet to hear any modified ST-70 that I would prefer. I'm willing to learn.

The ST-70 Hafler circuit is pretty amazing but the McIntosh circuits with the Unity Coupled transformers are the ones that make me happy - thanks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had a friend early on that had a full McIntosh setup (Preamp, Power Amps, Tuner, Speakers, the whole setup!) that sounded absolutely super & I really wanted to get a McIntosh system myself. No way could I afford even used McIntosh gear. Years later I put together my tube system through the Garage Sale section here on the Klipsch forum: Forte II speakers, Dynaco ST-70 amp, Dynaco PAS-3 preamp & even my Thorens TD-160 turntable.

ST-70_web.jpg.794bbf34d5f118b9b13238d056fb634c.jpg

My St-70 was pretty original but eventually converted the 7199s to 6U8s & substituted a matched quad of KT-77s for the EL34s.

Now, I don't remember how good the McIntosh gear sounded but I can't believe it was much better, if any, that the Dynaco gear with my Heritage Klipsh Forte Its.

Just sayin',

Frank

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very happy with my 2002 MC275 MK IV, it has better OTs than the Commemorative model before it, plus the classic speaker binding posts. It sounds wonderful, even if it is built on a PCB and not point to point. The biggest technical difference to the MK VI is that the feedback loop on my MKIV is in front of the OT, so it's classic. The MK VI has the feedback loop behind the OTs. Ron C, a longtime Mcintosh employee had explained this in another forum. Supposedly this produces a better damping factor. I haven't heard it yet, according to reviews it sounds "cleaner" stronger bass etc.. But I really like the classic sound of my MC275 MKIV very much.

• Like 1