New Klipsch Jubilee owner

22 hours ago, kippy said:

Additionally, would I still need my sub? When I heard the Jubilee speakers they sounded like they could go down to the lower frequences much better than my old Klipschorns. I enjoy movies and dance music so wondering if I really need the sub.

Based on my experiences with the Heritage Jubilee and the quality and extension of it’s bass reproduction I would start with no additional subs and if for some reason I felt the need for another sub due to room acoustics/setup limitations then I would personally only consider the appropriate sized (due to be introduced in the near(?) future) horn loaded Heritage Subs to maintain the quality of the system with the Heritage Jubilee.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Sounds like a really nice space kippy with the potential for an amazing listening experience.

The soundstage/imaging can be amazing with the Heritage Jubilee when installed into a good acoustical space and is a highly valued aspect of sound reproduction speaking for myself.

I’m curious what loudspeakers have you been using and is your current system in the same space where the Heritage Jubilee will be installed? 

Thanks! I had a pair of Klipschorn AK6's in the space before connected to a McIntosh MA352 amp. They were in the corners and of course, sounded good and clear but were missing a center soundstage because they were too far apart. I am probably saying something obvious to the informed parties here but despite the sealed backs on the AK6 models, they still need to be in corners. I was happy with their tone but the center was never what I wanted. This led me to the Jubilee's which, according to the literature and articles, are fine being out of the corners. I heard a pair in a demo and was impressed by the clarity (better than AK6) and bass extension. They are not so bad on the eyes either :)

Edit: if it matters, the listening room is a subfloor that has concrete behind the walls on 2 sides, wood on the other two sides and a concrete floor covered by thick padding, vinyl barrier and thick carpet.

Edited by kippy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, babadono said:

@kippy where are you located?...UG Jube owner here. If you are semi local I love to hear your Heritage Jubes.:)

I am in the SF Bay Area. If you make it up here, happy to have you take a listen. I need about a month to redo the carpet and position everything down in the listening room. 

3 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Based on my experiences with the Heritage Jubilee and the quality and extension of it’s bass reproduction I would start with no additional subs and if for some reason I felt the need for another sub due to room acoustics/setup limitations then I would personally only consider the appropriate sized (due to be introduced in the near(?) future) horn loaded Heritage Subs to maintain the quality of the system with the Heritage Jubilee.

Thanks - after seeing the post yesterday about the loaded heritage subs, I took a close look at the videos. One of them looks a lot like the lower LF bin from the Jubilees (in shape). I'll take a pick of the new system for the team and post. The equipment is in a staging space, not the final destination.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kippy said:

Thanks - after seeing the post yesterday about the loaded heritage subs, I took a close look at the videos. One of them looks a lot like the lower LF bin from the Jubilees (in shape). I'll take a pick of the new system for the team and post. The equipment is in a staging space, not the final destination.

Pics of the staging area as promised...

IMG_3759.JPG

IMG_3763.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Coytee said:

p

pup is thinking mmmmmmmm.....that tonearm sure would make an intetesting chew toy 

:wub2:

I have given very careful (and terrifying) consideration to all this. Got a bottle of Bitter Spray and put it around all the gear. That's a Technics 1210GR2 turntable. 

I am praying the bitter spray works.

Posted (edited)

So, I couldn't wait and decided to wire up the system in the staging area. My initial impressions are that the Jubilee's are a very different speaker from the Klipschorn AK6 I had previously. Bass is deep and rich. Shakes the house (literally). I am thankful to have concrete floors in the final resting place for these speakers. There is some finicky work in arriving at the right mix of HF + LF in the cabinets. The MC252 amplifiers are barely registering signal. Maybe .25 watts for the amp dedicated to HF. Something like 10 watts at ear-bleeding volume for the amp dedicated to LF cabinets. More like 2-3 watts for regular listening level. This thing thumps and I have already decided to likely jettison my SVS sub. These don't need a sub. The bass can easily overwhelm.

Now I am thinking to scale back and revisiting that thread on using MHA100's or some other lower power amps for this system.

Edited by kippy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, kippy said:

There is some finicky work in arriving at the right mix of HF + LF in the cabinets.

Be aware, the level controls on the DSP are NOT tone controls, they are gain controls.  They are meant to be used when you are using different amplifiers with different gains for HF and LH, for example using tubes for HF and solid state for LF.  If the amps for HF and LF are identical, the controls should be at the same position on both.  I asked Klipsch Chief Engineer Roy Delgado (@Chief bonehead here on the Forum) about this.  He said since I'm using identical amps to just set both gain controls to the 12 o'clock position.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MMurg said:

Be aware, the level controls on the DSP are NOT tone controls, they are gain controls.  They are meant to be used when you are using different amplifiers with different gains for HF and LH, for example using tubes for HF and solid state for LF.  If the amps for HF and LF are identical, the controls should be at the same position on both.  I asked Klipsch Chief Engineer Roy Delgado (@Chief bonehead here on the Forum) about this.  He said since I'm using identical amps to just set both gain controls to the 12 o'clock position.

Thanks kindly for the tip, I have adjusted and will see the result. The more time I spend with the system, the more I appreciate that they do not need much power. I feel as if the MC252s are perhaps overkill and I could get by with a much smaller/lower powered amps. 

8 hours ago, kippy said:

My initial impressions are that the Jubilee's are a very different speaker from the Klipschorn AK6 I had previously

Who'd a thunk:D Even the UG Jubes were(are) a quantum leap.

I don't think they sound quite right in the "staging area" said no man ever!  I can slip by anytime and get them outta there if you  want.  😂  Those sound stellar!  Congrats!  :)

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 3:58 PM, MMurg said:

This was great advice and a wonderful tip. Sounds much better @MMurg!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

I don't think they sound quite right in the "staging area" said no man ever!  I can slip by anytime and get them outta there if you  want.  😂  Those sound stellar!  Congrats!  :)

I've had enough. Going to kick this system to the curb and just put it out with the trash!

I don't think I have ever heard such clarity and presence in my life. I feel lucky. The musicians are here standing in front of me playing. I am connected to the music in a way I have not felt before.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1