Klipsch vs. DIY? I'll take the damn DIY

prodj101

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the post by Joshua Ryan Hall it looks like the synergy line is going to be sold at best buy and the reference series will be available through your high end stores.

So you have nothing to worry about, Your RF5's won't be available at best buy so you can still feel elite if you want to14.gif

Fwiw, all of my speakers I currently own(except for my center channel which I hardly ever use) are over 20 years old.

So you could say I have an unavailable sort of an elitist setup, the truth is that I am a tightfisted scrooge who doesn't feel like paying for a pair of new speakers.

It's not like they really wear out so unless I blow them being stupid which I don't see happening I should be set for a good long while.

Now about those tube amps...

Peace, Josh

mkl is totally right. Klipsch owners already catch hell as it is, the whole "image" isn't much of an image at all. I mean, it's not like we're bose owners or anything close to that, but many Heritage owners will roll their eyes at you (most of them are totally cool and they do have bragging rights), and fans of other brands certainly don't appreciate the unique audio qualities of Klipsch products. We're certainly the underdogs of the home audio world...

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

"What do little girls and Klipsch owners have in common? They both can't wait to get their ears pierced."

I wouldn't care if Thiel started selling stuff at best buy (I'd probably buy it...), but people give Klipsch a hard enough time as it is, if they're going to be looking for more dealers to carry their products on the east coast, touting a new alignment with Best Buy isn't going to help any.

At the same time, I've never owned any audio equipment simply for the name and image. Hell, if Bose started making good speakers, I might be tempted to buy them, it's not the name badge on the grill that puts a smile on my face, it's what comes from behind it. I'm not totally happy about this business decision, but hey, whatever will be will be.

As far as "only 7" of us not having access to Klipsch now, not every klipsch owner posts here, and certainly not every potential customer. And if it only amounts to a few hundred people, that's still a fair deal of lost money for Klipsch.

----------------

On 2/14/2003 11:32:07 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

Yeah, I can see where this is going. The world changes.

Klipsch must be looking for the distrubutor with the lowest mark up, to keep the retail price as low as possible. The next step is direct sales from the factory. Horrors! (smile).

I can appreciate that PWK was selling his wares by having the stock on the floor of dealers where people could listen and be "converted" to the merits of the product. Yet buyers knew, and know, they are paying for that overhead.

For good or for bad, buyers are not willing to pay for the showrooms, and there is a relentless pressure by buyers to purchase without the cost of a demonstration and hovering salesman. And we don't want to pay for the cost of advertising outside the modest investment on the 'net.

Hey, it is like automobiles. In days past, you'd go to a showroom and get convinced, if not seduced, this is a good car for me. Not so today. We want rock bottom prices on the internet.

There is some some sanity to direct sale, where we are going. We want technical performance and the results of R&D. You can't help but look at a speaker and conclude, "I paid for a slick ad in Sound and Vision."

The interem is that Klipsch is using the most low cost distributor. We should not be surprised. Hewlett-Packard, a powerhouse of high tech technology, is reduced to the same. Are there any HP show rooms? Do we want them?

Gil

William

your are correct!!

Up until recently I worked for HP client support,..NOW you have a problem,..U must go to the website...

ROb

----------------

"As far as "only 7" of us not having access to Klipsch now, not every klipsch owner posts here, and certainly not every potential customer. And if it only amounts to a few hundred people, that's still a fair deal of lost money for Klipsch."

a few hundred is still a drop in the bucket compared to the exposure that klipsch will get at best buy!

as was pointed out....klipsch will play louder than any other speakers at best buy and most of the joe 6-packs that buy equipment at best buy are of the opinion "louder is better"

i wouldn't be surprised if the synergy line becomes one of best buy's top sellers...

russ

I know the feeling of ranting and raving for weeks, changing your mind every day or so, always having a new master plan. But common, just last week your praising your RF-5s, and now Fred is a retard becuase his product line will be carried at Best Buy??? Hell, I don't like best buy either, just the other day a best buy employee tried to convince me there was no such thing as Need For Speed 4 (cough dumass cough). And yes I do consider it a little sacreligous for Klipsch to appear on a best buy showroom, but who cares? Klipsch still makes the same speakers, which I think are wonderful.

Hope we can talk online soon.

And please dont take offense to this post, I just really disagree with you here.

prodj101:

You have posted your above feelings in a few threads now. I understand buying image for many people (including yourself) is also important. Again, we will have our Synergy line only at Best Buy. Reference will be only in A/V Specialty stores. What I don't quite understand is that, all of a sudden, you do not like your Reference RF-5's because our Synergy speakers will be sold at Best Buy. When exactly did you stop liking your Sony, Phillips, Yamaha and Pioneer products you display in your signature as owning? These manufacturers also have different lines at Best Buy, some for quite a while.

PhilH

prodj101 I can understand not liking a particular store that may carry Klipsch. Just do NOT shop there.

In southern Wisconsin, American is the store that is the major Klipsch dealer. They lost me as a customer years ago. If I ever buy a new set of Klipsch speakers it will be through one of the independent dealers NOT American.

----------------

On 2/18/2003 11:00:32 AM PhilH wrote:

prodj101:

What I don't quite understand is that, all of a sudden, you do not like your Reference RF-5's because our Synergy speakers will be sold at Best Buy. When exactly did you stop liking your Sony, Phillips, Yamaha and Pioneer products you display in your signature as owning? These manufacturers also have different lines at Best Buy, some for quite a while.

PhilH

----------------

PhilH I doubt he really has a problem with the RF-5. I think he was just venting. You have to understand one thing, he is a 14 year old impressionable teenager. And no I am not slamming him, he really is 14 years old. Hope that helps you understand his mindset.

prodj... no offence man! 1.gif

Prod,

Enjoy your speakers, voice your opinions and concerns but remember your Klipsch have given you hours of enjoyment and I am sure there will be many more.

Living in the Northeast Tweeter is relatively the dominant retailer for Klipsch. I have never waited more than two days to have a speakers shipped to me from tweeter. Another local dealer gave me well about 7 business days. Fortunately I have learned that this local retailer will continue selling Klipsch. That is good news for access but bad news for the consumer who has established a "business relationship" with various people at tweeter.

I took 2 days and hit 14 various tweeters listening to various speakers in a number of different sound rooms. I know it sounds crazy but there are a lot of tweeters where I live, but they can't compete with the number of dunkin donuts.

Spending as much money as I did it was worth the time and a tank of gas.

I for 1 am upset with the decision but I do not see myself selling my Klipsch to spite thier decision.

In the future well Klipsch may or may not be part of the deciion making.

Sincerely,

Scott

mOOn (and prodj):

That's cool. Hey, I was once an over-emotional 14 year old. Now I'm an over-emotional 46 year old. I was just trying to help prodj (with some sarcasm) see just how silly I thought his statement was, once he thought about it again. Hey, I can be stubborn too...there is a certain car dealer here in Indy that I refuse to go to because of something that happened to me 25 years ago there. Think I inherited a hard head from my Dad. We all need to vent, and I understand. Prodj, just don't do anything rash to those RF-5's before you think about it. And if you don't want them anymore, sell them to someone who appreciates them.

PhilH

While I'm not quite ready to burn my 7's just yet, after rereading prodj's initial post I think our young friend does expose an issue that Klipsch should pay some attention to. There are going to be a fair number of people who when looking for future high end audio purchases will not consider Klipsch due to it's Synergy line being sold in Best Buy.

Before Best Buy existed I bought Polk Audio as it was supposedly higher quality than whatever was sold at Sears or the other large stores at the time. When it came time to replace them, I didn't even look at Polk again even though I had read some solid reviews on them. Why did I do this? Because Polk had since gone more mainstream by being sold in Circuit City and rightly or wrongly, I associate gear sold there as of only average quality. I wanted something more hi end, more audiophile level so when I walked into Tweeter and saw and heard the Klipsch "Reference" line, that was clearly a step up the audiophile chain to me from the Polks I presently had.

You can make the argument that how they sound is the only thing that matters, and that has been the logic by which I have made the majority of my purchasing decisions, but there is also a very valid point that exclusivity sells. I mean do I really need the RF-7's and an RSW-15, to listen to music at an acceptably audible volume? NO! But do I relish in the pride of ownership of having something that is larger, better and less likely to be in my buddy's house? You damn right!

Also at his age, he most likely does not have anywhere near the same level of discretionary spending as many of us do. If he bought his speakers at a place with an upgrade policy (Tweeter), he may have already mapped out RF-7 or Heritage purchases for the next few years when he had more cash available. Now he might be stuck halfway through putting his system together and not have the funds to finish it before Klipsch is discontinued at his location.

Besides whatever else, the kid is tireless in support of the RSW-15 subwoofer. Any "What kind of sub should I get" post in the Subwoofer forum is almost certainly going to contain multiple posts from him pushing the Klipsch products even with tons of people suggesting SVS.

A bit too emotional and uphappy perhaps, but he's still a loyal Klipsch fan to me. Some slack and understanding for him I think is warranted.

~shoe

----------------

On 2/14/2003 11:09:32 PM prodj101 wrote:

part of it is that I have extreme hatred towards best buy. they're always rude to me and jipped me on a deal once that ended up costing 50 bucks.
----------------

Don't get your perverbial panties in a wad... Circuit City has cost me about $1800.

yeah, the best buy bit just pushed me over the edge at the time, as I was dealing with school work, being pissed off at a kid at school, and girl issues (damn I hate my friend right now! 3.gif ). but either way, I'm over it now. RF-5's can keep there place in my living room. now I'm thinking about how nice it would be to have some of those Cary Audio Signature 300B tube amps to run with them 11.gif

oh, and by the way phil o, I could care less about my VCR, and the sony products they sell at best buy dont' really concern me. but I can assure you if they were to start selling B&K and Mcintosh at Best Buy, I wouldn't count on the best buy near me to be in business much longer 11.gif

"but I can assure you if they were to start selling B&K and Mcintosh at Best Buy, I wouldn't count on the best buy near me to be in business much longer"

i'm not exactly sure that i follow your rationale.....if b&k and mcintosh happened to be on the shelves at best buy, how would that make best buy go out of business??

russ