Harman Kardon 430 on Klipschorns

Jim Cornell

I got my H/K hooked up tonight, and ill tell you, this unit is trully no slouch, not in any way!

Ive had several hundred recievers, this is the first one, the indicator lights dont blink, when i turn it up!

As far as tubes go, they have more clarity, top end sound, at 1,000.00 Vs the 430, id say the top end on the 430, isnt far behind!

The bass WOW

The 430 has more bottom, solid bass than the tube setup did.

Im glad i tried this unit, also i bought another one, this stopped me from spending another $1,000.00 or more, for another tube system!

You listeners, need to take Andys advice, this small unit gets these big monsters thumping, and thumping loud and clear!

Very nice sound spectrum, seems more even, now than before!

Overall im deeply impressed with the 430, and im not just saying this to make it look good, if i didnt like it, id give it away, i think ill keep this around, its a definate keeper!

based on a (1 min,) (5 max)

Bass 5

trebble 5

Mids 5

Overall

Not qiute as crisp, and clear as tubes, but more of an even sound spectrum!

More bass for sure

Regards Jim

9.gif

Glad the 430 is working out. Seems to be a great little amp for the money and proof again that many of the times, it is the low watt offerings of the line that shine, especially on efficient speakers.

Jim, I would say that instead of saying "tubes" when comparing the amps, no matter what the comparison, you say the actual tube amp you are comparing it to. To say "tubes" when you really mean your Conrad Johnson MV-52 puts a wee bit too big an umbrella for comparison. Not only do tube amps sound tremendously different from each other, some more subtle than others, you have to weigh in the choice of output tube, implementation, and the circuit type.

Just with tubes alone, two 3.5 watt amps can sound very different from each other. Two 30w tube amps can sound different. Different tube types of the same output sound different. A 3.5w 2A3 amp of superior build can have more potent and defined bass than a 100w amp depending on circuit. So the word "tubes" is not the best choice as it's just too broad.

I am currently comparing a digital amp to my Moondogs, both in the low watt category. I would do either a disservice if I just focused on the digital vs tubes umbrella.

Still, this doesnt take away the fact that you are another happy buyer of the HK 430. But besides more bass and more highs etc, there are many things going on that separate the good from the next level, time and exposure being an important factor.

kh

All right, all right. I've got to try one of these. I'm still experimenting with a second system upstairs in the bedroom, and have limited space, so I'm interesting in trying the 430, or its bigger brother the 730.

One key question: can any of you who own one or either of these units comment on its FM performance? My wife and I like to listen to Jazz at night after we get our little girl tucked in for the night. We enjoy CBC (Canadian) radio's evening classical and jazz programming, and also jazz on a local NPR station. I'm not expecting performance equivalent to my Yamaha T-85 in terms of sensitivity, but would hope that it will pull these local stations in respectably with good tonal quality. I plan to eventually pair it with some RB-5 bookshelfs, currently doing their duty as surrounds in my HT system.

Thanks!

The FM reception is great.

I too use mine for mainly listening to a local jazz station at night(wucf orlando).

I first turned it on and started picking up the usual local stations with a good sound.

Then I realized I didn't have an antaenna(sp) hooked up, with a cheap antaenna from radio shack it's great.

This is in my apartment which is more like a concrete block bunker then an apt. building.

My cell phone barely has any reception at all when I'm inside(different wavelengths I know).

The power rating on the 430 is 25watts I think which on even the not as efficient heresies is plenty loud.

The 430 is also a twin power design which means it has a seperate transformer for each channel, this being what many attribute to giving the 430 it's clean sound.

Peace, Josh

jt1stcav,

H/K 430 entered production in late 1975(as a 1976 model) along with its bigger brother, the 730...production ended late 1978. H/K published, by their own admission, CONSERVATIVE power rating of minimum of 25 wpc RMS for the 430. Its twin-powering makes it sound like it has much more power than that, though!

Whell,

You ask about the tuner section of the 430...From my experience it has a pretty damned decent tuner...and pulls in stations STRONGLY...others have commented that it pulls in stations better than what they were using...without even having an FM antenna attached! But...you will have to ask those owners for more details. Personally, I like the H/K 430 tuner's tonal quality. Jim said something to me last nite about its tuner's ability to pull in stations...I will let him comment on that. Josh(Invidiosulus) has also previously made comments on its tuner section, as has Justin, and Rick Tate. I am sure they will tell you all about its tuner's capabilities and tonal qualities if you ask them. Keep in mind it has FM muting feature, too...so you can adjust out weak/distant stations you don't want interference from by fine-adjusting your muting control on the rear of it.

Mobile i want to sell this conrad, there is something about it, that doesnt match the big horns!

Id like to have a 3.5 watt SET amp.

But for now, ill hang on to it, till the time is right.

The FM pulls in stations, with no antenna, ive never seen this, im 43 miles west of Denver, and i get Denver with nothing on it, i caint wait to listen to FM again!

BUT if you want a really nice, cool running unit, that has a higher quality, the 430, or 730 is it!

Especially for the low price, ive bought 2 for 150.00!

My conrad system, is an over efficient bomb, now with the 430 i can listen to these at night!

I still have nothing against a SS or tube system, im not going to favor one or the other, if you have the money have fun!

What sounds good to you, is what counts anyway!

Me, ive jumped to the high dollar first, before moving up the scale, 45Wpc is to much tube power!

So i made a mistake right off the bat, getting this!

Another jump was, going over the la scala, and belles first, when i bought the k-horns!

I never had any idea what these would do, ive never heard the k-horn, till i bought them!

Ive heard you need 3 watts, i was like yea right, but you know what, THEY WERE RIGHT!

All my high power gear, seems to be leaving the house!

Little by little!

I can still BI AMP these k-horns, conrad top end, H/K bottom!

Yep, im jumper Jim

I Jumped then listened, instead of listened, then jumped!

I know!

Regards Jim

9.gif

Jim,

concerning your 'new' HK-430,you say it has more bottom, and

solid bass than the tube amp your running.

curious if you run the receiver with tone controls set 'flat'

with loudness switch OFF and no bass boost from equalizer.

I'm interested in this receiver if it indeed does deliver

like I keep reading on the forum..thanks

Stig,

I have found that with the 430's tone controls(bass and treble) set to "flat" (high noon), there is no need to ever use the contour switch when listening to it with Klipsch "Heritage series" speakers...even down to extremely low volumes (whisper-level volumes)...because the bass is still there with this combo...detailed, balanced, and full. I will let Jim comment on his own preferences in this department, although I believe them to be pretty much the same.

I havent used the bass, trebble contour controls for 9 years, no need to at all!

Flat response, if it doesnt sound just right flat, its out the door!

I havent tried the FM, ill get the 2inch antenna wire out!

My wife had the 430 on, when i got home, funny, she never turned the conrad on?

Regards Jim

9.gif

Generally speaking(remember...I said GENERALLY SPEAKING!!!), higher power in a tube amp has the same problems associated with higher power in solid-state amps...the more the power, the more the sound suffers through highly-efficient horn-loaded speakers. With tubes, though, this problem normally begins at lower power rating levels than on SS amps...if for no other reason than the fact that SS amps GENERALLY are never made with as low a power RATING as the LOW powered tube amps are rated at to begin with.

I believe this is what Jim was talking about with his Conrad tube amp...the fact that he believes a nice lower-powered tube amp would likely sound MUCH better when powering his k-horns than the Conrad does with its higher 45 wpc rating! I don't think he meant that the Conrad had too much power for k-horns...but, instead was trying to say that it had too much power to be one of the better-sounding tube rigs around when listening THROUGH k-horns!

I also don't believe his intent was to say BAD things about the Conrad, but to just agree with those who espouse low-powered tube amps for use with Klipsch Heritage model speakers...in particular, the k-horn.

• 1 year later...

Got one today. This is a classic that will occupy my museum. I really don't think that the biggest and most expensive necessarily have more to offer. Watts per dollar follows the law of diminishing returns, IMO. If it were not for the Marantz 2215B occupying my office system, I would employ it immediately. I think it will wait for my custom Cornwalls (I just got the Type B crossovers recently with view to a building project. Decorator verticals or Heritage horizontal? Sounds like vertical mid and high is the way to go.) I think I will upgrade the speaker connectors to five-way also.

EDIT 6-13-04: Listened tonight. Wow. Midrange out the wazoo. Bass tight as the kick drum recorded. Highs, well, I ran the Hi Cut filter even thought I don't have tweeters on the Valencias. Staging: wide and clear and impressive for a 25 watter (you don't need more than 5 wpc on the Valencia). This baby can sing. One quarter turn is all my ears could handle. It even looks great! I now have to get another one for back up. 9.gif