Definitive Technology Vs Klipsch, Beaten???

CatManFever

Does anyone know which really sounds better? I now realized Klipsch may have revamped it's entire model line awhile back to possibly compete with this new kid on the block that is making raves everywhere.

Note how the Reference series bears a resemblance to the DT line.

Is it possible? The DT blows the horns away, all the way down to the Klipsch Quartet? And quite possibly, the mighty Klipschorns??? 15.gif

"Does anyone know which really sounds better?"

Only the person who has listened to comparable models in an A/B comparison under optimal conditions would be able to say how they sounded to them and which was the better speaker in their opinion.

I listened to them side by side vs the Rf7s, including the 2 that had 250 watt amps built in to the woofer. THey could go lower, but they sure weren't as lively. To make it more fair, the salesman bi-amped the klipsh with the 200 watts of B&K power total, the 100 into the DT + its 250 watt amp was no match. A powered tower leave's no room for flexibility. I think DT makes "pretty" speakers so they can sell them to our wives/girlfriends.

My dealer has both the Definitive Technology line and the Klipsch reference line. I went home with RF-7s.The ones I did an A/B comparison with were the 2002TLs using the same amps and receiver in their showroom not in my home. They did sound pretty good but the Klipsch seemed to have that "in your face" feel with a good subwoofer which is what I like in my sound system.

The only thing Deafinitive beats is a dead mule and roadkill

LOL

DT cannot compete with Klipsch in dynamics and value for the money,and it competes poorly against Dynaudio and Focal in the high end.

The adds and reviews are pure hype,just look how much they advertise!You know the reviewers want the add money for the mag and rate them better then they should.Definitive has B0$e style adds and BS.

Thank you very much

Well since I have had the 2000tl's in my house for an a/b comparison I can give you one guys opinion.I had the rf7's for almost a year,I had an option to trade up for full value I paid.I got the 2000's on loan,did extensive listening,and really liked em'.BUT,when you go back to the klipsch everything sounded lively,crisp and just more detailed.The money difference was about 1k(which I was fully prepared to pay)but even an even trade would have been a tough decision.In the end I suppose I'm hooked on the horns.

I a/b them every day. I have Def Techs for surrounds in my setup currently. I made a mistake a few years back and traded in my KG 4.5's for the DT's. After about 4 months I had realized my folly and eventually replaced them as mains with my KLF 10's. WHen opportunity strikes, I will replace the BP6's with some Klipsch rears. They are definitely more "dull" sounding than the Klipsch. It is like a sheet (or even a comforter) is placed over them. They are pretty neutral sounding speaker and aren't half bad, especially for the money, but I am sold (and have been for a long time) on that horn sound. BTW, My DT's are up 6 or 7 dB on my receiver to try and match the output of the KLF's and it still doesn't quite work right.

I A/B compared the Definitive Tech speakers to Klipsch RP-3 and RP-5 back when the RP-3 and RP-5 were a part of the Klipsch lineup. The RP-3 and Rp-5 were incredibly clear and clean sounding compared to the Definitive Tech speakers. I bought the RP-3s and I still love them. A week or two after I bought my speakers, I re-visited the store and found that they had moved the Klipsch speakers out of the room with the Definitive Tech speakers. That room had been for the high price and high performance speakers. I guess they decided that the Klipsch at a lower price would out perform and outsell their higher priced brands. Too bad they didn't have a couple of Heritage series speakers to A/B with.

It's all subjective. Some could A/B Klipsch

vs DT and say that the DT's blow the Klipsch away. You just won't find those people on this forum.

My mom has one of those Bose wave radio things and she thinks that the greatest thing out there. Oh well, whatever floats your boat.2.gif

I was able to compare (under less than ideal set-up for both), a pair of Def-Tec BP2000's and the pair of klipschorns I ultimately ended up taking home. At first listen, the BP2000 did sound smoother and better balanced, with deeper, stronger bass. But when I turned both up to even approaching live levels, the BP2000 sounded like loud speakers; the klipschorns sounded like live music - clean, clear and hitting my chest like a jack-hammer! On the same day, in a different location, I also listened to a nice pair of Legacy Focus loudspeakers. They too, sounded real "nice", but they just ain't got that klipsch...shwingggg! Ya know? 10.gif

• 7 years later...

Def are all smoke mirriors and BS. Put a blanket over a set of Klipsch reference- There you have Def. In 5 or ten years when the cheap internal amps start poppng like firecrackers- you will not be able give these away at a pawn shop.

Designed to be sold to wives and GFs in a magnolia room with shiny surfaces and glitz. The big brother of Blows. Another speaker that sounds nothing like they did in the store sound room when you get them home and figure out that you got ----ed.

Sure- you will get different answers on the Def forum- Denial