Klipschorns in the house!!!!

jhawk92

Hey, honey, look what followed me home...can I keep 'em???? 9.gif

Well, I did it. I drove across 3 states (granted, they were CT, RI, and into MA so pretty small states) to audition the 1968 Klipschorns that themaze619 posted a while back. Pictures can't begin to describe how they look. These are in outstanding condition, especially for "G" models. Horns sound wonderful, bass is solid, and the veneer is in outstanding condition. I think they are in better shape than I am, and they are a year older than me! 2.gif Adam, the seller, said he bought them from an elderly gentleman who took meticulous care of them and it shows; very little dust anywhere on these.

Needless to say, after a short audition, I said I would take them. We disassembled them and then managed to get all the pieces into my 4-dr Explorer. Fortunately, I had done some pre-planning with where the various pieces would go in the car, and everything fit like a dream. Absolutely no shifting of contents during the ride home.

I haven't hooked them up yet, as my spare speaker cables aren't long enough, and I still need to clear out the corners where they will be living. But I will get to that soon, as I can't wait to hear them in my house. I think I'll get some of the Watco Rejuvenating Oil and work on the veneer. It is in good shape, a touch dry, but I think with some TLC, the veener will look incredible. For now, they will be hooked into the "B" terminals of my Denon POA-5200, which also drives my Chorus IIs on the "A" terminals. It will be fun to compare/contrast the two pairs with the same sources. I know, I need to find a good tube amp, but I have to start somewhere, and these speakers were it.

Since I didn't have plans to hook them up tonight, I went ahead and opened up the bass doors on both, just to see what's on the inside. What an amazing work of art! Now I can understand when people say how complicated a Klipschorn is on the inside. All those pieces, screws, and lotsa glue. I think one of the bins may not have been opened since it left Hope!

Here is what I found:

KBWO, 3G081

Inspected by: Portus Gilley

Tested by: N.W. Bradford

Woofer: K-33-P (square magnet)

#2059 on badge

5815109 and 137 6928 on magnet

Midrange: K-55-V driver, K 400 metal horn

#8682 on badge

Tweeter: K-77 driver

#3048 on badge

KBWO, 3G082

Inspected by: Portus Gilley

Tested by: N.W. Bradford

Woofer: K-33-P (square magnet)

#2061 on badge

5815109 and 137 6928 on magnet

Midrange: K-55-V driver, K 400 metal horn

#8674 on badge

Tweeter: K-77 driver

#6559 on badge

On the inside of both cabinets was a pencil signature with the serial number of the speaker, and

Bob N

Hope, Ark

Pretty cool stuff. Any idea why Bob signed on the inside? Both speakers have the Type A crossover, which look to be in pretty good shape.

I know there will be many more questions, but I do have one to start out. While inside the bass bin, I noticed that both magnets seem to have white whiskers, especially around/covering the mounting screws. From my satellite background, this to me means that there has been some reaction between the screws and the iron magnet; dissimilar metals will sometimes have chemical reactions. Is this a problem? They sounded good, but wasn't sure if this is something I should clean off before I bring them into service. Anyone have thoughts?

Ok, two questions. The "weatherstripping" that seals the bass bin door is pretty much dried out and starting to crack. It still seals ok once you get all the screws back in, but should I look to replace that, or does it matter?

I'll post some pics of the beauties once I get them in place and hooked up. I wanted to thank several folks who helped answer my questions "behind the scenes." Edster, Tony Reed, Jim Cornell, Q-man, Doug Drake, and Lynnm were an immense help in helping me in my decision-making process. You folks are what makes the BB special. I know I'll have more questions as time goes by, so be patient with me since I am new to the Heritage line.

So, about a year after I was in Hope for Mr. Paul's book signing and getting to listen to HIS KLIPSCHORNS, I now have a pair of my own. I think there was a beer commercial that said "Boys, it doesn't get any better than this." I think I'd have to agree!!!

Rob

Congratulations Rob!!

Sounds like you brought home a couple of beauties. You need to get some photos posted. If I were you I would go ahead and replace those doghouse door seals while you can get at 'em easily. Should be a snap, I'd use window weatherstripping like Jim C. auggested. I used the same stuff along the top horizontal edge of the bass bin to seal that area along the wall (false corner in my instance).

Can't wait for the next report!

Oh...maybe Bob was the "sticker boy inspector" to be sure the "sticker boy" got the correct labels on 'em??

Congrats! I was thinking of those '68's but opted for the '88 Oak Oil Khorns in Maine instead. I love my Khorns they certainly make a statement resting in the corners of a room. Dvois was gonna pick those up until I let him know of a pair about 20 min from him. I did get photos of them and they are sharp in Walnut and cane grills. I would use boiled linseed oil instead of that Watco stuff as recommended by Andy (HDBRbuilder) I gave my Khorns a couple of coats once I got them home and boy did they light up. Seems like the linseed oil creates a kind of barrier once it dries. I am certain that you will enjoy! I have mine hooked to an outboard amplifier as well running off my Denon AVR-4800, I played back the asteriod sequence from Star Wars: Episode II this past weekend and what a difference with the Khorns, WOW! 9.gif

yeah, good job.

Don't do anything to them except possibly fix the seal on the bass door. Listen to them for a couple of decades. Then believe PWK when he said "If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in".

Low powered (SET) tubes make a great pairing with khorns.

And yes, the front end matters. A lot. Get good source, CD or TT, and be amazed.

All-

Thanks for the kind words. I guess this is my first real vanity post on the boards, so I don't mind too much. Besides, since my B-day is next week, this is my present to myself. I'll certainly get some before and after pics to see how the veneer opens up. Now I need to find all the posts about boiled linseed oil.

Jim/Edster-

Thanks for the tip on the window foam seal. I'll hit Home Depot this weekend for that as well. The original seal had staples facing out, so when you put the door on, there was even more solid contact, above and beyond all the screws. Would you recommend doing that again?

Randy-

Yeah, I know that good amplification and sources are helpful. I was certainly amazed by Edster's Moondogs when I got to listen to them. I have a pretty good CD and TT now, and once the funds are replenished, then I'll look into amps/preamps.

Q-

Ih I had been able to get the bass bins in vertically, that would have been a hell of an idea!! Even the factory Ford radio could have brought these to life. Yeah, my homework the day before paid off. One of the bass bins went length-wise just behind the back of the front seats. Bass bin #2 went "nose" in and was cushioned from impacting the first. I had about 4" to spare between the bottom and the lift gate. Along bass bin #2 was the first of the top cabinets, also well wrapped to prevent rubbing. All the side grills were wrapped and placed in strategic positions in the back. Top cabinet #2 rode shotgun on the way home. That was the closest fit of any of the components, and I had to move the seat as far back as possible and recline it so that it didn't impact bass bin #1 just behind. Everything in back was moved resting on one of those heavy duty furniture pads so as not to get scratched by any of the seat hardware. Moving every 3 years with the Air Force sure has honed my packing skills.

I'll tell you what, with all the pillows, flannel sheets, bed spreads, old towels, etc in the back, it must have looked like I was going to a slumber party. But they all came in handy for the return trip. So if anyone else is looking to pick up Khorns, I can attest everything does fit in a 4-dr Explorer. Just don't count on having any passengers. 2.gif

More reports to come as things progress along. Anyone have ideas about the "whiskers" on the magnets?

Rob

I`ve never seen or been apart of a web-site forum that is so kind and helpful to others that share their passion. It`s fun to just sit back and see the jubilation of everyone when a member of this board makes a good score. Allow me also to offer you an enthusiastic congratulations on you purchase. 4.gif

Congrats on the 68's Jhawk92. I would have loved the 68's but thank the Klipsch God for Frzninvt to let me in on a pair of 67's 20 mins from home. I know you will love the 68's they did look in great shape from the pics I received of them. I am still trying to figure out how in the hell you fit them into an explorer. If I would have got their and I needed to rip out the front seats and sit on milk crates to get them home I would have. HaHa

See Ya.

Doug

Middle-

Yep, I agree. This board has been a wealth of info for me, from the day I found it. Of course, it has cost me a good amount of wealth too, but it's a relatively harmless hobby.

Doug-

Congrats to you then as well. A 20 minute drive is quite lucky. I had about 2.5hrs, which I'll still consider lucky. As I said above, I did my homework on getting everything inside. But I did have a fallback plan. I have a basket rig on the roof and could have fit one, if not both, top cabinets up there (well padded of course) and then secured with a strong cargo net. But I really wanted everything to travel in AC and not pick up any road damage. It was certainly an interesting drive.

Just think Jhawk92, you could of went out and got a set of 2003's for about $7,500 not bad. HaHa

You just invested a fraction of the cost compared to new and will in all likelyhood get close to the same results out of something 34 yrs old.

Isn't owning a KLIPSCH product great.

Doug