1960 walnut Klipschorns on eBay, Portland Oregon area

Parrot

paulparrot-

Thanks for the encouragement. I remember there was a pair of Klipschorns like this on Ebay on the East Coast a few months ago and I actually started to think about what it would take to ship them. Here's pair that's just as cool in my backyard so why not? I've sold off my three pairs of Cornwalls (even though one pair is still waiting for shipping) and one pair of Heresys, so that totals up to the same amount of volume, right? I'll remember to try that explanation on my wife if I win the auction...

Also appreciate your observation on the newsletter comment re midrange driver. I'll have to dig out my photocopies from Artto and have another read. The owner of these khorns insists there are no mods or repairs, but during 40 years we all forget a few things. One sad note--he had all the old paperwork up until a few months ago when he went on a binge with the paper shredder and it's all gone. Ouch!

If I win this auction is there anyone in Oregon (sorry m00n, I realize it's a little late) or elsewhere intereested in a pair of 1977 Belles (all stock) with oiled walnut veneer and black grilles? The cabinets have some water rings on top from the first owner which I have not yet tried to clean up.

Best in horns,

triceratops

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

triceratops,

I had pm'd you about an interest in being a part of this event but am afraid I cannot fit the Belle's into my space.15.gif Just measured (for the third time) and my opening is...(4th time) 96". 26" for my component rack, 30" x 2 for the Belles and I'm left with not much room to negotiate. Trying to convince myself, but don't think it'll do them justice. You don't have some more cornwall/chorus(heresy's) hiding around up there do you?

My dilema aside & if this is any help: If I had two corners available I'd be on my way to P-town!

Good luck!

paul

Triceratops, if I were in your shoes, I would be all over these. Space or no space, these are da bomb. So what if they aren't "mint"......how good could a 43 year old pair of speakers look? Hell, I would just store 'em until I had room! Klipschorns don't take up as much room as you might think, especially if they are corner placed (as opposed to false-cornering them).

Hope ya get 'em.....

BTW, check your email regarding "the crate".

Triceratops, my brother in law may be interested in the Belle's. What are you planning on asking for them? They are in the finish that he prefers, are the grills black? Got any photos that you could share? He is in Oklahoma, where are you located? Please advise. Thanks!

With all due respect, I think mine hold a candle in terms of raw beauty - they do not have the plexi logo or wooden horn, and frankly, I've not even heard them yet - they are in the garage waiting on the house - but they are lookers.

FWIW - I paid $2,500 for the pair, and another $500 for minimovers.com to move them San Francisco to North Carolina. It took about 3 months for all this to transpire.

post-10157-13819247388492_thumb.jpg

Those are very nice older Khorns in stunning condition. I love the pie slice logos and older grillwork. What finish is on those? It looks really sharp! I bet you can't wait to get those in place, if it were me I would find a place to put them, corner or no corner.

frzninvt-

Thanks for the interest in the Belles--they won't go up for sale unless I win the auction for the Khorns. If that happens, I'll have to sell just about everything! I'll get back to you with more info and pix of the Belles if I get lucky on the Khorns.

dndphishin-

You're absolutely right about "mint" not being expected or important for a speaker of this age. They are in good enough shape for me. I was just observing how casually most people use the word "mint" to describe items that are good to excellent condition. Mint is not what I'm looking for, but that is how they described these speakers, and they are not mint by any stretch.

radiohead-

The listening test was not a real listening test. The speakers are hooked up to a very marginal system which sounded very bassy and muddy. I think the loudness compensation was probably on. The speakers were standing way out in the room. I realized I would have a difficult time telling much about the sound under those circumstances, so I concentrated on learning about the history, originality, etc. of this pair and how the owner aquired them.

paul cbc-

Thanks for the PMs--I have responded and will keep you posted of any of my gear smaller than the Belles that goes up for sale.

cybernalt-

Absolutely drop-dead gorgeous!

Best to all,

triceratops

I just won the auction for the 1960 Khorns. I am shocked and very happy. Thanks to paulparrot who started the thread and everyone else on the Forum who encouraged me. Now I will have to sell everything else to pay for the Khorns, so I'll be posting info about that as soon as I figure out prices, etc. Thanks again to all you Khorn-o-philes!

Best in horns,

triceratops

I was interrested in a pair of '88's that were located near me. 5 Hours before auction close, my bid (not the high bid at the time) was cancelled, and the auction ended w/o a sale. Reason given was "Item listed incorrectly," but should have read "Busted for shill bidding." I thought eBay's cornerstone was honesty?

BTW, triceratops, you scored big time! Congratulations! May I visit them (and you, too, I guess) if I'm ever up that way?

fini

Congratulations on the deal of the century! I actually made my wife look at those just to show her what beautiful speakers they are and of course how much I want a pair. Unfortunately she wasn't impressed in the slightest. Oh well, I'm happy for you anyway.2.gif

Congratulations !!

Those horns are so beautiful that I was almost willing to rescind my deal with that turkey in Kelowna after he pulled his mindfark and put in a bomb bid and buy them,( I would have gone to U$3500.00 +/-). Lest anybody think I be a fat cat - the reality is that I am 59 and the Reaper keeps smirking at me. I barely have the proverbial pot but by God I was going to have a pair of Khorns and those are about the prettiest I have ever seen.

Enjoy Them, Love Them, and try to ensure that they ultimately go to someone who will Enjoy...etc.

Tri-

I'd say you got them for a great deal. I would have figured they would have gone for over $3K. Guess you were right Jim Cornell! I know you will really enjoy them and it's great you got a chance to hear them first. Not many eBay experiences happen that way. If those were any closer, I'd have thrown a bid in. Nothing like 2 pr of '60s Khorns!

----------------

On 5/21/2003 8:01:37 PM Cybernalt wrote:

Thank you all for the kind words. I was told they are African Mohogany, but I really don't know. I am certainly looking forward to hooking them up.

----------------

According to the factory tags on 'em K-B-WO these are Klipschorns model B in Walnut Oil finish.

Beautiful still the same.

I almost bought a set in African Mohagony and they were quite differet in the finish-at least from the pics I was sent.

Jeff

Thanks guys!! I am SO psyched to be getting these!

fini-

You're certainly welcome to stop by if you're in the area. It will take me a while to get these set up though, and my remaining speakers will have to be sold off to make room.

garymd-

My wife is great, but this purchase stressed even her limits. I managed to demonstrate where I could raise the money and promise to reshuffle my priorities a bit--eventually she gave her support. She's going to really appreciate these once they are all set up.

paulparrot-

Yeah, for me this is kind of the culmination of several years of Klipsch tinkering. These will be keepers.

lynnm-

I'm just glad that guy in Kelowa didn't totally blow it with you! You would have blasted me out of the water with a $3.5K bid. I feel they were definitely worth it, but I just put in my absolute max and hoped for the best.

Jim-

If you would email the pix that would be fantastic. Thanks!

jhawk97-

I didn't think I had much chance of winning--I also thought they would go for more, and am really glad they didn't.

Best regards,

triceratops