Best DVD Concerts

arthurs

Amazing that I had to go all the way to the fourth page to find the first (and only!) mention of U2's "Rattle and Hum"!! The non-concert footage is maddening at times but the concert itself is pure, vintage U2. From "Bad" onwards (track 14?), it's some of the best concert footage ever shot. The amazing part is how long they can hold a shot without a cut... I think I timed one portion of "Where the Streets Have No Name" at over two minutes from the same camera! The sound is brilliant, the performances stunning, and the grainy B&W footage on most of the performance tracks is a sight to behold.

I recommend it more highly than any other U2 performance.

I am equally amazed that more than one person mentioned how amazing "U2 Live in Boston" is. To me, this is a great audio recording of a truly marginal performance (marginal for U2 at least). I don't know why ANYONE likes this disc, as Bono's voice is nowhere near his usual standard. He had lost his voice in a concert a few days prior in Albany, NY and had to have the crowd help him sing the songs, and he was still on the mend for this show. Instrumentally it can't be faulted, and the sound is indeed quite good, but the centerpiece of the band was having an off night and that kills the whole experience. No surprise that they turned around and released:

"U2 Go Home". Another concert from the same tour as the Boston show, at least in promotion of the same album, but much better concert footage and Bono's voice is up to his usual standard. Great sound, great performance, and better than average video. Strongly recommended to anyone who wants a recent show but doesn't want to watch (and listen) as Bono's voice deteriorates as the show goes on, as one is subjected to with Live in Boston.

BTW... Thanks, y'all, for repeatedly pointing out that Peter Gabriel's "Secret World" is on DVD. Somehow I'd missed that. Guess I will run off to BB and pick up a copy!

----------------

On 2/15/2004 10:30:55 PM Joe Shmoe wrote:

No doubt in my mind BBB...LOL

I have just ordered, Eagles- when hell freezes over, G3 in concert, and I want to get Some more Satriani.

----------------

Ha haaaaaaaa. Yeah right. These are the same characters that said they would get together again when "hell freezes over" OR how much money is left in the Hotel California. Which ever pays best. Give me a break. As solo artists they have some fantastic musicians who I happen to like a lot.Together they're just another wallet-stool balancing act. AND they know it. These guys have said so many bad things about each other that just the fact that they are even on the same stage is a testament in itself to the power of the almighty buck.I have to admit they have more guts than I do to throw their self respect out the window after letting the world know that they think each of their bandmates is a jerk.

So you might say "what does it matter. They sound good together.They buried the hatchet" Yeah, buried it in the bank vault door.Well I say I'm not giving my money to anyone that USED to be a musician that plays JUST for money. That's because they are in love with something else....and it's not the music. What a giant waste of talent writing crap that insures your spot on the top of Billboard. What will happen to them once the bucks of summer are gone? I suppose they'll go back to calling themselves names until the "Hell Freezes over Again with Snowball in Hand" album is released. he he he he he he

----------------

On 5/25/2003 10:02:16 PM Jabez Scratch wrote:

Rush is putting out a new concert DVD this summer called "Rush in Rio" -- it will be a multi-disc package and in DTS so it should be outstanding.

----------------

I heard this ended up being crap... Anyone?

Two that I like that I didn't see mentioned(maybe I missed) are Tom Petty-High Grass Dogs and Bad Company-don't recall the title but I'm pretty sure it's the only one they have out. Good performances as well as recordings. As far as what I consider to be the best concert dvd as being a reference standard, Steely Dan-Plush TV.

----------------

On 2/19/2004 9:37:18 PM sdfan wrote:

Two that I like that I didn't see mentioned(maybe I missed) are Tom Petty-High Grass Dogs and Bad Company-don't recall the title but I'm pretty sure it's the only one they have out. Good performances as well as recordings. As far as what I consider to be the best concert dvd as being a reference standard, Steely Dan-Plush TV.

----------------

You WIN,SD plush tv is the best music/quality dvd on the market,reference without doubt.The Bad Co is also outstanding,Merchants of Cool.

moon,I don't know that the Rush is total crap but it has about 40000 people singing back up and screaming.This really gets in the way of the music which is what most of us want to hear.If you are a Rush fan,which we are,you prolly should have it but its not for critical listening.Someone mentioned Joe Satriani again,Live in SF is a double disc,killer concert,another MUST have.Just one more that may not have been mentioned,Eric Burdon and the new animals,top notch sound that really surprised me.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't read all 4 pages of this post, so if its been mentioned ad nauseum please forgive me......

when I was graced with the chance to check out JMOT's spectacular Khorn/herritage home theater we listened to the QUEEN DVD. I don't really like Queen all that much, but JMOT showed me a few facts about it. The one that stuck with me was that this DVD was done BY DTS. This sold me.

we popped it in, and did the whole "Bohemian Rahpsody" thing and, I have to say I've never heard a better example of DTS in anything, movies, music,...anything.

This DVDs mastering is absolutely incredible. It made me sad that a QUEEN DVD was the best out there, but it still was SUPER IMPRESSIVE.

I would Recommend it highly.

I also like Sarah Mclachlan's MIRRORBALL-but mainly cause of the song "ICE" in 5.1

when it comes to music, for the most part i guess I'm still a two-channel kinda' guy......

Based on recommendations from this thread - I bought the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" today. All I can say is - DAMN!

The sound quality in DTS is ASTOUNDING. I cannot believe this level of sound quality is possible on a live recording.

All I can say is - DAMN!

Euell

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know why the Joh Fogerty Premonition DVD is $63 dollars on Amazon? I ordered it at Towers for $23, but it is back-ordered?!

What's up with that? I've got it Netflixed at the moment, but really want my own copy.. just didn't want to be fleeced for it.