Brand New Voice of the Theater in box for sale

Just got word that Altec Lansing is selling the VOT again! $8,000 a pair, not far from the Klipsch Horn.

specs_frntrt_pop.jpg

Technical Specs

Frequency range: 35 Hz - 22 kHz

LF Unit: 15" Altec Model 515-8G

HF Unit: Altec Model 902-8T with Model 511B die cast sectoral horn

Crossover Network: Model N-900A at 900 Hz

Power Handling: 200 W nominal

Sensitivity: 97 dB at 2.83V at 1 meter

System Weight: 170 lbs.

Dimensions: 30" (w) x 24" (d) x 54" (h)

Two horn mounting options

Pretty cool eh?

The downloads on this page are in portable document format (PDF) and require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5. If you do not have this program, click here to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader plug-in.

On a side note, a replica of these could be made, that in fact could be a lot more sensitive, for a lot less than $8000. Just a thought...

Other than that, they are pretty nice, though I wouldn't buy them for that price tag.

did you guys notice this little item from the owners manual PDF?

frequency response +10dB -10dB is 35Hz to 22KHz

plus or minus TEN dB?

oops, here's the real number:

Low Frequency Roll-Off at -3dB is 54Hz.

Why, these things are _almost_ as good as a pair of LaScala's!

But, you can get two pair of LS for $8800 and have a couple grand left over.

Thanks but no thanks, I'll stick with Klipsch.

Tom

Yeah, we went around about this a couple weeks back when I saw an article in an industry mag. LFE has not been nor will be their strong point, but it's good to see them back in production. They are also going to produce some direct radiator towers.

I think I'll take some Khorns, or 5 pairs of RF-7's. those things are ugly, gigantic and probably sound more like ocmmercial speakers than home ones, by that I mean grainy, heavy midrange, and loose uncontrolled bass. they also look like commercial speakers.

prodj----Obviously you've never heard VOTs. Don't rap them until you've heard them kid.

I've owned Klipsch LaScalas and Cornwalls and VOTs, both A7-500s and A5s. IMO the Altecs are the better speakers; smoother and more palpable, more liflelike and with a fuller, more robust midrange. VOTs have very low distortion and hair-trigger dynamics. The parts are of MUCH higher quality than those used by Klipsch, not that that means they sound better, just that they're made better.

VOTs do lack low bass, no doubt about it. But somehow the combination of the 416 woofer and the 825 cabinet reproduces well recorded electric bass as well as anything I've ever heard. Listen to Duck Dunn's playing on The Blues Brothers DVD over a VOT, man it sounds like he's in the room with ya. And compared to LSs and CWs the very high end is a little soft though I consider it cleaner than the Klipsch top end. But my best friend thinks CWs sound better than Altecs, that why we traded his Altec 605s for my CWs. :-)

But my point here is not so much to compare Klipsch and Altec but to assure the ignorant that the VOT is a VERY fine horn speaker. It isn't perfect but no speaker is. And when I talked to PWK many years ago he said that he thought very highly of the VOT. So there you go.

Too big? Ugly? yadda yadda?

Sounds like Bose talk to me...

"Those speakers are so big and ugly. My BOSE cubes are 2x4 inches and they sound awesome with powerful bass and super treble"... You know the drill.

Don't knock it till you try it. I thought headphone lovers were freaks... till I got HD-600's.

Prodj, you, kenrat, goosechaser, trespasserguy, even myself (well, until almost a year ago) are all "kids". Less than 18, not an adult, still a kid. Not long till you will be able to call someone else a kid hehe.

I will be 19 in thirteen days! Better start saving up for my presents guys!

Tom has it right folks. These are great to see back and it is a very good sound. Between these and larger heritage stuff it is a real preference issue - quite honestly they are very similar.

In today's sound engineered with the greater LF extension, few (IMO none)full range speakers will get a satisfactory LF extension. I wouldn't knock that spec at all - I would plan on assisting LF in most situations regardless of the speaker brand and type.