just lost THE definition of unconditional love

avman

my avatar is a picture of my labrador retreiver. we have been together for 13yrs.only about an hour before i got home,he died.he's had a problem w/thunderstorms, and i guess it got to be too much for him.

i'm posting this because i've found friends on this bb,and i needed to let y'all know.

i will keep the picture of him as my avatar from now on-in his memory.

for those of you who know what i'm feeling,i could go on and on telling of the love we had for each other.

for those who don't understand,please,be a friend and try.the title of this post says it all..

i will miss and always love Bud-my definition of unconditional love.

heartbroken-avman.8.gif

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

avman~

Sorry to hear about your loss. I was there a few years ago with my dog. She lived to be 17 years old until I finally had to have her put to sleep. Definitely a very sad day in my life. Hang in there. Many of us can relate to what you're feeling today.

~shoe

So sorry. This is probably going to come off wrong, but I have more brawn than brains...

After your post about your dognapping and the eventual return of your canine friend, I downloaded the doggie pic to both of my computers for use in a later post which would have ultimately had me ransoming your dog for some merchandise from your N.O. store. It makes me sad that we couldn't share the joke, and that the smiling dog couldn't be in on it.

Hugs...from Cluless,Blackie, and Stripe

OH...NOOOOOO!!......You have my deepest sympathys...Theres nothing like loosing your best friend in the world. And what makes it worse is you weren't there to see him off. It's just heartbreaking to think about it. I just hope that everybody on the forum says a prayer for him tonight, I know I will ...and I'm not a religious person. show us some pictures of him and, Yes by all means keep the avatar in his memory...sincerely.....gc

clu-you are SO witty,i can still appreciate the humor. i'm signing off for tonite,THANKS MUCH for the replies.

in the past,he damaged a couple of my speakers due to his behavior w/thunderstorms,but they are as good as new,and i couldn't fuss at him about it. this is a large hole in my heart,thanks to all for the kind words,it means alot.

avman.

Avman,I've got an 18 year old cat and a 12 year old dog that is terrified of storms,worse every year.I think I will soon know just how bad you must be feeling.I am very sorry to hear of your loss of a great friend.

My dog, Lars,..is deathly scared of fireworks....so I'm glad that time of year is over.....I almost lost him last year..he got out of the back yard while my brother ,my kid and me were changing a waterpump on the work truck...the next thing I know is my kid is telling Lars to "get out of there"...I turned around and saw him by a very small puddle of antifreeze. My heart sunk into my socks and panic set in...we called the vet, and they said to give him some hydrogen peroxide...to make hin vomit...well we did that and he never vomited. So we took him to the vets..and they made him di it and packed him full of "charcoal". They said his chances were not good..it could take up to 7 days for the poison to set in.....well he made it through...Don't ever think there is no power in prayer....either that or he didn't lick any antifreeze....I'll choose the former.......gc

My heart's out to you for your loss. I own 4 cats (or do they own me?); the oldest is over 17 and a diabetic (gets his insulin shot every morning). He's weak and doesn't eat as much as he used to, but he's ever so faithful (like your Bud). They're all part of the family...I don't consider them pets, and I'd do anything for them. I have more respect for these animals than I do for most people. They're wonderful, and when you lose one, it is like losing a child or other family member...because they are family! 12.gif

AVman,

for more than a decade, your love has been reflected back to you in greater glory than anyone who has not had a lab could realize. As your pain and grief lessen, and wonderful memories again fill your heart with joy, there may be another special lab from lab rescue that could find joy and love in your house. I pray that peace and happiness will grace you in the difficult days and weeks ahead.

Dave

Avman,

I would like to also extend my sympathy to you; the first pet my wife and I had was a black and white cat we named "Cosmos"... he was especially affectionate with my wife (she was his "mommy"), and warmed up to me the last five years or so that he was alive, napping on my lap, and kneading my stomach at bedtime (you cat-owners know what I'm talking about...).

The last few years of his life, he began throwing up quite a bit; I usually had at least five messes a week to clean up, and generally more. In the fall of 2001, he began to be lackluster to the point that we took him to the vet to see what was going on... this was Monday, September 10, which is very easy to remember, given what happened the next day.

I was at work, and my wife called my in tears at midday to tell me that the vet had called to let us know that Cosmos had advanced liver disease, exploratory surgery might yield more detail, but his quality of life would most likely not improve. The recommendation was to put him to sleep; my wife and I were not able to be present (she didn't think she could handle it, I couldn't leave work until after the vet's office closed, and we couldn't bear to pick him up and have him another night, knowing what was going to come).

We never saw him again. Man, what a rough week. The terrorist attacks came the next day, and it was Friday until we even had a chance to sit down and discuss with our then-9-year-old daughter about what we felt, and the necessary life lessons to take away from the experience: generally, that you never know when you leave someone, for even a few hours, if you'll ever see them again, so that you should be careful not to part with harsh words or bad feelings. And the more obvious conclusion: that life if precious, to cherish and make the most of the time you spend with those you love; and to always remember. We shared stories of the better times we had with our kitty, some of the many things that our pets will do that might drive us crazy, or make us laugh.

Take heart; the deepest sorrow doesn't last, although I still get a lump in my throat remembering. I consider that a good thing, though... it means I haven't forgotten what he meant to us, and that all of us are human and, ultimately, mortal.

Hey av... Very sorry to hear about the loss... Pets do become one of the family and just like a child. Always hurts when they go.

My parents lost thier dog of about 12 years not long ago. Tore my dad to peices. Hope things can get better for you soon.

Avman

I've been through that with a couple of dogs and cats. It plain hurts like hell !

As pointed out above a day will come when you will be able to think of Bud and smile . There will likely always however be times when you think of him and feel a little teary. That is entirely normal and is simply a measure of the love you shared.

Sorry to hear about Bud, Avman.

It's tough losing a best friend.

Never easy.

I had a handsome Alaskan Malamute that was given to me for my first birthday.

When I turned 15, he had to be put down.

Didn't understand why.

It was a difficult time in my life.

But, after a while, the broken hearted feelings were replaced with fond memories and joyus recollections.

Now, I have 2 kids, 2 dogs, and 2 cats.

It's like having 6 children.

The thought of losing them is always in the back of my mind.

I don't think anyone can truly prepare for the death of a loved one.

All we can do is make the most out of the time that they are here.

Hello Avman:

On behalf of my wife and me, our heartfelt sympathies go out to you.

I had a German Shepard/Husky prior to marriage and he lived 10 years into the marriage. "Smokie" had the brains of a Shepard and the looks/beauty of the Husky. The combination (he had the Shepard black dimples,) made him with his black coloring, he looked like a wolf.

I got him from our animal shelter. He was naturally protective. If I whappened to be walking down the street he would go in front of me and stand between a person and me. He also was progressive in protection. If you tried to hit me, he would take your hand in his mouth and hold. If you tried again, you received a nip in the butt, a third time, he would go for your throat.

We also had a full blooded Northern German Shepard. He went through the Academy and was fully trained.

Both males, they got along tremendously.

Not having children, "Smokie" and "Whine-oh" - a stray my neighbors found covered in snow, I was to take him to the Shelter, as I sat on the kitchen floor, he came over lay down with his head in my lap and started whining, hence the "Whine-oh" name.

Our dogs were our children. When it came time that due to health they had to be put down, as we boarded them at our Vet's, the Vet, receptionist and I were crying like babies. I was there because they were always there for me.

The Vet even had a grief counselor call. Over the next few weeks one or the other of us would break down and cry, we had lost a member of our family each time. Invariably some person would say "it was only a dog, or you should get another one right away."

Our dogs , our children, our protectors, our friends. Only a dog, I'm glad I can control my temper with that remark. It would be unfair to get another as they were so good another dog would have a lot to live up to, that's not fair, it would also insult their memories.

I extend my full sympathies on your loss, Avman. For what it's worth I do believe all dogs go to heaven and they're with my parents and W.G. watching over me. But I do miss them, but so glad I had them for the time I did.

Take care and remember you have friends on the Forum.

Win dodger

Avman. Im very sorry to hear of the loss of your loving friend, Bud. In reality Im known as a pretty tough character however few things that I have endured in this crazy world I live in have affected me as much as loosing a devoted sidekick. People associate you with the pet you have decided to love and take care of for his, her or your life. Did you ever notice how friends and family would come to pay a visit to you AND Bud? You become one and the same in many respects. That is why when you loose a friend like Bud it is appropriate to say that you have lost a part of yourself as well. The emptiness you feel can be devastating at times and can only be understood by people like us who have experienced it. It is probably difficult at this time to bring to memory all the great moments you and Bud shared together but store them away for future smiles and grins now while they are still fresh in your mind. In my case the heartache of loosing my loving companions has never disappeared but the hurt does subside. You set aside a certain amount of your life to be around these dependant and adoring companions and their passing leaves a void, which is something that can only be filled with the love in your heart. I send all my best wishes to you and Buds family and friends. BBB