First Impressions

cluless

I want each of you to think of someone that you would like to invite to visit this forum and guess at what their opinion would be if one of the very first posts that they encountered had a screaming headline regarding *** Hair. Apparently, most of the guys here think its funny, but would you invite your girlfriends, wives, children, co-workers, a potential Klipsch buyer to see this?

In saying this, I am probably one of the worse offenders for Off topic and off color posts,and if anyone should ever suggest that I edit one of my posts to get rid of offensive material, I will always be happy to comply.

Agreed. I read this forum at work, I would hate if the president of the company walked up behind me and happened to glance at the list of topics and see something fairly off-color. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Topics which are off-topic of audio or klipsch should be marked in the topic as "OT" or "Off topic" and topics should never have titles with anything you wouldn't say in front of a 4 year old. IE: for the specific one being referred to , the topic could be "Joke- OT".

-mkl

• Like 1

The biggest mistake made by KAIN was his topic title. Although it was somewhat humorous (but not appropriate for this forum), I actually had to minimize when my daughter came into the room yesterday due to the fact that the first 7 or 8 topic titles were from that thread. Can you at least edit the title please?

In my view, the webmaster should delete the topic. Also, KAIN should be banned again.

In the past I've advocated self policing like on the ham radio bands. No sex, religion, or politics. Toilet functions were not even contemplated, but obviously also taboo.

We've also had some boarderline topics which at first view have a lot of merit. My daughter is going to war (it was heartening to hear about it and lend support). I'm annoyed over the pledge of allegiance and the non-mention of God (bar room talk with little appreciation of the issue but not too bad) . Unfortunately these become a lightning rod for heated emotion. So, even mild topics away from audio have the potential to start a fire fight. It can get ugly.

I daresay that some of our friends here get a little drunk and blow off steam from time to time.

Maybe the webmaster should hear that we would not mind more control and censorship.

Gil

I am behind you all the way (pun not intended).

Off topic posts such as Jim Cornell's, while not Klipsch or audio related, I feel are "ok". They at least should not be compared to that from Kain etc. My parents got in a really bad car accident about two years ago, I posted about it on the bulletin board because I did not know who to talk to, glad I did. But at the same time, this is not a Blog, this is not a soap box, and this is not a political forum (pun intended).

ahh you guys are a bunch of hard *** hypocrits. every one of you has posted on numerous VERY off topic threads, and I even remember clu going to the trouble of photo shopping something for an off topic thread. just settle down, it's not a big deal. jeez, lol.

Blog? Please tell me more. It makes some sense in context.

Okay, you're all correct. I'm too severe in suggesting that things should be restricted to audio. "I renounce my evil self."

I'd like to think that we've all made some friends here and it can be a good place to discuss personal experiences and, even, heart wrenching problems. That can cover a lot of stuff. One of our friends lost his dog, for example. I'm in complete agreement that this is the place to share it.

We have friends with custody of kids problems (this can be dangerous because it invites subjective judgment in divorce, between the parties, and the state's judgment on who might or might not be a good parent and the like). That is a very hot button.

We also had a girlfriend, new lover raped her, maybe, what to do about it, quagmire. Muddied facts, potential hot buttton. Too complicated.

People discuss their own medical problems, etc. Fine, I say. Not a hot buttton.

Still. there should be some limitation on subject matter. It is not too hard and is based on common sense. Is this subject matter and the tone in which it is presented something I'd be comfortable discussing at work? If so, okay.

If it is something you'd only discuss in private with a good friend, then it doesn't belong on the forum.

If it is something you'd only discuss with your physician or lover, then it doesn't belong on the forum.

If it is something which you use to gross out the guys in the locker room, you should be banned.

There are no bright lines of objective judgment. There is, though, some common understanding of what is acceptable in polite society. I'm not prudish; I'd like to see things polite.

Gil

i agree. the topic was tasteless, i come here to become educated not offended, at work we talk in this manner, i have become used to it over time, but i gladly leave it at work, i was very surprised that it managed to not be deleted, i wonder what kind of mind ponders these things?12.gif

Off Topic is ok with me but,THAT was over the top.I also did not even crack a smile and I laugh at mindless humor every day.I know funny,that was not,it was kinda sick,and why would anyone share that anyway?

Well folks you need to remember - you have the remote control in your keyboard and don't need to revisit offensive material.

HOWEVER - I will agree to offensive message titles being disallowed - let's let common sense set the rules. Kain - your message title could not be construed as anything more than crude and possibly offensive and there is no real reason to side with you on a free speech basis.

I see the moderators removed the offensive word from the topic title (I haven't been to that thread since I last posted in it; is the "A" word modified there as well?). That's fine with me.

The moderators also decided to let the thread continue to post. That's fine, I can live with that.

I'm against all forms of censorship. I'm no book burner. Free speech is what makes this country great! Granted, it was a tasteless story that served no purpose on this forum other than to make people laugh. Whether you found it funny or not is strictly up to you.

It's unfortunant how our children are exposed to certain taboos of our day, and today's parents do have a difficult task of keeping as much of it away from them as humanly possible. I'm not a parent, so I will not preach on how any of it should be done, or if we as a society should do more...it's obvious that we should, but I'm in no position to dictate how people should live and act. Children will be exposed to sex, drugs, and violence; parents will just have to teach them right from wrong, and to use common sense.

If certain subjective matter offends you, then don't waste your time on it...don't read it, watch it, or listen to it. Change the channel, go to a different radio station, don't watch that movie, don't play that video game.

But don't dictate to me how I should live my life (I'm not pointing fingers at cluless or anyone here on this forum; it's just a generalized statement). This is a free society of which everyone has a right to say and think what they want (as long as it's not detrimental to another's life, or breaking any laws). I personally despise all hate groups and any crimes committed against others. But such hate groups continue to exist (as they did centuries before), and I choose not to listen to their messages. I'm a Roman Catholic who believes in God my own way, and I'm not going to judge or convert others who practice other faiths. I can't stand rap music either, but it doesn't mean that others should be kept from listening to it. I believe that the moderators on this BB feel the same way (that censorship is not a good thing), so my thoughts are; if you don't like what you read here, then just go to a different thread, that's all.

Sorry for rambling on...it's just my opinion.

I understand what Kain was doing...gotta admit things been pretty boreing around here the last week or so.....even I'm tryin' to think up new threads that keep us commin' back to see who posted something new...going as far as to check out past threads and bump them up to rekindle some good ole' times............(no I won't bump up the "all your base belong to us" thing...thats someonelses job!!!!I spent too long reading that one this morning anyway)..........as for kains I think if your going to post something like that...just set a link and put a disclamer by it...so people that dont want to see it.. dont hafta go there...........I still thought it was funny must be a guy thing I guess..............gc

Jeez...This is not a matter of civil rights or freedom of speech. Its a matter of courtesy, and being aware of who your audience is. This is not a locker room of 14 year old boys discussing bodily functions...or at least I thought it wasn't. And you guys wonder why there are so few females wandering these boards...

Clueless...as always

Civil rights and that blather is not an excuse for poor taste and judgment. Be thoughtful and considerate of others when posting in a board such as this. If it might offend some and not others, private it to the ones that will find it funny, don't burden or bothers those who won't. The post didn't bother me, the lack of consideration of the how inappropriate or uncomfortable it might be for some of our members did.

Funny, we love to debate what is or isn't an appropriate topic for this board, and the only topic to get universal support with zero disagreement is audio. Wonder what an intelligent, thoughtful person might infer from that???? Peace.

I gotta admit I'm with Clu on this one. I don't talk that way, don't read material with that kind of content and see no need to. I'm not a prude, but why have it around? After the first couple of lines I exited it and have ignored it..

Marvel

While Kain's post may be construed as inappropriate I think that it should be allowed on the forum as many other topics are that are not Klipsch related. However, I do think the title should have been changed from the start. I know if I were just visiting this forum and saw a thread like that I would be forced to wonder just what kind of bulletin board Klipsch runs.

But that's just my take...

----------------

On 7/26/2003 8:21:10 PM Marvel wrote:

..."I don't talk that way, don't read material with that kind of content and see no need to. I'm not a prude, but why have it around? After the first couple of lines I exited it and have ignored it.."

Marvel

----------------

That's what I tried to say; I just got a little carried away with my post, but I wanted everyone to know just where I stand on this issue.

And the Klipsch Forum moderators also felt that the thread could stay; they just cleaned up the title.

I don't go around making posts such as the one Kain made, but it didn't hurt my feelings either. Sure, out of common courtesy for others, the topic should've never been brought up in the first place. But it was, and after you start reading into it and it offends you, then get out of the post and onto another topic of discussion.

Clu: I actually don't think that most guys thought it was funny. I didn't. It's more likely that those that did think it was funny are young boys under 20. At least that would be my guess. I also didn't care for that post and don't think it was appropriate. This is not a matter of freedom or speach or sensorship, it is a matter of appropriateness and politeness. If you wouldn't tell a joke to your parents (or grandparents), then why in the world would you post it here? Afterall, some people's parents and grandparents do read this forum, not to mention that there are also some ladies here.

I still believe the Klipsch Forum is the best one on the internet. However, it is posts like that one (among others) that chip away at it. If more posts like showed up on the forum, I'll be less likely to visit. Heck, I rarely come to the General forum anymore because of things like this.

cluless,

Well said some members are inhaling too much petrol fumes and start posting grotesque discoveries.Its an audio forum and at least if we do not stick to audio lets stay away from fly infested subjects.

Now all is running smooth,anyone here interested by the pics of my bloody fingers after I failed to build my DIY sub? 1.gif