Think Good Thoughts

fini

My youngest daughter goes in for a tonsillectomy this morning. A fairly routine opperation, but she (12 yo) is pretty nervous (mainly about the I.V.). I figure it can't hurt to have some additional positive energy floating around today. Thanks!

fini

Happy thoughts to ya. Tell her how many of us have done this (almost all over the age of 30?) and focus on the post op party...icecream, a day of two of being attened to hand and foot by the parents...best of luck, let us know when it is all over and it is icecream time! tony

I've had ether twice in my life, both times in the 1950's. If she had ever had ether, she would be jumping for joy at the thought of anesthetic through an I.V. When I had surgery on the other end a couple of years ago (once you hit 50, everything goes through THAT end), the anesthetic was one of the best parts.

Fini,

A lot of folks thought I was nuts (or worse), but this helped with my little guy when he needed hernia surgury...

I didn't *DOWNPLAY* the discomfort, I sort of pumped it up.

"Nick, this surgury is going to hurt, and I know that, and I'm sorry, but it will make you feel a lot better. You're a pretty big guy now, I think you'll be able to handle it okay. Your mom and I will be right here with you. It won't hurt very long, but it will hurt. Don't be surprised. Are you ready to do this? Good guy! We love you, and we'll be right here with you..."

He was ready for something to hurt him a lot, and surprise of surprises, it didn't hurt nearly as much as he'd been prepared for. He felt like he was the kind of the world, because he could handle it and it wasn't really that bad.

I realize this is kind of a contrary way of approaching things like this, but I'd never do anything less for Nickolas than prepare him for the worst, so reality would (almost always) prove better than expected.

Thank you, one and all, for the kind wishes! She is now home and doing very well. Once she got past the I.V. stick (she handled it like a champ) all was smooth sailing. The surgeon did a tonsil and adnoid laser ablasion, the new and improved high tech version of a tonsillectomy. She's really in pretty little discomfort (the Tylenol w/codeine certainly is helping). She's even got 11 days of ice cream and pampering before she's back in school! Great hospital (Kaiser), wonderful surgeon and staff. My wife and I could not be happier. And I would swear we felt those good vibes from all of you!!

fini

P.S. In the hour since we arrived home, she's had soup, mashed potatoes, pasta, two popsicles, and a dish of ice cream. I think she's getting the hang of this...