NOS VALVES!!

collins8

I just wanted to take a minute and let everyone know what a great job Craig did with my old HK A500 integrated amp.

I had bought a top of the line rebuild kit from Vacuum tube valley. A friend and I did the work and the amp sounded very bright and to be honestly it sounded horrible!!

Sent it to Craig and now the thing is a very warm and a pleasing amp to listen to. I had no idea one of these amps could sound so good. I have a Sony STR DA5ES Home theatre receiver with KLF-20 speakers and this old tube amp blows that sony away as far as giving you a pleasing warm musical sound.

I would highly recommend NOS Valves to anyone needing some vintage amp work done. He takes pride in his work and his customer service is superb. I do not recomend Vacuum tube valley!

Rob

----------------

On 9/8/2003 2:58:03 PM collins8 wrote:

I just wanted to take a minute and let everyone know what a great job Craig did with my old HK A500 integrated amp.

I had bought a top of the line rebuild kit from Vacuum tube valley. A friend and I did the work and the amp sounded very bright and to be honestly it sounded horrible!!

Sent it to Craig and now the thing is a very warm and a pleasing amp to listen to. I had no idea one of these amps could sound so good. I have a Sony STR DA5ES Home theatre receiver with KLF-20 speakers and this old tube amp blows that sony away as far as giving you a pleasing warm musical sound.

I would highly recommend NOS Valves to anyone needing some vintage amp work done. He takes pride in his work and his customer service is superb. I do not recomend Vacuum tube valley!

Rob

----------------

I have the same HT receiver and it is absolutely intolerable to listen in 2-channel mode. Great for HT though. Glad you found the best of both worlds like I did.1.gif

I have to add my two cents to the craigfest. My 299a is one sweet sounding unit due to his handywork. His customer service is beyond great - completely and totaly exceeds very high expectations! He is very generous with his time and knowlege and most importantly patient with bozos like me!

Josh

----------------

On 9/9/2003 7:53:42 AM NOSValves wrote:

The Audio God's will strike you down for that Chris
2.gif"
----------------

Chris, Craig is trying to tell you that you blaspheme!!! But don't take it personally, he also knows that if it weren't for the SET heads he would never have achieved "Answering Machine" level user. Had to have something to fuss about!2.gif

Isn't that right?...Dean!9.gif

I don't have a before and after story to tell, but my first experience in tubes was a NOSValves rebuilt 299b purchased from Dean. It set me free. But kind of like a Methodist who comes into money, I became an Episcopalian. Now I sit on the first pew of SET. 10.gif

Craig,

Please don't put a whammy on me. I was just kidding 'bout the SET comment. I have pretty much decided to sell the Cary 300SEI and buy either a pair of Cary 300B mono's or possibly a pair of the new AES Six Paks. I guess you could say I'm a fan of Cary Audio. SET or PP, while I realize there are differences, either type when done well suits my needs. It's kinda like golf clubs. Forged or investment casting, there's a lot to like about both and neither is the absolute answer.

Regards,

Chris

I wouldnt go the AES sixpack route. Wondering why you are thinking of this one? Are you talking of the Cary 300se monos?

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/cary300_power.jpg

Have you additioned some other SET options? I think you would be surprised at the difference a pair of really great output transformers makes. I heard the original Cary 300se Monos but these were modified and also included the extra chassis of caps, called the "Power Bank." I thought this was a great amp with the mods and in the system I heard it in. It was my first exposure to SET back in 1990. Still, there are many more SET options that I might take over this one. Also, have you heard a good 2A3 compared to the 300B?

I was a long-time lover of Cary too but there is a lot of stuff out there that puts it in perspective. A good vintage PP amp really is the ticket combined with a great SET with really good iron.

Drop me a mail.

kh

----------------

On 9/9/2003 10:55:10 AM DeanG wrote:

Now Dee, you should well know that the first row is reserved for the worst of sinners.
9.gif

----------------

Greetings:

Okay here come the holy tube rollers.

Being the fifth (5th) generation of my family to be baptized at the old St. George's Episcopal Church, I can bring my Anglican Catholic (in the U.S. we'e Episcopal) opinion in.

I, personally confess that I have not accepted a St. NOSValves 299, restored by Deacon Craig.

Yea though I walk through the valley of sound, rather than a valley girl, I fear no enemies.

For I KNOW, can I get an AMEN Brothers and Sisters, that SOON, YES I said SOON, I don't know when or why for you KNOW he works in mysterious ways, that I will trade, yes I said trade, unless the manna come down in plentiful bounty, my OWN, that's right, I repeat, MY OWNNNNN Scott 299 C - can the choir back me now and can our own Organist play to emphasizeee

yea, I said emphasizzzzzeeeee, my own story of hearing Brother Gary's, I said Brother GARY'S 299, I said 299, that's right, 299 for my own ears to feeeeel, to hear the clarity, hear the soundstage as it opened up to me, can I get an AMENNNN and I will wait until I am called to hear the words, I WILL HEAR THE WORDSS FROM the man himself, that Win, there is a 299 waiting for you, it's just a waitin', oh it's waitin' for you to bring it home.

So I stand here before you, and before you, you and you, naked in the 299 owning field, but it will come home.

Win dodger