What is the most musical speaker..........?

Gilbert

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most musical I ever listened to?

Why, two pairs of 1979 walnut Klipschorns, one in each corner of a huge music room, powered by two Carver M-500t 250 watt power amps!

The most musical loudspeaker I've ever heard from a different manufacturer was the massive 79" tall Magnepan MG20.1 planars, each driven by Jeff Rowland Model 6 250 watt monoblocks...Sweet!4.gif

besides my k-horns (which will be my last speakers) I would have to second the maggie choice, I heard a pair at Lyric HiFi in NYC a few years back and they sounded so great I bought a pair on the spot (bought SMGc´s not the 20s...lol)...I never got the same sound from the small maggies in my system (wrong space, worng amps?) but they had the same family values...then I stumbled unto these used k-horns, no turning back now! but I will never forget the sound from those big maggies! regards, tony

For me, certainly not a Klipschorn. 'Musical', in this sense, to me, is another subjective perception description which implies a "having pleasing harmonious qualities". Which is another way of saying the audio component has a specific coloration.

An accurate speaker (at least) attempts to avoid such qualities as much as possible. And instead conveys 'musical' qualities, if & when it is present in the signal being fed to it. I'm not much for coloration and other forms of distortion. The speaker should simply reproduce what's fed to it. Garbage in. Garbage out. Noise, thunderbolts, running water, crickets, screechy violin strings, whatever. There has to a reference somewhere. And for me, that is live sound, good or bad.

Now, if I only had a 'musical' sounding speaker, so I could hear what musical noise and musical distortion sounds like! 1.gif

Along with COLIN the B&W is an interesting speaker line.

For SS amplification the 802 is quite amamzing.

Like it wa designed with high power SS in mind.

Tubes need not apply.

B&W 802

Warm, full, firm bass, acceptable soundstage, non resonant cabinet and too EXPENSIVE.

I could make a whole impressive sysytem for the price of speakers.

Martin Logans have this funky sound.

Great at first.

Tideous after.

A friend of mine missed his Fortes after spending $ 8000 on ML

A mistake that is dificult to own up to.

Did you have to go to Kansas to hear the ML Statements (~$75k/pr)?

I enjoyed hearing the Odyessy which is the best ML I've heard.

The most expensive speakers I've heard were Meridian along with an all Meridian A/V system ~$100k. It did make the female singer sound like she was in the room.

I would like to hear some of the big ribbon hybrids (ie VMPS rm40, Onix Strata) which are around $4-5k/pr. I'd also like to hear the new omni-directional speakers by B&O (they use Saucalito Audio acoutic lense technology) and mbl 101 D Radialstrahler (I have enjoyed the mbl 300e tower).

The only horns I've heard are Klipsch (KHorns, LaScala, Cornwall,etc.) and Fraziers.

A friend at work bought some pretty WILSON BENESCH but I haven't hear them.

I just can't resist getting in on a Martin Logan Slam. In a visit to Tweeter about a year ago, I was there to audition some SACD players. Not sure which ML's they were. They were big & had a sub tower. I don't think they were Statements, but what ever they were they were about $15000. After about 5 minutes, I had to apologize to the salesman (he spent more time than that just getting things connected). And explain that I really couldn't make any reasonable judgement as to the quality of SACD over CD, because, quite frankly, what I'm hearing from my own system on CD or vinyl is far superior to what I'm hearing now.

I don't understand the comment about "artificial". Different yes, but artificial?. My perception of Martin Logan's is that they are wonderful with the frequencies produced by the panel but have been challenged with the integration of the bass module. Their affordable models don't have the pounding bass I'm familiar with from owning Cornwalls and the panels do seem to produce a different presentation which is not well done more than approx. 30 degrees off axis.

I thought the critical reviews claimed they were more neutral and less colored in reproduction than many other speakers...especially Klipsch. Here is a sample from Stereophile:

"The Prodigy's midrange was transparent, timbrally accurate, and free of congestion and distortion. Vocal/clarinet/piano selections came alive as the speakers created a wide, seamless soundstage that gave no clue of their positions in the room. Vocals were reproduced with a transparency I'd missed ever since I'd let the Quad ESL-57s escape from my listening room. Suzanne Vega's startling a cappella vocal on "Tom's Diner" (Solitude Standing, A&M CD 5136) floated in the room with a lifelike fullness. The tonality of the saxophone and guitar were startling on the title track of the L.A. Four's Going Home (Ai Music Co. 3 2JD-10043). The same rich but totally natural timbre was heard in Buddy Miller's mando-guitar accompaniment to Emmylou Harris's "Prayer in Open D" on Spyboy (Eminent EM-25001-2). The guitar work on that track was crystalline and airy, with silken tonality.

The female voice was rendered faithfully, with natural timbre and low distortion. Patti Austin's rendition of Armando Manzanero's "Only You" (Hothouse, N2K 10023) was etched and holographic. Kim Cattrall reading "Little Dog's Day" sounded see-through clear and bell-like on Mark Levinson's Live Recordings at Red Rose Music, Volume 1 (Red Rose Music RRM 1). And I was transfixed by the a cappella choral blend on "Calling My Children Home," from Spyboy. Emmylou Harris's voice was effortless, ethereal, clear, and translucent."

Am I reading this correctly in saying that the writer of this review would disagree with comments bashing Martin Logan and specifically the "artifical" comment?

I'm going out to hear the lower priced Odysseys again tomorrow and see if my perceptions have changed.