Got the new banana plugs!!

Orange Peel

I got the GLS Audio banana plugs today, hooked them all up to my speaker wire, and watched Titan AE, everything sounded perfect, not a thing out of place. These are AMAZING plugs for the price, TOTALLY WORTH IT!! 130% satisfied!! I thought they would be plastic or something (surrounding), but they are pretty damn heavy, all metal and work amazingly!! If you were waiting to see what I thought, I wouldn't wait any longer, they are a steal for what they are! I have pics of mine that I will try to get up this weekend. But here's the link to the ebay auction I bought mine from, shipped very quickly too!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3057625825&category=32838&rd=1

Still happy as hell that I took the chance on this one, they look amazing and perform as well as they look 9.gif

Thank you for posting the info!

Still building my HT, I was going to just use the bare speaker wire, but the back of my receiver has all the speaker connections real close, and it would be a pain to try and cram 9 sets of speaker wire on the posts (7.1+ 2 on the B channel), so was thinking about banana jacks, but don't like crimp-ons, and not too fond of soldered ones either. Plus I didn't want to spend a fortune.

Looks like another set ot two is going this way...

Thanks for the info!

-Alan

----------------

On 11/22/2003 12:20:02 AM Orange Peel wrote:

Still happy as hell that I took the chance on this one, they look amazing and perform as well as they look
9.gif

----------------

Excellent! They did look like some nice banana plugs. I was tempted, but I already have all the banana plugs I need for my setup. I'll have to keep that in mind if I find I ever need any in the future. I would not be surprised if a similiar offer appears again in the future.

Sounds like if anybody on here needs some banana plugs, these are the ticket.

• 4 months later...

----------------

On 4/4/2004 12:02:39 PM lancestorm wrote:

Question on this guy. How do you connect the wire to these types of banana plugs? I have a few rat shack ones where you put the wire through the hole then clamp the screw down into it...

----------------

The plugs uses the screws to lock the cables into it. Really neat that you can't see or pull the cable out(I tried to pull the cable instead of the plug..... really tight).

----------------

On 4/4/2004 12:50:24 PM Joe Shmoe wrote:

The ad says that when using smaller gage wire to fold it? Is that ok to do? I am looking at getting some new bananas but I am using Audiquest wire which isn't 12 gage.

----------------

It just double the wire size as you use smaller cable like 18guage. I tried it with 16guage which works fine as well. But 14 or larger is better for locking the cable easier 9.gif

Guys, while I am happy to hear all your enthusiasm about these plugs, but please, don't over-rate them either. These are just plugs, for Christ's sake. The fact that your music sounds nice has the least to do with those plugs. There are only two types of plugs: really crappy ones, and all the rest that do the job as expected. Obviously these banana plugs fall in the second category, but dont think that if you get these plugs instead of the ones you have currently you will hear something that was hidden or lost before. There are far too many weaker links in the chain than plugs. All a plug needs to do is to ensure a tight contact with the binding post. Period. Ok, you might get some gold plated ones for better look and arguably for better conductivity. But thats it. The kind of plugs I would stay away from are the ones you can see on many of the Monster cables (screw on design).

----------------

On 4/4/2004 10:17:20 PM TauRus wrote:

Guys, while I am happy to hear all your enthusiasm about these plugs, but please, don't over-rate them either. These are just plugs, for Christ's sake. The fact that your music sounds nice has the least to do with those plugs. There are only two types of plugs: really crappy ones, and all the rest that do the job as expected. Obviously these banana plugs fall in the second category, but dont think that if you get these plugs instead of the ones you have currently you will hear something that was hidden or lost before. There are far too many weaker links in the chain than plugs. All a plug needs to do is to ensure a tight contact with the binding post. Period. Ok, you might get some gold plated ones for better look and arguably for better conductivity. But thats it. The kind of plugs I would stay away from are the ones you can see on many of the Monster cables (screw on design).

----------------

They do nothing more than easy to move around for me. I keep moving my speakers/switching them once a month or so, barewire will kick my butt off. As the binding posts is in the back, who cares how they look? 9.gif . Plug does have it's advantage for being neat and flexibility, but not quality.

Not quite, Tripod. How about the very first post:

... I got the GLS Audio banana plugs today, hooked them all up to my speaker wire, and watched Titan AE, everything sounded perfect, not a thing out of place...

Maybe I misread it, but i thought someone is trying to promote the banana plugs that make everything sound "perfect". :)

Well, I am glad everyone is with me on this - banana plugs are for convenience mostly.

While I totally agree that they look nice and are priced just as nice, a banana connector is far from teh best way to make a speaker connection. Peformance wise you would be better off using a quality spade lug or even bare wire (screwed down at the speaker terminal).

----------------

On 4/6/2004 8:40:53 AM STL wrote:

While I totally agree that they look nice and are priced just as nice, a banana connector is far from teh best way to make a speaker connection. Peformance wise you would be better off using a quality spade lug or even bare wire (screwed down at the speaker terminal).

----------------

I Bought some from parts express and will be getting them today. I can't get the bare wire or pins that are on some of mine to tighten down tight enough, and they keep coming lose and falling out, and i have to get back behind everything to plug them back in, which is a pain, because i have to take my tv to get to the plug in on the reciever. So i will see how this works tonight. As long as you get a good tight connection why would it matter what kind of connector that you have.

I got the GLS banana plugs about 2 months ago and am very impressed with them. I did not expect them to make my system sound better, just more convienent to work on. My equipment is in a built-in entertainment center with no rear access. Bare wires=knuckles with no skin. I got the types with the little set screw to hold the wire in. They work great and appear to be very high quality.

Mike