Wife says no to KHORN

PKuziel

I went to the annual Christmas party hosted by the owners of FJ Weidner Inc who used to do the engraving for Mark Levinson, Cello and now do the Engraving for Viola Audio Labratories on their awesome audio equipment. While sitting in the music room in the owners home enjoying the phenominal sound of the 1976 walnut K Horns through vintage Mark Levinson amps and preamp and Cello Audio Pallette and watching a large front projection screen my wife obviously saw the sheer joy on my face and she slowly grips my hand and mouths to me NO! So my reaction is DOH! So I guess K Horns are out of my immediate future! Sucks to be me. Have any of your wifes done this to you and if so how have you worked around it to achieve your dream of owning a set of K Horns?

My wife never says anything, about my toys. I think see knows that it wouldn't do any good if see did. It doesn't hurt to spend a little her way eather.

Yesterday I bought two items, a CD changer and a combo DVD-A/SACD player. I didn't think nothing of it untill I went out again that night and spent $400.00 on interconnects and $500.00 on DVD-Audio and SACD disc. So I stopped at a jewelry store and picked up a diamond bracelet.

Don't be stupid, you have to throw a little their way too.

While I do not own a set of K-horns, I think you may be well served to bargain with your wife in a manner much like any other bargaining session. That is, start higher than you know that YOU want to go, and work her DOWN to the K-Horns. I guess it depends on why she said, "no." If it is size, start bigger. If it is price, start higher. lol

I have lots of experience in this arena-my wife eats tacks for breakfast!!! (Just kidding, honey!)

David

My wife now LOVES the Khorns. Compared to the Soundlabs, Martin Logans, Impact Airfoils and 8' tall Cabasse Atlantis speakers which have graced my room, the Khorns are unobtrusive. Show her a pair of Acoustat 8s which you wish to buy. Explain to her that they must sit out 5-6' into the room. She'll consider the Khorns a nice compromise.

Sounds like it also helps to be rich! :)

----------------

On 12/22/2003 12:36:01 PM Q-Man wrote:

My wife never says anything, about my toys. I think see knows that it wouldn't do any good if see did. It doesn't hurt to spend a little her way eather.

Yesterday I bought two items, a CD changer and a combo DVD-A/SACD player. I didn't think nothing of it untill I went out again that night and spent $400.00 on interconnects and $500.00 on DVD-Audio and SACD disc. So I stopped at a jewelry store and picked up a diamond bracelet.

Don't be stupid, you have to throw a little their way too.

----------------

Buy her a new house. Tell her you love her. Find a deal that is so ridiculous that she tells you to drive 16 hours to pick up a set of Khorns. Buy schedule insurance, have the basement flood and trash a set of La Scalas, and hand her the entire settlement check.

She won't say a thing.

The speakers will be banned to the basement, also4.gif

Sounds like you should contact our buddy BOOMAC here for tips.

His system to get new speakers or any other electronics into his house is... He is friends with his UPS delivery man, when he has a big delivery comming his UPS friend calls first to find out when his wife is out of the house then delivers promptly at that time. I think I heard that he even helps the unpacking and removes the boxes too.

I'm lucky, my wife loves our Khorns and would not listen to anything but.

JM

While I don't own khorns, I've had my not-so-small cornwalls since before we were married (bought in '80, married in '81). When we moved to our current house 10 years ago she said she didn't want to have to decorate around the zebrawood. She said I could spend $3k on replacement speakers.

We went to Myer-Emco and listened to every expensive set of speakers they had with our own music. After we surpassed $4k, she turned to me and said, "We're keeping the Klipsch. Nothing comes close." Music to my ears. I guess once you're used to that sound it's hard to go back.

If I really pushed, I could get a pair but I don't have great corners for them. Maybe in my retirement house. For now I'm happy with what I have.

"I hope that the young members on this Forum are paying attention.

DON'T GET MARRIED in the first place."

That's not the answer. Pre-nupt! Buy your Khorns before you get married and get a pre-nupt that no matter what, you are keeping the horns and any house purchase must be a great fit for them.

Rick