Steal of a price on Moondogs on Audiogon.......

Cut-Throat

My Christmas bonus came in today from where I worked for the first half of last year. We had 14,000 works hours with 0 injuries, 0 lost time incidents, and three safe work practice attaboys from the NRC during their inspections...while they shut Westinghouse down for not doing the same9.gif

Happy Valentines Day to my wife(40% off the top,) Liam(40% into his college trust) and me. I'm investing my 20% in these Moondogs and Mark's new preamp.3.gif I was very impressed with the alluring soundstage and presence of the 2A3s we had at the get together last month, so I will have a good set to listen for an extended period now. If they can't cut it here with a medium nearfield setup, then I won't have to worry about what I might be missing in the future.

Is there a set of good tubes I should look to pick up, and what are the breakpoints for the decent, great, and spectacular tubes? Thanks for any guidance!

Congratulations!

I would not rush out and buy tubes immediately. You are also getting a pair of Stovek 2A3's along with KR 2A3's. So you will be able to switch those out to see if there are any significant advantages or differences in sound. The seller has Stovek Rectifiers installed, so after a couple of weeks of getting use to the SET sound, you could begin looking for a NOS pair of Mullard GZ37 or 34 Rectifiers. I have and like both, but favor the GZ34's. The fact that I'm presently using Laurel IIX 300B Amps probably influences my preference for the GZ34 Rectifiers.

The 2A3 owners can give you first hand knowledge on available 6SL7's and 6SN7's that work best with your future amps. I do feel a few weeks getting familar with the SET sound works best before tube rolling.

Pretty sure you will enjoy them.

Wes

It will be interesting. I use the main stereo during the day to stay alert and refreshed while I study for my national boards on radiation safety, so I play a lot of jazz and classical. Once we get the baby home, a lot of folk and mellow accoustic makes it in the CD player.

We always wrap up the night with either Simon and Garfunkel's expanded hits, Peter, Paul and Mary's greatest, or the Moody Blues' Seventh Sojourn. Liam is passed out by the fourth song on any of these CDs, so they are the ONLY rotation. The Moondogs will serve perfectly for the night listening, I hope!

Dave,

Did you buy them?

They still look as if they are still "For sale". I think I saw a post by this seller on the Welbourne site asking how much he should ask for them, and someone suggested $999. Did you ask if he has the Ultimate Upgrade option? It does not sound like he does if he only paid $1600, but maybe he at least has some special options if not the Ultimate upgrade package.

Klipsch out.

I tried to buy them, and thought I had them. I got an e-mail saying he would sell them to me, and I got so excited I didn't look at the final paragraph for an hour. When I got the second e-mail from the seller, I looked at the first and noticed it wasn't addressed to me internally. The second told me outright they were sold within the first hour he listed them, so my luck with stereo equipment sold in Minnesota continues15.gif Somehow I got his "sold" response to the actual luck buyer.

I could taste how bad I wanted to take these for a spin. I will still keep in touch with the seller if his first deal falls through, but I don't see any reason why that would occur. Stranger things have happened.

Guest Anonymous

Dave, I feel for you buddy, sucks when in your head you own something, can taste it, feel it, dream about the sound, and BAM your F*****D. Take a chill it will all work out, please do not beat yourself up.

Smilin for you11.gif

This was the lowest price I have seen for used Moondogs in the last four years or so. I actually know this owner a bit having exchanged emails in the past. IF I remember, he might have been an original builder as he noted, this his FIRST kit. I have to check my mails on this. Obviously, with all amps of this nature, the talent and attention to detail of the builder plays a large role in the final outcome. Luckily, Ron made some good kits and would bail builders out of the proverbial rock and hard place if necessary.

I dont agree with his love for the KR2A3, this by far the most sterile of the 2A3 offerings. They were a very CLEAN sounding tube but lacked soul and did little to draw me into the music. The cheapo Sovtek did more justice to the music (I like other vintage options MORE than the Sovtek but it's the definite bang for buck winner by a longshot). The JAN Philips 6SN7 were not my favorite either and these came stock on just about EVERY Moondog, past or present. As for the rectifier, the Mullard GZ-37 was my choice all around.

Used Moondogs are so scarce these days that finding any is tough and finding one in this price range is practically unheard of. The only thing more rare is finding the original Moondogs of the first few years that came with the MagneQuest DS-025 output iron. I think I have seen only one pair for sale since 2000.

This price was actually in the Wright Sound 3.5 area with the MD offering better output iron, chassis, parts, and aesthetics. Both offer good sonics with the Moondogs being subjectively more extended in the bottom.

More Moondogs will come up for sale as people try new things or the audio bug bites, regardless of any real need. One thing, anyone can build a Moondog duplicate or derivative as the parts are all there for the picking and the schematics an easy find (meanwhile, the little Wright Sound 3.5 schematic is still at large, no where to be found. I have NEVER seen one floating about. Ole George keeps his mess under tight wraps - IT doesnt come with the purchase either).

kh

Kelly,

Whoever the new owner is, they need to send a big Thank You to Chris O. on the Welborne forum, who I think gave the seller, Sandoval, questionable advice on how much to ask for his Moondogs.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/welborne/messages/3859.html

The KR 2A3 tubes alone would sell for $500 new. I do agree with you on the KR2A3 not being my top 2A3 tube choice. At the moment Billie Holiday sounds VERY good with me using the Rogers(Sylvania?)2A3 black plates in the output spots. The new owner should also kick the Philips driver tubes and Sovtek rectifiers to the curb ASAP.

Dave,

Sorry you missed getting your leash on those Moondogs. The fact that they are seldom seen for sale should give you some idea how much their performance is appreciated by present owners.

Klipsch out.

PS. I would not part with mine for twice the sellers price.

Dave,

That is one bummer to think you've got a line on MD's and then it's tough rocko's.

I was looking at them with a covetous eye, too.

One thing, I don't know MD's well, it did look like the chassis might have had an extra hole or two drilled in it. Perhaps just a bad pic, too.

When one put's something on the gon and it sells in an hour, it is definitely priced below market.

----------------

On 2/15/2004 1:53:56 PM DaddyDee wrote:

Dave,

That is one bummer to think you've got a line on MD's and then it's tough rocko's.

I was looking at them with a covetous eye, too.

One thing, I don't know MD's well, it did look like the chassis might have had an extra hole or two drilled in it. Perhaps just a bad pic, too.

When one put's something on the gon and it sells in an hour, it is definitely priced below market.

----------------

Daddydee,

So hidden behind enjoying someone make a negative remark about SET amps, there's interest to maybe own a pair yourself? Wonders never cease.

The extra holes btw, are part of the top plate and not an error by the builder. I think it is safe to say they were under priced. The mahogany wood is special order, as in extra cost, also. Someone got a great deal. Ole Neo must have been too busy, or out cruising above the clouds within the Matrix, and totally blew the chance to purchase this pair of Moondogs.

Klipsch out.

Even if these were a basement example, for the price they would be a very good deal. In red mahogany, their looks would be close to Jazman's, and they would have matched the mahogany Heresys.

I really need to jump in the water and build a set of 2A3s myself. Mike keeps badgering me that prices are far better, getting parts used for a dime on the dollar, buying wisely, and paying attention to detail as the build progresses. With exposed tubes, they will definitely be on the top of a rack so Liam won't try to liberate them while powered up.

Steve(the seller) is a real nice guy. Maybe I'll get lucky and the buyer will decide he really wants an Ampzilla to drive his Cerwin Vegas and Bose subwoofer, opening the door for me to get some howling Moondogs6.gif

"I really need to jump in the water and build a set of 2A3s myself. Mike keeps badgering me that prices are far better, getting parts used for a dime on the dollar, buying wisely, and paying attention to detail as the build progresses."

Keep in mind that you won't build a pair of Moondog clones with the same parts as in "ultimate upgrade" for under a grand.

Sourcing the parts will kill you.

Look at that buddie of Guy's 845 project, $8000 home-brew.

DIY can go way over your head than a kit, depending how deep you go.

I got real lucky that my SET project came out around 500 hundred bucks.

The guy spent quite a bit time sourcing parts on a budget, from Ebay pretty much.

He threw in a pair of TJ tubes, at least two hundred bucks there, those OPT's gotta be in the two hundred dollar range, a Hammond case, a PS transformer, 2.5 volt filament transformers, a 4 hy PS choke, oil caps for the PS, interstage transformers, ceramic sockets for the damper tubes, oil bypass caps and resistors for output tubes, and 6EA7 and 6AU4 tubes.

I just needed a few more parts and wire, to put the thing together.

There's 400 bucks worth of parts there, pretty sure of it.

At any rate Dave, just take your time, and figure it out.

Your not deprived of good audio at the present.

You were gonna spend $999 for a SET amp, why not spend a few hundred more and get a Welborne kit? HA!3.gif