Why is Craig more expensive than Ryan

alotaklipsch

Many of these types of amps were made to be built by their owners. And in the process of construction they would hopefully learn more about their amps and learn to solder.. etc...etc, Personally I think that sort of hands on experience is a good part of the fun of tube amps.

So my opinion is to DIY. Restoring an amp isn't really difficult, it mostly involves swapping out parts. You don't need to understand the circuit to restore an amp to its original condition. Mucg greater sense of satisfaction when you are done as well as a lot more money in your pocket.

Shawn

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rick,

I have Craig's Russian caps in my 222D and think they sound great! I cannot compare the sound to anything other than my SS Marantz or the Adcom ( I sent the amp right to Craig, so I never heard the original), but I really doubt any other caps could make it sound that much bettter. Hell, I replaced a lot of resistors in the signal path in there with the green ones, can't remember the name now, but they're good quality and I really can't say that was an obvious improvement. Then again, maybe my ears and memory could stand improvement...

Ryan, my AMX was not eaten alive too many times, but it was usually by the big blocks. It was really a fun car to drive. For those of you who don't know what that was, AMX stood for American Motors eXperimantal by AMC (which my friends dubbed as Andy's Motorized Catastrophy). It was a 2 seater and weighed in at about 2800 lbs with a short wheel base...loads of fun to drive! 9.gif

Many of these types of amps were made to be built by their owners. And in the process of construction they would hopefully learn more about their amps and learn to solder.. etc...etc, Personally I think that sort of hands on experience is a good part of the fun of tube amps.

So my opinion is to DIY. Restoring an amp isn't really difficult, it mostly involves swapping out parts. You don't need to understand the circuit to restore an amp to its original condition. Mucg greater sense of satisfaction when you are done as well as a lot more money in your pocket.

Shawn, what you are not taking into consideration is that some of us do not have things like a tube tester, a variac, etc. When I bought my 222D I wanted to do most of it myself, but I did not have the above mentioned equipment and without a variac, you shouldn't even power up an amp you don't know. I did have Craig do most of the work on it, but I have, once the PS was in order, started replacing other parts. I only have the Scott 222D, so I don't really need a variac unless I plan to keep buying amps...and that may be in the future...

Andy,

"what you are not taking into consideration is that some of us do not have things like a tube tester, a variac, etc. When I bought my 222D I wanted to do most of it myself, but I did not have the above mentioned equipment and without a variac, you shouldn't even power up an amp you don't know"

OK, so consider spend them money on tools instead of someones elses labor. That would probably still cost less and you would have the tools forever.

I bought my 20amp variac used for under $100. Angela currently has a used 20amp unit for $39. You can buy brand new 5amp models (which is plenty for this use) on e-bay for $49 with a BIN.

Without a variac there are other ways to reduce the shock of initial turn on on an unknown amp. They aren't as good as using a variac but are better then nothing. Or of course you could just rebuild it before doing the initial power on. If all the caps are new you aren't really going to have to worry about one of them blowing.. other problems will blow the fuse.

A tube tester isn't essential though it is nice. If you can find an old electronics supply house near you they probably still stock tubes and have a tester you could use.

Shawn

You have been given some good advice. I rec

commend you send one to each, especially if you have two of the same. Neither will rip you off, both will do whatever you ask.

As mentioned if you are not worried about resale, but good sound, Send it to Craig. If you want it to stay close to factory specs send it to Ryan. JMO.

What you say makes sense, and I have thought of the rebuild before you play route...perhaps one day. I had to start slowly, I did not trust myself with the eletrolytics and wanted someone else to do them. Next one I will do myself as I have gotten more into soldering.

As to the Craig/Ryan issue, look at Ryan's and Craig's posts about caps and see who's taste lines up with your own.

alotaklipsch, no one is trying to run you off of the forum. Actually, you've received quite a bit of good advice in this thread. You should have anticipated various opinions, with the end result being no concensus. Regardless, in the end the choice remains with you, and no one can really make your mind up for you.

Great reply Dean! I ll be sure to pull my Telefunkens before I send him anything. Would not want to have to but them back! LOL. I like the idea of maxing out an amps potential with the best parts available. I have restored many valuable sport cars with upgraded parts that cant be seen. Modern performance with vintage equipment. Also the fact that the man can get his childrens help in this day and age means he is a man amongst men. He has my respect.

427rs

----------------

On 2/20/2004 11:25:04 PM AndyKubicki wrote:

Ryan, my AMX was not eaten alive too many times, but it was usually by the big blocks. It was really a fun car to drive. For those of you who don't know what that was, AMX stood for American Motors eXperimantal by AMC (which my friends dubbed as Andy's Motorized Catastrophy). It was a 2 seater and weighed in at about 2800 lbs with a short wheel base...loads of fun to drive!
9.gif

----------------

Bah. Who needs a lightweight car? I used to have a 1968 Pontiac Catalina - 400cid, 2bbl. 4,800 pounds of fine Detroit steel and CHROME! Man, I put chrome on everything. Chrome makes the engine run better, you know. Before I was forced to sell it (moving out of New Hampshire, didn't make sense to drive a pig like that all the way to Virginia) I was planning to do a rebuild and have the BLOCK chrome-dipped!

9.gif

Seriously, that was a fun car. Especially the night I blew the 427 Vette off the line in Manchester. When he finally caught up to me (at 70mph) he was just sitting there staring at my car like it was a UFO. 11.gif

----------------

On 2/21/2004 9:15:05 AM fini wrote: I am considering sending my two daughters to Craig for "work experience" this summer. What kind of uniform should they wear?

----------------

I hear Craig prefers the girls to wear those cute little tube tops. As long as they're not too revealing.

----------------

On 2/21/2004 9:15:05 AM fini wrote:

Dean,

That reply on page one was your best to date. Good work! I am considering sending my two daughters to Craig for "work experience" this summer. What kind of uniform should they wear?

----------------

I wasn't aware that Craig's court order to stay 100 feet away from children under 16 had been lifted... Congratulations Craig, I was on your side all along.

I think I have found a way to improve upon the 4-bbl'd 350 4-bolt-main HD Chevy in my 72 C-10 Custom. Truck also currently has 350 auto tranny. It is all original equipment. The improvement?....big block Poncho 400 with turbo 400 tranny from 73 Gran Prix...YEAH, BABY!!...gimme them HORSES, with an added 7 mpg to boot! OH, YEAH...let's swap out that old truck rear-end with that Poncho positrack while we are in there, too! What will I do with the 350/350tranny combo? Save it for re-installation when/if I decide to go all original in the future! But around 17 mpg with added horses&torque from that 4-bbl'd 400 Poncho big block/400-turbo tranny is MUCH more to my liking than 10 mpg in that truck with the 350/350 combo under its hood. Guess I will have to take the bowtie off the truck's grille and replace it with a Poncho arrowhead for awhile. The rest of that Gran Prix is gonna get junked out...way too much body cancer to try messing with it anymore. Guess it will eventualy end up crushed and recycled with a Lexus emblem on it.

I always liked the big Gran Prix's...especially the 73 models. Sure wish I could find one that has had an easy life and was always garaged...well-maintained...w/no rust anywhere. They are grand automobiles, it is a shame so few are still around...one thing though...when the collectors finally realize there were other high-performance Pontiacs made besides Trans Ams and GTO's, the value of the few old land yaught Gran Prix's left around will go through the roof! Too bad most of em have already been re-badged as Toyotas after recycling!

Alotofsh!t said:

I checked out the web you referred me to, and it looks rediculous to me...I feel stupid enough already in asking for help and guidance.

Thanks for nothing

but you will not chase me away

By all means hang around and learn something.

Tom

Guest Anonymous

When Craig and I were putzing with the electrical S*** at my house we were pulling our hair out so much that in the morning, I thought Craig may have been his daughter3.gif But Craigs daughter does FINE work12.gif

"Zapper seems like you guys are trying to zap me out of this forum, and Ill tell you what, NO WAY, I belong here cause I have owned and loved Klipsch speakers for over 20 years....

I happen to just be ignorant in the ways of tube amps...

But I am not ignorant to your BS

I checked out the web you referred me to, and it looks rediculous to me...I feel stupid enough already in asking for help and guidance.

Thanks for nothing

but you will not chase me away"

alotaklipsch,

I did not put that in to run you off. I did , I'll admit, do it for a little humor at your expense though while continuing your education. You began be comparing prices, did you see the prices on that site using crap for parts? Kind of maks C & R look good doesn't it?

You won't find anyone here on the forum who recommends one of them over the other, for the most part we like them both. Although they can be real pains in the a$$ sometimes. They both do good concientious work but have differing means of achieving the goals. They both back up their work like no others. Including hand holding when needed which is important to a newbie such as yourself.

Pick one. Whichever you chose will do good work. Just don't ask your "friends" on the forum to malign another friend for your benefit.

Rick