La Scala Projects Progress

greg928gts

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did this before and said that I would never do it again. It takes way too much time and is too messy of a job. Inside the doghouse is a b**** to work in. If I ever do this again, I will simply build new cabinets. You can build the cabinets in a lot less time.

Keep an eye out and you will see how I deal with the inside. It's actually pretty easy. I'll install a center sidewall brace in each side of the bass bin, a nailer at the top and bottom of each side, and make custom grilles that fit into each side at an angle. Everything behind the grill is painted black, leaving only the areas in front to be veneered.

Actually fini, I'm going to do the insides first just to get that out of the way.

Greg

Other than being able to say they are Klipsch cabinets, I think I would have to agree with Q-Man. It would be easeir to build new cabinets than put in the work you are doing on these things.

The other models you have done are a different story though. Very, very nice.

Marvel

• 2 weeks later...

What effect do your bass bin braces have sonically? Do they tighten/improve the bass response at all? Your project is looking pretty interesting so far. The bass bin/dog house is my dilemma on my project. I an undecided whether to rip out the rear board and just refinish everything in the dog house area and replace the rear board with a new one or try something like you are doing with the rosewood pair. I will be interested to see what you do with all three sets. Thanks for posting your work.

Looking GREAT Greg! Nice work. Man, I bet you were pissed about putting that piece of veneer on upside down, that kind of thing will drive you nuts7.gif.

Pao Ferro is a beautiful wood, is it not? I built a 300 cigar desktop humidor about seven years ago and veneered it with Pao Ferro and I would like to do something else sometime using it again.

Cannot wait 'til you post more pics.

If by chance (and yes a long distance one too) you are coming to Indy for the Klipsch II event.. Please bring these along with you. I would love to see your work up close and I am sure "Someone" would have to just take them home too.

Outstanding, as always, work!

Glad to see that you decided to angle the braces and grills like the Belle. I've seen it done before and it's a nice look. If I ever do a pair of LaScalas again I might do that. Before,when you said that you were going to cover the bottom with grill cloth, I was thinking what a waste. It would of then looked like every other speaker around. I thought you were going to hide the "V".

Go for the raised top like the "B" style Klipschorn, it adds a touch of class. You are now taking the best features or looks from the Klipschorn and Belle and adding them to the LaScala. I like that.

The braces do help eliminate the bass horn from resonating. I don't remember right now, but I believe that it helps most at 100 to 150Hz. Klipsch would have done this, but it was too much work to custom fit the braces. Each of the doghouses dimentions or position with in the encloser varied a little.

Thanks for all the nice words guys. I was pretty disappointed with myself about putting that piece of veneer on upside down. Must have lowered the value substantially. Oh well. 2.gif

I've been told that the braces do help the bass in the La Scala, but to what extent I don't know. I spoke to Gary Gilliam recently, a former Klipsch engineer back in the "day", and he said they played around with other bracing ideas too, like one inside the doghouse. Apparently they were able to distinguish a difference by bracing, but it was too costly to put into production for the small gain in performance.

I'm putting all the extra hours I can into these three pairs of speakers, I've got to have them done by mid May. Sorry to say I won't have time to go to Indy. One of these years. Off to the shop on Easter Sunday. Getting 8 hours in today around the midday meal. Have a good Easter everyone.

Greg

I am impressed with your incredible effort, Greg! There are not many who would take on the task that you did, and the speakers look fabulous! Very nice work and thanks for sharing your La Scala photo essay. BTW: did you route the driver cutouts free-hand? That's tough to do, but it looks like you did a fine job!

Erik

Excellent work, Greg...you should be very proud of yourself. If I had extra money to spend, I'd be sendin' my Cornwalls your way right about now! You just can't beat an exotic hardwood veneer (how I hate cheap vinyl veneer on loudspeakers today)!