garymd

----------------

On 5/2/2004 10:56:57 PM joshnich wrote:

waltz for debbie

just about an¥ version that BE recorded

Josh

----------------

Josh,

I love that song too! My favorite version of the few I've heard is on Cannonball Adderly and Bill Evans, "You Know What I Mean." That's another in my top 10.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B0000047CC.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Skylark is the last track on the Paul Motian record On Broadway, vol. 3, and always makes me want to listen to this beautiful record again. The interplay between all the players is exceptional, and the combination of Bill Frisell and Lee Konitz's respective lyricism and fluidity is just something to behold. Charlie Haden and Paul can get by alright as well. Joe Lovano's playing is elevated by the rest of the group, IMO, but he keeps up just fine. Weaver of Dreams is another tune that gets me every time. It starts out with just Lovano's tenor and Konitz's alto in an exposed statement of the head that knocks me out for it's grace and musicality.

If you've heard some of Frisell and/or Motian's stuff that leans toward the avante garde, and didn't care for the dissonance, don't be put off by that. This is a very accesible record in comparison to the trio stuff. Motian played in the Bill Evans Trio, BTW.

Well, I've deleted several posts, because I can't make up my mind. You have an excellent list going, and it's bound to cost me some more serious dough. Most of you have read that Jazz At The Pawn Shop_ is one of my favorite recordings, but to choose one song has me repeating, "Yeah, but..."

The one most influential for stirring an interest in jazz for me is Brubeck's Take Five_.

Boomac, remember that I started that thread in response to your question, so you asked for it. 1.gif

SSH

----------------

On 5/3/2004 10:50:16 AM ssh wrote:

The one most influential for stirring an interest in jazz for me is Brubeck's Take Five_.

SSH

----------------

I recently bought the SACD "Concord On A Summer Night." It's a live concert in Brubeck's home town. Very nice if you like Brubeck and a very good recording. I think the concert was in the late 70s or early 80s.

And yes, they close the show with "Take 5."

Some really good choices have been identified so far. Like many others said, it is very hard to narrow it to one. So here are four titles that I can listen to over and over...

Blue & Sentimental - Ike Quebec, on the Blue & Sentimental LP, Blue Note 1961

Makin' Whoopee - Red Garland, A Garland of Red LP, Prestige 1956

Soul Station Hank Mobley, on the Soul Station LP, Blue Note 1960

Sonnys Crib Sonny Clark, on the Sonnys Crib LP, Blue Note 1957

Gad, I feel so plebian in this company. Does Norah Jones count? Lately I cant seem to get her second CD off the disc tray. I am also quite partial to the dynamics of Chuck Loebs FYI on DMPs Twenty bit taste of DMP. Listen to it at Amazons

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000003DEQ/qid%3D1083603719/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-0168115-7371254

3.gif

No argument on Trane's "My Favorite Things" as it's one of my faves, too. Back in '65 guitarist Grant Green cut his own cover of "My Favorite Things" on his Blue Note album "Matador". Green's version is a nice homage to Coltrane's cut with Coltrane alumnus McCoy Tyner at the piano. I think Tyner's playing is one reason why that Coltrane cut is so friggin' amazing! If you haven't heard the Grant Green version, please check it out.

On Soapbox: Anyone notice how the guitar was completely excluded from Ken Burns "Jazz" series on PBS? Burns apparently doesn't consider music with electric instruments to be real jazz. He dismissed Miles' electric phase with a short footnote. I guess that means Jaco and Weather Report don't count either! Off Soapbox.

Historically speaking, the first Jazz record that really turned my ear (at 15) was Charles Lloyd's "Forest Flower" from "Live at Monterey". It features a fairly young Keith Jarrett, along with veterans Jack deJohnette on drums and I forget who on bass (maybe Cecil McBee?). It's a gorgeous song.

Best in horns,

triceratops

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 5/2/2004 4:44:55 PM bobsherman wrote:

"The Blues and the Abstract Truth by Oliver Nelson is the disk. One of the greatest cuts ever is Stolen Moments. If you have never heard this please get it. Great players too;"

---------------------------------------------------------

Just got the LP a few days ago and Bob is absolutely right about "Stolen Moments". It's a spectacular composition. Freddie Hubbard's opening solo is Freddie at his soulful best.

Thanks on this one Bob!

I just found this post. Man this is some neat stuff, but, I can't believe no one has mentioned setting down in front of your 5.1 HT with the ancient (circa 1985) Flim and the BB's Big Notes album. This is by far the closest thing to a test cd that is actually worth listening to. Especially the sax solo, Remember to set your Pre to Pro-logic. Those of you with 7 Channel Axis will be suprised to see the processor read this. I can't wait until I manage to find two more speakers to feel this experience. The tune "Fun House" is a little harsh, until you really listen to the incredible staging from your Klipsch system. If you haven't, treat yourself, this ones worth it. I've owned this Cd since 1990.

----------------

On 5/18/2004 11:45:54 PM the plummer wrote:

I just found this post. Man this is some neat stuff, but, I can't believe no one has mentioned setting down in front of your 5.1 HT with the ancient (circa 1985) Flim and the BB's Big Notes album. This is by far the closest thing to a test cd that is actually worth listening to. Especially the sax solo, Remember to set your Pre to Pro-logic. Those of you with 7 Channel Axis will be suprised to see the processor read this. I can't wait until I manage to find two more speakers to feel this experience. The tune "Fun House" is a little harsh, until you really listen to the incredible staging from your Klipsch system. If you haven't, treat yourself, this ones worth it. I've owned this Cd since 1990.

----------------

Sorry plummer,

Wrong forum! Last time I checked, this was the 2 Channel Forum, and the topic, "Favorite Jazz Tune".

Klipsch out.

PS. My "favorite" Jazz tune is impossible for me to answer because there are so many that I can play over and over. The second question, as stated by Allan, is how you define a "Jazz" tune(song). Is it an original composition or a previously written song recorded by a Jazz artist?(Summertime, My Funny Valentine, etc.)

----------------

On 5/18/2004 10:01:06 PM boomac wrote:

----------------

On 5/2/2004 4:44:55 PM bobsherman wrote:

"The Blues and the Abstract Truth by Oliver Nelson is the disk. One of the greatest cuts ever is Stolen Moments. If you have never heard this please get it. Great players too;"

---------------------------------------------------------

Just got the LP a few days ago and Bob is absolutely right about "Stolen Moments". It's a spectacular composition. Freddie Hubbard's opening solo is Freddie at his soulful best.

Thanks on this one Bob!

----------------

You are very welcome!

regards

Bob

"Teen Town" by Weather Report. Pastorius as the composer, and played both the bass and drums. A brilliant musician; a tragic story.

Did someone say Jaco!? Cucumber Slumber is one of my favs...my son and I tried it on the bass...I ended up putting my fingers into a vice out of frustration.

I have been VERY impressed with a newer group- Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. On the Outbound CD or even better Live at the Quick DVD there is a KILLER version of Earth Jam (he plays those sax chords on two saxes at once!). Of course, Mr Wooten is also an amazing bass player. thanks for this tip Forrest!

I can't make up my mind either. I agree that anything sung by Jack Teagarden is a favorite. I'm a big fan of Louis' singing as well. . . . But I would probably have to say my favorite jazz tune would be something from the Strayhorn and Ellington camp. . . . I have about 7000 jazz recordings now, been through and out of the Blue Note worship trip, have fallen hard for prebop jaza, and I have a special feeling for the Ellington Orchestra.

Chuck Mangione playing "Feels so Good" on my mom's AM car radio opened the door to jazz for me in high school. It had always been something my folks liked to have spinning at parties, but never something to which I listened.

This forum is helping to educate me better than any friends have ever been able. The passion in these posts makes it dam fun to read, also.

My friend came over at 8 pm last night to buy his Heresys(the oiled oak set Liam was pushing out the door,) and they eneded staying until 11 pm, listening to jazz CDs recommended here, on the Khorns and Mac 240 downstairs. The ambiance was perfect - deep into the night, lights low, a cold homebrew in our hands, and wonderful jazz tumbling from the willing Khorns. Matt and his friend left with the Heresys, and a list of 15 jazz CDs for each to get this week.

You don't realize how many people you help expose to some fantastic music!10.gif

New favorite of the week for me. I recently picked up a copy of Sonny Criss, "This Is Criss!" He plays a version of "Sunrise/Sunset" that is just amazing. Under 3 minutes unfortunately but really great sax (Sonny Criss) and piano (Walter Davis). If you like "My Favorite Things" you'd like this also. The whole album is great.