Long winded Klipsch newbie Introduction

Hello Everybody,

I've been lurking at this great forum for over a month, and its past time I say Hello.

My dreams of a great sounding home system started some years back when I first heard a "high end" system at al local retailer. A year ago, I subscribed to TAS and Stereophile. A pity I modestly support a family of five, with my wife full time in Collage to actually afford their highly recommended interconnects, let alone the latest Wilson/Halcro etc. systems. LOL

Being the frugal sort of guy I am, my wife and I often hit the local Goodwills to see if any bargains are there. I've found some AR3a's in need of refoaming, some nice little Baby Advent IIs in great shape and some other misc. finds, but a month ago while sitting at the computer at work (doing work of course), I get a call from my wife saying she saw a "big pair of nice looking speakers, K..something. KLH? Klipsh?, I say? Yes, Klipsch might be it she says. Too bad the stores closed now. That evening I gain a couple more grey hairs as I imagine what these speakers may be. $150 a pair my wife said, pretty pricey for Goodwill, and for our budget at the time.

First thing in the morning I hop in my Jeep to the store. There still there. 1986 oiled Forte's!! Very good shape, minus a few light nicks and scratches. $150/pair. I try to look bored for the store employees. Being the cheap bastard I am, ask the manager if he might sell them a little cheaper. "Depends on how much cheaper", he says. I'll take them for $120, says El cheapo.....

Sounds good the manager says !!! 3.gif Klipsch Forte's in Jeep, one happy bastard.

I love these speakers. So does my wonderful wife. She knows we could probably get about $400-$500 on E-bay for them, but says we should keep them.. They sound so good , she says. Shes definitely a keeper too. I have a 1990s model Kenwood receiver that Im sure is not doing justice to these speakers, but they still sound great. 1000 times better than the Bose 6.1s I got rid of a year ago on E-bay after finding the much better sounding (then the Bose), Advents.

(Head down in shame 15.gif ) I David Candelaria, once fell for the marketing crap of the Big Bad Bose B.S.ers.

I hope youre still reading this long winded intro. I love my Fortes, and you folks on this forum seem like a great bunch of people. Ive read back most of the post from a few months back learning quite a bit about Klipsch and about its wonderful community of fans. I look forward to participating in whatever way my newbie self can, and thank Mr. Klipsch (and Goodwill luck), for the opportunity to enjoy my love of music.

David Candelaria

Congrats on the great buy David and welcome to the forum. You are correct, there are many good guys that hang out here that enjoy helping others. The Forte's are nice speakers and you got them for a song. I hope you enjoy them along with your time spent here.

Keith

Welcome. We've got to do something about that receiver though. I'm thinking used Denon 1803 or maybe even an uptodate cd player. Would probably depend upon whether you'll be going two channel or home theater (with 5 kids I'm thinking probably home theater). Let's give this man a few suggestions shall we?

Thanks everyone, for the hardy welcome guys!

I do indeed consider myself very lucky to have found these speakers. I can't get over how good they sound. (even with my old Kenwood). Collin, I would love to buy my wife a nice tube amp 2.gif. Will have to wait a while for that LOL. Thebes, I listen to 2-channel most of the time, but the family does enjoy watching a movie together, with the Forte's hooked up of course! William, I checked out your post, thanks for the great info.

I have a 1960's Curtas Mathus Console Tube Reciever that works (somewhat). It's a real pretty peice of furnature right now. It's sound output is real low, and stations come in for a while and then go out again later. The turntable needs a new needle. Will have to start looking for an honest tube tech in my local to see if I can get it working properly. Am curious as to how the Fortes would sound hooked up to it. The console speakers in it sound ok, and the tubes sure do have a warm, smooth sound. I'll try to scan the schematics and owners manual with some pics in a later post.

Boy I need to moderate the length of my post. 1.gif

Dave, Happy owner of a rare find

Dave:

Congrats on the steal (excuse me, I mean shrewd find) on the Fortes! I'll bet the old Curtis Mathes will sound pretty good with those. My folks had a 1963 CM "entertainemt center" that they bought new (I was 3 years old at the time). In about 1978 my older brother connected his Cervin Vega "Earthshakers" to the CM. Even those sounded good, at least as good as his Sansui amp that he had. About a month ago, I was visiting my folks and I asked them what ever happened to the old CM. They told me that they gave it to a guy a few years ago who gutted the electronics and converted it into a bookcase. What a shame!

Enjoy your "new" Klipsch. If you hang around here very much, there will be more Klipsch in your future, somehow it just works that way!

David

Dave,

Welcome and congrats!!!!!!!!!3.gif1.gif9.gif

Your kids are going to love growing up in a Klipsch houshold! Music appreciation 101.

That ole Curtis Mathis should have EL-84 tubes in it. They're probably a little weak after all this time. Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a like new set of Russian EH EL-84's to perk it up for you and the kids. Mom has to study!

Rick

$120 for a set of Forte's WOW. Talk about picking them up for a song. Oops sorry welcome to the forum. Great intro, I just can't get past the $120 Forte's man....CONGRATS!!!!!! You will find this to be a most informative forum. And a word of caution if you don't do it now you will in the future and the "it" is "E-bay". I give you this caution because its inevitable. I never did E-bay until I came to this forum. Its kind of a right of passage around here. I Just picked up a set of Heresy IIs recently. Again welcome.

Hey, I know what a "steal" those speakers are now!

I hope to save a bit of money and try to fix up my old Curtis Mathes if it's not too $$$. David (Seadog), it is a shame about your parents CM, it is a really nice piece of solid furniture and decor, if nothing else.

Rick, I'm "working" right know, so when I get home, I'll check my owners manual for the type of tubes. I think your correct, and your right about the kids loving the Klipsch. My two and a half year boy says "speakers make pretty music". Coudn't say it better my self. My daughters like do dance and sing with the music load. My poor wife.

J.4knee, I have indeed discovered E-bay, So far I've used it for unloading my old Bose, and some other stuff I've found at thrift stores. I have a bad feeling my wallets going to get lighter real soon. I'm already dreamin of tubes, and or a Forte/Heresy souround system.

Dave

Albuquerque, NM

We have a family business in your neck of the woods. The Albuquerque, NM ballon festival is incredible. I also love to watch the hang gliders walk off the top of the mountain after going to the the top of the moutain using the cable car ride too.

Santa Fe, Taos, as long as you do not get offended by green chili on everything...LOL.. or get overheated on great mexican food in the Olde Town...ALBQ is great.

Welcome to the forum. Yes, you got a great deal. Take your time read a lot and ask as many questions as you like. We are here to help and learn from each other on here.

IMO...with 5 kids,..You need some type of a Home Theater too. Finding Nemo will be incredible, trust me! On a budget, look for a used Denon.... And you should be very happy!

Dave,

Congratulations on the incredible find! I am of course refering to your wife! Mine would never set foot in a thrift store, much less call me to inform me of a deal. Good thing actually, as my garage is bulging with "deals" I've scored on my own adventures in Second-Hand Land.

IMHO, don't be so quick to jump onto the new equipment bandwagon. Your Kenwood is probably fine, and with good Karma, more gear will come your way (Look, Rick is sending you some new tubes! It works!).

BTW, your posts are NOT long-winded. Welcome!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great deal. I, like Fini, was thinking the same thing about your wife-what a great gal. My wife wouldn't even think about telling me about a way to add more "stuff" to our home!!! A couple of great catches for you!!!