VRD Amps Getting Close !!

NOSValves

Just returned from the Metal stamping shop and fitting all the components before I have them powder coated and believe it or not they all fit as intended !! One thing I would like suggestions on is would the front driver tubes look nicer to you guys if they were slightly recessed below the top plate or up as far as possible? I'm off to the powder coaters right now I've decided to stick with the original color tones for the plates and transformers from my original proto types what do you all think of that? By the way the original proto types will be going up for sale pretty soon so drop me a line if your interested they will be at a great deal and do sound extremely sweet as many have commented before.

This is Walnut and of coarse the Top Plates and End bells are raw steal right now

VRD1.jpg

VRD2.jpg

VRD3.jpg

Here is the original Proto types in Alder. The top plates will be powder coated a metal finish rather then soft aluminum on the final product.

VRD-1.jpg

VRD-2.jpg

Nice looking units, Craig! When it comes to the front driver tubes I would mount them on top of the chassis...looks better to my eyes....and if those amps were less heavy and I less broke 2.gif , I'd say ship them to me.

Wolfram

Is that a Welborne chassis, by the way? Heck, I wish I thought of one of those before I started this AE-1 rebuild project. I'm just using a simple Hammond box, which is what I could afford.

Anyway, that looks great, and I think the spacing between the power and OPT is just FINE! You have them opposing one another to reduce coupling, and they look cool!

Erik

Looks great Craig!

I definately like the darker coating.

You will probably be hearing from me next year during tax refund time.2.gif That should give you time to get all the production stuff worked out.

Noticed the Acoustic Sounds catalog in the pics too. I spent some time over the weekend putting together another wish list out of there. Also just got a new Music Direct catalog today to read through later. So much music and so little money.

It looks very nice Craig. I will go for the driver tubes mounted at the surface. All the other tubes are mounted at the surface level, so these should be there as well. The soft aluminum is a much nicer look, not as industrial in apperarance as the metal powder coat. It makes it look more expensive. p]

Where did you put the power switch on the new version? On the prototype it appears to be on the front, but there is not one readily visible on the walnut version. I like the plate on the back, a much better idea than the wood version and it allows for the use of an upgraded power cord.

I'm really happy for you Craig. You've worked hard to make this happen, and I'm glad to see the dream play out into reality. You've added more color to the audio world, and I for one am wishing you the greatest of success.

BTW -- I like the tubes on top.

Oh my, look at what they have done to you, my preciousssss. Let's slip off and eat some nice fishes, shall we?

Craig, I've just sold the VOTs. Give me a ring today, and I can bring an envelope with us to Indy. I just have to keep it away from Liam in the back seat.

Thanks for all the kind statements and encouragments your all a great bunch. The preamp tubes will be mounted up I kind of thought it would be the response I would get !

Looks like Dave still wants the proto types that he jumped on some 5 months ago or so. I will have to honor his request since he is 5 months ahead of anyone. I didn't think he still wanted them !

Craig

Craig-

These amps look wonderful. You've done a great job with them. I wish I could hear them at Indy this year, but maybe some other time. You still have an open invitation whenever you are here in Denver. It would be great to meet you in person!

Rob

Something to keep in mind here folks, these aren't exactly Dynaclones anymore. There has been an ongoing collaboration between Craig and Mark on the front end board -- and I have a feeling the end result is oh so sweet.

Danny,

Shoot me a email when you will have time to chat on the phone also send the best number to reach you at.

As far as Dean's comments he is right there is absolutely nothing Dynaco in these amps the only think they have in common with a Mark III is the output tubes are wired the same which can be said for any UT wired EL34,6L6,KT66 and on and on saying this is a Dynaclone is like saying a Cayin TA30 is a ST70 clone since they would be about as similar to each other. But hey my Mark III modified amps can have the same said about them. When you completely change the front end, Power supply, Bias Supply what else is there ?

Craig