Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Ok my home theatre is undergoing a transformation. Decided to upgrade to an rc64 II and a set of eD A5-350 subs. So why does this make for a transformation? Well, in order to place the subs where I want them I had to raise my on wall projector screen. Quite a job. Also the shelf I had built for my c-3 of course does not work with the 64. So a new shelf was required. I will update as I go along. Tonight I tore everything down. Stained and lacquered the shelf and trim and started mapping out my mounting brackets.

IMG_0088.jpg

Tearing down the screen and gettin ready to raise it up.

IMG_0089.jpg

Well I can tell you that you can make an inexpensive screen at home that is almost as good as the 6-7 hundred dollar screens. Ended up raising it a total of 7 inches. I was gonna go 9 but seemed to high for the viewing position so I went with 7. Riped up the wall abit from the glue (wont use glue again) so I have some patch work to do. The new oak shelf is complete and I have locked it to the wall with a couple of steal straps. Added the wooden supports mostly for looks as the metal looks like crap. I plan on painting the visible metal white to blend in with the wall. The added benefit of raising the screen was also raising the center speaker shelf thus bringing it more inline with the front mains.

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

I have so much support on the shelf I think I could stand on it! Lol

I actually stained a 2 inch wide and 3/4 inch high piece of oak as wide as the shelf. I was going to place it at the front of the shelf so it would angle up my center. Then I found out about the tilting legs on the rc 64ii. I will use one or the other or both but I am going to angle it up.

ref, I don't usually get into recommending but my Epson 8500 gives a great picture and I picked it up new in the box for $1200 (about 2k msrp originally). My main point is Epson is a good bang for the buck. I hope you don't but any model Epson and it turns out to be a piece of garbage but thats probably not going to happen. Nic

Jason, Very helpful progression of pictures and info. You made the DIY screen look easy even though it requires more work and skill then it appears. I guess you enjoy your Epson 8500 as much as I do mine. My salesman drooled a bit at the picture when he came to visit as it even looks good in low light. Nic

Did you build your own screen? Maybe we should do a "how to" thread on screen building. Mine is simple. 1. Project a four foot high image on the wall and measure the length. 2. Buy a piece of Masonite or hardboard as some call it. 3. It is already 4 feet high so you just have the lumber yard cut your length. 4. Buy four trim pieces and have them cut to length (or cut at home). 6. Paint, flat finish black for the trim and behr "silver screen" flat for the screen. You will also need some polyurethane and white and black wood filler.

Now you have everything you need. Tools u will need are: drill, stud finder, level, measuring tape. You will also need drywall screws and nails. I used a finish nailer that I borrowed but you could just hammer the nails in if you can't get your hands on a air nailer.

I started by pre painting all my items. Flat black on the trim and a 2-1 ratio of silver screen and poly mixture for the viewing surface. Next I moved on by nailing the lower trim piece up making sure it is level. Place your screen on the wall resting it on the lower trim and put 3 screws in across the top and 3 across the bottom.

At this point fill in your screws with wood filler and after it dries sand smooth. Use the silver screen poly mix to touch up the screw mounts. It may not look perfect but trust me it will not be seen if you do even an adequate job.

Tack up the remainder of the trim and fill in your nail holes with wood filler.

Make sure you hit studs when screwing on your screen. Also make sure your happy with the screen height from your seating position. I used glue on the back of my trim and it destroyed my drywall when I removed it. If you avoid glue then all you will have to do is simply fill in some nail holes if you remove the screen.

ref, I don't usually get into recommending but my Epson 8500 gives a great picture and I picked it up new in the box for $1200 (about 2k msrp originally). My main point is Epson is a good bang for the buck. I hope you don't but any model Epson and it turns out to be a piece of garbage but thats probably not going to happen. Nic

thanks i heard that espon and panny are great value.

So I have been able to put alot of time into the home theatre this weekend in between a bunch or honey do list items. I had everything tacked up yesterday and decided I was happy. So today I pulled the shelf down, taped and painted the wall, and touched up the screen. The I apoligize in advance but I feel that Apple decided to put the shutter button for the iphone on the exact place that they thought it would give me the most trouble with keeping the picture steady! lol

Painted a

Color choice seems a little odd at this point but once my shelf is up and all the speakers are in place I think it will tie in with the rest of the room.

IMG_0104.jpg

The wall looks a little beat up but it seems much better in person and almost all imperfections will be covered by shelving and speakers. Seriously though if anyone decides to take on a project like this do not use glue. It just destroys the wall should you ever need to take it down. Spent 3 hours with filler and sand paper smoothing things out.

IMG_0103.jpg

A little blury but you can see the far wall is the same "cargo pants" green shade I used under the screen

IMG_0102.jpg

Again the green by the stairs. When it gets done drying I will put up the shelf and replace the speakers and get some more pics. The real pics won't be available till Wednesday when my A5-350's are set to arrive!

• dtel pinned this topic