Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

OK, all together now, "EVERY ROOM IS DIFFERENT!". Especially when it comes to sub placement. What other people have success with in their rooms has no bearing on what will work in your room. The only constant that I can think of is corner placement increasing output due to proximity of room boundaries. If you only have 2 physical locations available to you, try your sub in both locations and see which one sounds best.

Have you experience in placing it in the center? I think for now its fine on the left, next to the couch.

I read a while back on audioholics that placing the sub up front in the middle is one of the worst places. You can do what you like, I just thought I would trhow that out there for you.

As far as making a comment on the other post, I will hold back on that.[A]

Have you experience in placing it in the center? I think for now its fine on the left, next to the couch.

I read a while back on audioholics that placing the sub up front in the middle is one of the worst places. You can do what you like, I just thought I would trhow that out there for you.

As far as making a comment on the other post, I will hold back on that.Angel

I've heard that, but it's what is recommended by THX. So, if you aren't supposed to put it there, why not?

This coming from a guy who thinks La Scala are bedroom speakers! CoolYes

You mean they're NOT bedroom speakers? Indifferent Mine would actually fit better in our bedroom... it's the largest room in the house.

They make excellent bedroom speakers, just do it![|-)]

I've heard that, but it's what is recommended by THX. So, if you aren't supposed to put it there, why not?

Quote from Bill Fitzmaurice on placement for the TUBA design.

"Boundary loading should be used whenever its practical to do so. Having subs next to a wall gets you 6dB of additional sensitivity below about 80Hz, and putting them in a corner an extra 12dB. In most cases youll have best results with the cabinet mouth on the floor against one wall, about 18 inches from the adjacent wall. If the cabinet mouth is a quarter-wavelength from a boundary there will be up to a 24dB deep cancellation at that frequency. Within the nominal bandwidth of the THT a quarter-wavelength ranges from 19 feet at 15 Hz to 2.8 feet at 100 Hz, so middle of room placement usually wont work well."

So from that I get that the wavelength relative to the width of the room is important and if you put the woofer in the middle there will be a frequency that will suffer a significant loss in level and the frequency that this happens at will be determined by the room dimensions.

Also I get that placement off centre will affect 2 frequencies but only half as much.

So experimentation with speaker placement is the best way to work out what works best.

In a large Cinema the size of the room would permit centre under the screen placement to work as I understand it.

"Boundary loading should be used whenever it’s practical to do so. Having subs next to a wall gets you 6dB of additional sensitivity below about 80Hz, and putting them in a corner an extra 12dB. In most cases you’ll have best results with the cabinet mouth on the floor against one wall, about 18 inches from the adjacent wall. If the cabinet mouth is a quarter-wavelength from a boundary there will be up to a 24dB deep cancellation at that frequency. Within the nominal bandwidth of the THT a quarter-wavelength ranges from 19 feet at 15 Hz to 2.8 feet at 100 Hz, so middle of room placement usually won’t work well."

So from that I get that the wavelength relative to the width of the room is important and if you put the woofer in the middle there will be a frequency that will suffer a significant loss in level and the frequency that this happens at will be determined by the room dimensions.

Also I get that placement off centre will affect 2 frequencies but only half as much.

So experimentation with speaker placement is the best way to work out what works best.

In a large Cinema the size of the room would permit centre under the screen placement to work as I understand it.

Bill Fitzmaurice told me specifically that having the THT's on either side of the center channel wasn't optimum, and suggested side wall placement. I put them in the center anyway, because it just works in so many other ways, and when I sit on the sofa 24' away, I get a hell of a rumble. As for the rest of the shop, there is plenty of bass, and it is just fine. My setup is far from the norm, as it is a 5,000 sq ft shop with 20' eves and a concrete floor.

"Boundary loading should be used whenever its practical to do so. Having subs next to a wall gets you 6dB of additional sensitivity below about 80Hz, and putting them in a corner an extra 12dB. In most cases youll have best results with the cabinet mouth on the floor against one wall, about 18 inches from the adjacent wall. If the cabinet mouth is a quarter-wavelength from a boundary there will be up to a 24dB deep cancellation at that frequency. Within the nominal bandwidth of the THT a quarter-wavelength ranges from 19 feet at 15 Hz to 2.8 feet at 100 Hz, so middle of room placement usually wont work well."

Bill Fitzmaurice told me specifically that having the THT's on either side of the center channel wasn't optimum, and suggested side wall placement. I put them in the center anyway, because it just works in so many other ways, and when I sit on the sofa 24' away, I get a hell of a rumble. As for the rest of the shop, there is plenty of bass, and it is just fine. My setup is far from the norm, as it is a 5,000 sq ft shop with 20' eves and a concrete floor.

I'm breaking in my Dayton RSS390 HF-4 at the moment and have had it playing music for over 48 hours on and off now between 5 and 15 volts. I'm going for the THT LP in 72x18x36. I have 2 configs where I can point the mouth at the boundary wall while flat against the other wall and floor. i.e. in it's edge or laying flat on the floor. I can also place it standing point up at the sloping underside of the stairs. I will experiment. I went with the THT LP as full size can fit through doorways and the mouth is bigger than the 36" cube. I expect I will have plenty of headroom so only a few watts will be needed in normal use so distortion will be minimal.

post-45280-13819665374532_thumb.jpg

A lot of talk for a thread about "seeing" your home theater. Lets shoot for more pictures to accompany the talk.

pretty demanding for a forum noob. stick around long enough and you'll see that just about every thread ends up in multiple tangents. feel free to go through the first 266 pages while we accomodate your request.

I figured after 6 years on the forum it was time to post a pic. Equipment is in my sig. Click the pic to enlarge. Click again for detail.

Carl

i sat right at the red arrow about two years ago (he neglected to show pictures of the rs-7's to each side and the ominous RB-35's at the rear) for about an hour soaking in fresh espresso and glorious sound, while his kids rolled their eyes at dad showing of his system to some stranger. great family and hospitality - can't wait to get back down there for another day-trip visit (it's about 12 hours round trip with rest stops and time at casa del Carl).

Anyways - great system to sit and enjoy. very full and enveloping, without being harsh or tiresome at reference levels. the bass is in your chest, yet smooth.

DSC_0178.JPG

i sat right at the red arrow about two years ago (he neglected to show pictures of the rs-7's to each side and the ominous RB-35's at the rear) for about an hour soaking in fresh espresso and glorious sound, while his kids rolled their eyes at dad showing of his system to some stranger. great family and hospitality - can't wait to get back down there for another day-trip visit (it's about 12 hours round trip with rest stops and time at casa del Carl).

Anyways - great system to sit and enjoy. very full and enveloping, without being harsh or tiresome at reference levels. the bass is in your chest, yet smooth.

Thanks Michael. I've aquired a few more toys since the last time you were here. We'll need to figure out a way for you to spend a little more time here next time you come[;)]. And no, you won't be leaving with any more of my speakers!!

Thanks Michael. I've aquired a few more toys since the last time you were here. We'll need to figure out a way for you to spend a little more time here next time you comeWink. And no, you won't be leaving with any more of my speakers!!

indeed, we do. i'll be leaving a happy camper, whether with your speakers or otherwise (but you can keep those stinkin Heritage speakers)

• dtel pinned this topic