First Pictures from the Tour of the Klipsch HQ

I had a great time also. Friday night in the party room at the hotel was by far the best part of the weekend for me. Meeting and getting to know everyone and fighting over the music selections was great. Excellent tour of the facility (especially the heritage room where The Planets, mine BTW Gil, really made those khorns sing). I certainly didn't expect a piece of classical music to receive an ovation from the primarily rock & roll crowd.2.gif It was Larry who suggested I bring that CD to play for the sole purpose of auditioning a great classical selection for everyone to hear on the khorns.

We spent some time at IndyKlischFan's beautiful home last night after dinner where he has, I believe, 32 heritage speakers running both a Khorn/Cornwall HT upstairs and a karaoke setup in the basement. He then proceeded to blow our minds when he took the mic and sang for us. Amazing voice! Thanks again for your hospitality Roger!

I just got back and need to unpack. Thanks to Trey and the rest of the Klipsch gang for a great weekend.1.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Gary, so it is yours. Why don't you give us the specifics . . . it is SADC/CD as I recall. I'd buy one to have on hand when I eventually upgrade.

I recall Fred the K. commenting that he'd see people next year and asked Mr. Geist (?) whether it would be in Indy or Hope. Geist (if it was him) said probably Indy.

Of course, those were just offhand comments. Nonetheless, there is a pattern forming.

Best,

Gil

I forgot to add that there was one industial type "Valerie" in the listening room. Andy reports it as being called the "LB". Too bad there was not a second. Maybe next year?

Stenciled (sp?) on the back was the word "Mike".

Gil

A nearly 30-year career as one of the best drummers in the world and his big claim to fame is this?

"Would have loved to stayed and listened to the Jeff Hamilton trio (played drums on Diana Krall's Live In Paris DVD). That was have been awesome in that intimate setting."

I guess playing all those years with Monty Alexander, Bud Shank, Laurindo Almeida, Ray Brown, The Clayton Bros., the Clayton-Hamilton Orchestra, etc. just pale when compared with his work with Diana Krall. . .

Nothing against Krall, but as Helen Merrill said to me a couple of weeks ago, "she's a very good cabaret singer, don't you think?"

Sounds like a good time was had by all . . .

----------------

On 6/13/2004 7:22:47 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

Sorry Gary, so it is yours. Why don't you give us the specifics . . . it is SADC/CD as I recall. I'd buy one to have on hand when I eventually upgrade.

I recall Fred the K. commenting that he'd see people next year and asked Mr. Geist (?) whether it would be in Indy or Hope. Geist (if it was him) said probably Indy.

Of course, those were just offhand comments. Nonetheless, there is a pattern forming.

Best,

Gil

----------------

Gil,

When Larry began his quest to help me appreciate classical music, The Planets was first on the list. That is how I ended up with this SACD/CD hybrid (can be played on any cd player). I ordered it from elusive disk not long ago and when Larry and I discussed what classical music would go over well with the Indy crowd, he immediately recommended The Planets. I also had fallen in love with this particular recording. It can be ordered here:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAXSAM004&variation=&aitem=9&mitem=10

The Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by David Lloyd-Jones featuring soprano Claire Rutter performing Holst The Planets & The Mystic Trumpeter.

BTW - We listened to Mars, The Bringer Of War.

----------------

On 6/12/2004 9:40:22 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

Yes, the K-Horn, in my view, is still the best. Larry C. brought along a very good Planets, CD and Mars was used as a demo.

One of our newer and talkative buddies evidently heard the K-Horns for the first time and said, "Every other speaker just went away." That is what all of us remember on the first hearing. This was the 2004 model; it's been happening since the late 1940s. I thank Fred K. for keeping it in the line up.

----------------

I heard a lot of gasps in my group too when Steve P switched on the Khorns.1.gif

I enjoyed hearing the small HT equipment and the Promedia stuff. Granted it was not Heritage, but it sounded darn good, especially for the $$$$1.gif

I have to commend Klipsch mgmt and engineering for taking the time to make a first rate product, in every price range, and function. It has to be really tough challange making great sounding small speakers to match the changing wants of the general public. I think you are all doing a great job.

I noticed a lot of dialog between us and Klipsch at this event, with Klipsch wanting our feedback about the new products and insight to where we think Klipsch should be heading etc.

It is refreshing to see so many employees excited about there products and the company they work for, especially in the business world of today.

I also want to thank them for hosting this event again this year. I really had a good time agian and hope this is repeated again next year.

JM

To WGM and all,

thanks for the read and pics on the trip, appreciated, one day I will make the journey, oh yes, timing is just off for work. I will see the birth place of my Heritage, hopefully Klipsch will do a tour of Hope again sometime...oh yes....

*cheers*

they had the sneakers on sale at WalMart for $19.99 this past weekend, batteries not included mind you....RUN FORREST RUN....10.gif

----------------

On 6/13/2004 5:52:54 PM picky wrote:

I really wish I could have joined you all.

----------------

yeah... ditto. Unfortunately a little far for me... so I didn't attend the event again this year. Hopefully I'll be able to synchronize a trip one year... 1.gif

Did they redo the ABX cable test this year?...

Later...

Rob

----------------

On 6/13/2004 11:14:03 PM formica wrote:

----------------

On 6/13/2004 5:52:54 PM picky wrote:

I really wish I could have joined you all.

----------------

yeah... ditto. Would be a pretty. Unfortunately a little far for me... so I didn't attend the event again this year. Hopefully I'll be able to synchronize a trip one year...
1.gif

Did they redo the ABX cable test this year?...

Later...

Rob

----------------

Yes they did. I stayed for 1 test and successfully chose the different wire. Brighter with more detail. It was a no-brainer IMO. Boomac was 16 out of 16. I did hear they may have had a problem with the test so I'm not really sure we learned anything from it. Hopefully someone will enlighten us.

Come to find out, Gary, when I took the test (right after we A/B'ed the new product with the RF-3) they accidentally hooked the speakers up out of phase - something I'm guessing he fixed by the time you guys got there.

Out of phase or not, I was able to get 16 out of 25 right, and I was able to correctly identify the Kimber Cable at the end of the test.

Man, if my back hadn't given out by the time we got to the Heritage room, it would have been a lot more fun. Been a while since I was on my feet that long.

Dinner Saturday was great - too bad the comedy act had to run everyone out of there before the really good jazz got started at 9.

And yes, as several people can attest, my first up-close and personal encounter with a pair of Khorns was bliss - and it convinced me that I want no other upgrades until I can get my hands on a pair, and the 4-Khorn, 3 Belle HT will happen - I will find a way...

Craig was most gracious bringing all that groovy equipment down, too. Those VRD's were sweet - but half my fun Friday night was putting on that FZ album and hearing the wave of grumbling from the rest of the group - "What the hell is this crap?!" - "You've got to be kidding!" - "Who put this on, anyway?!"

For those of you who didn't catch it that night, part of the humour of Ship Arriving was that it was deliberately mixed to sound just like those cheezy early 80's hair band records. Anyone who is a follower and appreciator of Frank's work can attest that no album in his entire catalog sounded so exquisitely bad as that one - which, of course, was precisely the reason I felt compelled to play it on such a wonderful audio system... 9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

"A nearly 30-year career as one of the best drummers in the world and his big claim to fame is this?

"Would have loved to stayed and listened to the Jeff Hamilton trio (played drums on Diana Krall's Live In Paris DVD). That was have been awesome in that intimate setting."

I guess playing all those years with Monty Alexander, Bud Shank, Laurindo Almeida, Ray Brown, The Clayton Bros., the Clayton-Hamilton Orchestra, etc. just pale when compared with his work with Diana Krall. . . "

I'm not trying to say that is Jeff Hamilton's claim to fame. I am very new to jazz and that was my first exposure to him. I could tell from Krall's introduction of him that he has had a great career and is extremely talented. Again, I would love to have stuck around and listened to his trio.

The speakers wire test this year basically ment zip... (sorry for the pun..) The first 1/2 or so of the people who tested had the luxury of hearing the speakers out of phase...and thus wired incorrectly. (Shame on those with bad scores here..LOL) When Trey at Klipsch heard the scores were high or nearly 100% he looked and sure enough thats the reason. Some might of had better scores with fewer tries too. Do like 20 comparrisons then tell me how you do. Most do terrible. Even "great ears" were in the high 50%'s low 60%'s.

Hopefully, we can prove again next year how this all pans out... So those of you in the "better wire is always necessary," can see and hear for yourself.. Electrons do not care what wire it is. If it is a good connection, it still works! (OK, So I am biased too.) Let the wars begin.... again.

That's too bad for the ABX tests... I enjoy hearing practical results versus the theory sooooo frequently argued on here.

I'd agree that the number of test runs is also statistically significant... so that with only 25 odd tests per subject... low 60% could still be seen as a null result. Kinda like artto (?) last year who was initially on a roll... 4.gif

It has been determined that electrons respond favorably to improvements in their operating environment. Modern electron-psychologists attribute this fact to the well known Coefficient of Wire Happiness. This theory states that Electrons flowing through a medium exhibit feelings of self-worth and happiness directly proportional to the dollars spent by the speaker wire provider. Furthermore studies have shown that these happy electrons have an overwhelming desire to please the provider of the improved operating medium and outperform their not-so-happy counterparts by a factor known as the coefficient of wire happiness which is given by

CWH = Owners perceived improvement/ Dollars spent on wire upgrade.2.gif

NOW Where are those pictures from the Indy trip.

1.gif

----------------

On 6/14/2004 1:33:54 PM cluless wrote:

It has been determined that electrons respond favorably to improvements in their operating environment. Modern electron-psychologists attribute this fact to the well known Coefficient of Wire Happiness. This theory states that Electrons flowing through a medium exhibit feelings of self-worth and happiness directly proportional to the dollars spent by the speaker wire provider. Furthermore studies have shown that these happy electrons have an overwhelming desire to please the provider of the improved operating medium and outperform their not-so-happy counterparts by a factor known as the coefficient of wire happiness which is given by

CWH = Owners perceived improvement/ Dollars spent on wire upgrade.
2.gif

NOW Where are those pictures from the Indy trip.

1.gif
----------------

That is too funny, Clueless! Great post!

David

----------------

On 6/14/2004 1:16:24 PM formica wrote:

That's too bad for the ABX tests... I enjoy hearing practical results versus the theory sooooo frequently argued on here.

I'd agree that the number of test runs is also statistically significant... so that with only 25 odd tests per subject... low 60% could still be seen as a null result. Kinda like artto (?) last year who was initially on a roll...
4.gif

----------------

See, that's the problem. Artto was initially on a roll - I was too this year - nailing them left and right when I first got started.

Problem is, ear fatigue sets in. The longer you listen to the same source material over and over again, the less able you are to differentiate between subtle differences, and the more overloaded your already short-attention-span audio memory becomes, so the less accurate your hearing is over time.

I'll be the first to admit that, while I heard a difference between the two sets of wires, it damned sure wasn't a $250.00 difference for a 10 foot pair.