Building a " Belle " ?

Dale W

There is a forum member (Don) that has built mini Belle's and Khorn's to scale so he must have plans I would guess. He is in Vermont and I do have his email address I can contact him if you like. I wonder if he has those mini Belle's for sale still, hhmmmmmm.

I built a Belle to match my 'factory' '74 Belle center to use as a rear center. Piece of cake if you have a decent table saw and some woodworking aptitude. Cuts were very straightforward. I have several sets of Belle plans, but what worked best for me was to use the plans then verify the measurements again to make sure.

Took about 2 weeks as I only had an hour or so after work to work on it. Need plans? I believe that I have the originals stowed somewhere....they are cryptic but with them and additional 'just to make sure' measurements you too should have no trouble. I'll root around for the plans, if you are interested, shoot me a PM and I will send you what I have.

Hi Tom....yup, got your PM.....it'll take me a couple of days to rustle up the plans then I'll send them to you along with any notations I can think of. "Yes", that is what I meant, looking at the plans and answering my own questions by measuring the factory Belle....you know how it is with plans, they are 2D for a 3D world. I can assure you that you will have questions, if you do, just send me your questions and I'll confirm measurements, take pics, or whatever it takes.

----------------

On 6/14/2004 1:48:01 PM edwardre wrote:

I'll root around for the plans, if you are interested, shoot me a PM and I will send you what I have.

----------------

I'd be interested as well... I could PM you... or how about getting them posted on here?

BTW, last i heard, Don still had his mini-belles and a pair of mini-klipschorns he build as well. He has some great woodworking skills...

Rob

Hey ED !!

Could you send them to me as well ?

I did some inter-net searching and came up with a few hand drawn pictures and some plans over at the bd design forum , those guys build just about anything over there . some good lascalas plans as well , even just the lascala bass bin plans ( for use with a top oris horn ) .

Andy !! where are you ??? Theres so many guys here that want a belle as a center channel old andy should come out of retirement for awhile 2.gif

I'd like to give an opinion here. And perhaps dispell some worry.

It is that there is no magic to an exact replication of either the Belle or the LaScala.

When you start off, there is the natural thought that any small deviation in a home built unit, away from the Belle or LS, from the factory unit, is going to lead to a disaster in performance.

But that can't be true. The Belle and LS are dimensionally different in many respects. Yet in performance, PWK compairs them as pretty much equivalent. So there is no reason to worry about small deviations at all.

Naturally, the back box has to sealed and good woodworking skills are necesssary.

You may see where my argumement is going. If your error in dimensions in making an LS is off, then it looks more like a Belle. And if your error in making a Belle is off, then it is looks more like an LS. But both are equivalent.

Such sophistry aside, the reality is that these designs are pretty much based on the same parameters. Those being horn length, mouth size, back volume, and throat size. A few inches here or there is not going to make a difference.

Gil

marvel, that's a cool offer. consider it done.

Edwarde, I sent you PM and email, but the Klipsch server is unable to contact/connect to the email server in your profile. looks like an address at *****valleygr***.com? is it still valid?

might want to check into it.

Tom

----------------

On 6/16/2004 7:02:40 AM Marvel wrote:

3D rendering (exploded view) of one as well, as I did with the LaScalas

----------------

I've been wanting to mention that your 3D rendering came out realy nice on the LaScalas... 10.gif A Klipschorn would probably be too complex?

Rob