POWER per PWK DOPE FROM HOPE

dodger

Hello:

Four mentions of using 10 watts ( including Brook Amplifier), one mention of 1/4 watt, one of 26 watts,

one "required" staement of 10 watts sine wave power. Written by PWK, "Dope from Hope."

Do the Brook Amplifiers ever appear for sale actually asking how common they are.

On a different note, I bought my LaScalas two (2) years apart. The newer pair had less bass. Took it apart, different driver. Called Klipsch, explained situation, exchanged drivers, I only paid shipping cost. THAT's Customer Service.

dodger

Be sure to read the 5-line paragraph starting with the word "amplifier" on page two of that doc. :) points out how much power is needed to drive Khorns to 110dB with peaks to 120dB. Ten watts is the number mentioned. Below the chart it mentions that the wattage numbers presented can be halved if using two channels. more :)

I also liked the way that PWK refused to call high power SS amps as amplifiers he called them "100 watt stoves"...lol...

the brook 2A3 PP amps (the ones that PWK used for years to demonstrate klipschorns, belles and heresys to "ear splitting levels") come up from time to time on ebay, the last pair I saw went for $5,000 the pair if I remember correctly, I have some pics and schematics somewhere if you are interested.

regards, tony

I have just discovered that the numbers on page two of the PDF that are in the grey area of the chart did not make it through the trip through my fax machine and into my computer. Contrast problem I suppose. Anyway, there are only two more numbers per speaker and here they are in case someone wants them.

Power for Heresy at 110 db is 142 watts.

Absolute maximum for Heresy at 112.4 db is 250 watts

Power for Cornwall at 115 db is 180 watts.

Absolute maximum for Cornwall at 117.2 db is 300 watts.

Power for Khorn, Belle Klipsch and Lascalas at 120 db is 200 watts.

Absolute at 122.7 db is 375 watts.

Bob

----------------

On 7/28/2004 5:48:08 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

Be sure to read the 5-line paragraph starting with the word "amplifier" on page two of that doc.
:)
points out how much power is needed to drive Khorns to 110dB with peaks to 120dB. Ten watts is the number mentioned. Below the chart it mentions that the wattage numbers presented can be halved if using two channels. more
:)

----------------

Tom,

I suggest you take what ever amp you have and a dB meter and test these numbers at your listening position. I defy you take even a 20 watt amp and hit 110dB steady state and 120db peaks (this means the SLP meter stay at or above 110db all the time) cleanly with out easily noticable distortion and clipping. Some this stuff is just plain redicules maybe the Brooks was that good but I've yet to witness 10 watts that can do it without extreme headroom above it. Also in that paragraph your refering to it clearly says "a pair of Klipschorns by a mere 10 watt per channel amplifier" So no halving to be done there

Craig

How are these measurements taken? What is the input? Is it just a single frequency from a tone generator?

If that is the case, remember that music is a lot tougher challenge. And when amps are driven too hard, complex music isn't rendered well, instruments tend to blur into each other.

This whole question about what is the least amount of power one can get by with seems kind of silly, doesn't it? One might infer that each extra watt costs $500 or something, the way people carry on at times 1.gif

"I have just discovered that the numbers on page two of the PDF that are in the grey area of the chart did not make it through the trip through my fax machine and into my computer. Contrast problem I suppose. Anyway, there are only two more numbers per speaker and here they are in case someone wants them."

I know that the chorus2s will go to 122 db with 300 watts, Type in the search Chorus2, and look at the thread chorus2, forte who.

9.gif

It's not about how "loud", but about how good it sounds while being played loud. For the 1000th time -- all 100+db levels do not sound the same. I can easily hit 110+db peaks with the Wrights in my smallish area -- but it's not pleasant. Just because you can sit 12 feet away with an SPL meter and say, "Oh, I can easily hit 100+db..." -- doesn't mean jack. I'm sure at those levels my QUADs are barely cruising, and though the sound is rich and smooth -- the transients and dynamics are so ferocious in their intensity that they can make you wet yourself. Now, THAT's what I'm talking about, and why I use freaking horns.

The amount of power you need is the amount of power it takes to transport you to your kind of live event, with the kind of music you listen too, in your listening area. When you finally piss all over yourself -- you have enough.

Now, can we PLEASE talk about something else!

Funny Trey made the "peel the paint off the wall" today.

I am all for peeling the paint off the wall; but like Dean, it has to keep the attributes of detail, realism and soundtage intact.

I can find minor dissatisfaction with many amplifiers; some at low levels , some at high levels.

You find listening levels to work to an amps strengths; or move on to another amp.

• Klipsch Employees

Anytime some of you want to hear 125db+ stop on by... its loud but most of the time it sounds like a mule passing gas. Just aint prety.

Most of you know I like it loud. But , for the most part 95db is as much as I need and can take for more than 1 CD.

God bless PWK and the "Nugge"

----------------

On 7/28/2004 10:16:25 PM DeanG wrote:

The amount of power you need is the amount of power it takes to transport you
to your kind
of live event, with the
kind of music
you listen too, in
your listening area
. When you finally piss all over yourself -- you have enough.

----------------

*applause*

Well put, friend.