WHOA!!! New Klipsch Reference KILLERS!!!

kenratboy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Premier series is mighty nice, but I've promised myself I'll keep my RF-7's for another 10 years or until I can afford B&W Nautilus 800 speakers. Whichever comes first. I think in this price range, give or take several thousand, Klipsch stands alone. But after that, I'm forever going with B&W all the way.

As pretty as they look I think my 4 Khorn, 1 La Scala & KV-4, and 2 vertical Cornwall II system with dual 15" Velo Servo subs will leave it in the dust. I paid alot less than the proposed $14K cost of this premiere system. My total cost prior to crossover and wiring upgrades $5,025.

Have to hear them before I jump the gun...

I think they look better than the current Reference line...

Real pricey for Klipsch...

Getting close to B & W's Nautilus line...better sound d#$@ great!

As I said in earlier posts, at over twice the cost of the RF-7 line-up they better sound GREAT...I mean really, really great!!!

----------------

On 9/14/2004 3:22:31 AM djk wrote:

4" cone midrange driver.

----------------

Yup... what do you think is up with that?

They must have gone through a pretty big redesign since the 2 way presented at CES2004 (see photo) and the 3 way now previewed.

ces2004_klipsch_concept_big2.jpg

I think the move to a three way vs. a two way is going to be a very positive change. My biggest critique was having the single horn all the work above 2200 Hz and cones handle it below 2200 Hz. To me it sounded thin when compared to previous Klipsch three way systems like the Heritage line. So I welcome the change. Primarily I am still a fan of folded horn Bass but I look forward to hearing the new stuff. At 14K its out of my reach but I would like to hear it just the same.

I'm glad they are offering three way as well. I like the sound of my KLF-20's in a different wat than my RF-7's. I feel as if the KLF-20's have more upper range detail and the RF-7's are more "airey and open in the mid-low range.

I argued with a factory Klipsch Sales rep about this for weeks once and gave up thinking the guy was either brainwashed, selling what he was told to sell, or ignorant.

Someone made a comment about how one could like B & W and Horns as they are far ends of the spectrum. Well, I also like different car manufactures, restaurants, etc. I can and do appreciate different sounding speakers as well. Sometimes asthetics is a big deal if you have a wife and an environment where oine does not have a dedicated listening/viewing environment, like me. Not only do the B & W lines look spectacular, to me, they sound as good as they look.

The new Premier line to me looks great. When you have large speakers it's hard not to consider them as furniture. My current Klipsch speakers are all black to blend in to the corners as I do not think the newer lines look

much better than basic at best, and to me grills do not make a speaker.

Again I'm excited for the new line, but at that price they better sound &*^% good as they have now entered a new price point with alot of excellent compitition.

As always I would consider the Heritage line a premier line and not the line of Klipsch speakers I'm speaking of. In fact I'm looking into moving towards that line anyway. Upgradeitus again 9.gif2.gif9.gif

It is a good analogy to cars, I just wondered how someone who enjoys a porsche as a daily driver could then go out and buy an escalade for the same use.

I can understand having both types of speakers in different systems but replacing one with the other means to me that one has not yet settled on a sound preference; A megawatt amp (levinson, krell) through 801s or 800s versus tube (SET or low powered PP) through klipschorns create different sonic beasts entirely.

I have tried dynamic speakers, panel speaker and horn speakers, with all the changes needes in amps and cables and have decided that horns are for me. I still admire great dynamic loudspeakers from B&W, Dynaudio, Eggleston, etc. panel speakers from Martin-Logan, Magnepan, etc. But have discovered that what floats my boat and captures my day dreaming and shopping is limited to vintage or top line modern horns speakers from Altec, JBL, avantgarde, etc.

I would just advise you to keep listening until you find which type of transducer (matched with the appropriate components) pleases you most, then buy with assurance that you have bought your last speaker instead of the flavor of the month.

warm regards, tony