• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 9/23/2004 7:48:13 PM neo33 wrote:

BTW, I have every Coltrane album ever released on CDs. I have a few Coltrane vinyls and am building a collection.

----------------

Why don't you arrange them for us in a nice picture? In front of your Moondogs would make a great shot.

Fini, all I did was point out that you had lied. How is that vulgar?

What's with that Neo? I asked you very politely for a picture of your complete Coltrane collection and since you've never shown us your Moondogs either, suggested it would make a great photo. How could you say that was antagonistic? Why so defensive?

----------------

On 9/23/2004 8:48:31 PM fini wrote:

Be careful, Paul. You're about to lose 33% of your friends...
----------------

parrotville.jpg

Come on Fini,

Friends?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Are you kidding?

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 9/23/2004 8:06:24 PM paulparrot wrote:

Fini, all I did was point out that you had lied. How is that vulgar?

----------------

You know, I went back and checked, and by gosh you're right! You called me a liar, immature, a fool. All words printable here. It was in regard to whether or not a particular post of mine, about a fim which shall remain nameless, was "political." I claimed it wasn't, then later said yes, it was, in a subversive way. I flip-flopped. And just did it again.

Allan, no need for you to offer the gift, but certainly a nice thing to do. I think anyone of us could come with a ton of reasons why we are worthy to receive it........................but I think maybe it should go to fini. We already know he has a great sense of humor, let's make sure he has quite a bit of soul as well. JMHO.

p.s. no one can drive you nuts if you don't let them into your head. Anyone reading this thread knows it started as an attempt at humor, which soon went awry.

best regards, patrick

----------------

I disagree with you, my friend, I don't think music should be intellectualized. Nor should someone parrot the views of some jazz critic (although Nat Hentoff is pretty astute). Music either moves you or it doesn't.

I've listened to Coltrane's so-called classics and been thoroughly bored. So for me, Coltrane is not interesting. I have no problem with other people liking him. That's their choice. At the other extreme I don't like heavy metal either, but it takes all kinds in this world.

----------------

You can't have it both ways, pal. You claimed to not want the Coltrane record because you think he is "overrated." That begs the question "by whom?" You should have simply stated instead "I don't want the record because I don't like John Coltrane's music from what little of it I have heard." This would have been an HONEST comment, but YOU instead had to bring in the whole spectum of "intellecualization" when you couldn't leave well enough alone and instead juxtaposed your OPINIONS with those of the "experts." Sad, really . . .

Good Lord! I go away for an evening and lookie here.

Thank you st. patrick and 3dzapper. You guys know the score.

I shouldn't get the free record because I like Hank Mobley better than John Coltrane. Allan, please buy the one on eBay for me. I don't care if it's mint or near mint.

I like giving records away. Especially if I can help expose some of this great music to someone who is interested enough to listen with an open mind. So, I guess FINI gets the Africa/Brass.

As to what wine to enjoy with this one? Greensleeves should be enjoyed with something mature and mellow--a nice old Napa Cabernet, perhaps a 1970 BV George de Latour--a bit past it perhaps but still holding its own with just a bit of fruit left. But once Blues Minor kicks in you will need to spice things up--I suggest a 1988 Rousseau Chambertin. You then have to get up and turn the record over (we started on Side 2, I have to note) and fall into Africa--Dolphy's arrangement of this piece deserves something REALLY special--a 1931 Quinto do Noval Vintage Port--all at once sweet, firey and so deep and dark you can't even begin to see the bottom--just like 'Trane's solo on this one.

I can only afford to supply the record, so Fini's gonna have to take up some donations to secure the wine . . .