Khorns are here.

Painful Reality

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 9/17/2004 9:42:43 PM greg928s4 wrote:

That is a tough set up you have with that room. Gonna take some work to get that straightened out.

Greg

----------------

Incredibly difficult. When damping is the only thing required it's ain't that bad. When moving a staircase and stiffening a floor is required, well, one will think about building headphone amp.

But those khorns are so beautiful that I'll most certainly take the challenge.

BTW, your camera takes nice shots, especially for the colors.

Congratulations again, Jeff and Greg. Those are stunningly beautiful speakers. Excellent photos. I was hoping for a "plug & play" review. Maybe we'll get one from Greg, since his speakers are already in place. You seem to have a challenge for placement, Jeff, but most of us do, too. I'm glad they're in-house, & hope you get the best of them soon.

SSH

Jeff, Congrats on your newest acquisition. as they have said, put some gripper material on the bottom, seal those baby´s tailboards well to the corners and you should be fine. I like the article on the new PP2A3! I am right now tracing my finger over the schematic and comparing to mine...let us know how it all sounds once really installed...tony

----------------

On 9/17/2004 5:36:04 PM bkrop wrote:

Congratulations!

Hope you remember the "*minimum*" recommended watts amplification for those pups!
2.gif9.gif11.gif

Enjoy! Hope they sound good in your room!

----------------

And dont forget PWKs demonstation that 5 watts through k-horns compares to an orchestra, so 5 watts is what PWK used.

Thanks for all the nice compliments guys, they inspire me to keep refinishing old Klipsch speakers.

We took the tops and grills off and just walked the bass bins upstairs. It was very easy. Took about 45 seconds for each one!

While Jeff soldered new ends on the speaker wires, I put another coat of oil on the Khorns.

Not better than stock I can assure you. I know where all the imperfections are! 2.gif

I guess I should have gotten a few more pictures. If anyone out there is looking for a good digital camera, I highly recommend the "G" series Canon's. I had a G1 for a while, and now have a G5. Just great camera's, and used ones can be had cheap on ebay. Ask about batteries and battery charging though, I had problems with mine. I recommend a separate charger for the batteries. The quality of my final photos is enhanced by using Paintshop Pro.

Jeff - how about leaving the speaker that's beside the computer desk, and putting the other Khorn in the other corner of that long wall? Then your seating position will be in front of your stairs, up against the other long back wall. I bet that would go a long way to improving the bass and widening the soundstage. I like the gripper idea on those wood floors. Also, the tighter you can get them in the corners the better. When we tried them, one was up against the desk and the other next to the bookshelf, and they were out from the wall a few inches too.

You should seriously try putting them on that long wall and let us know how that sounds.

Greg

----------------

On 9/18/2004 10:05:01 AM greg928s4 wrote:

Jeff - how about leaving the speaker that's beside the computer desk, and putting the other Khorn in the other corner of that long wall? Then your seating position will be in front of your stairs, up against the other long back wall. I bet that would go a long way to improving the bass and widening the soundstage. I like the gripper idea on those wood floors. Also, the tighter you can get them in the corners the better. When we tried them, one was up against the desk and the other next to the bookshelf, and they were out from the wall a few inches too.

Greg

----------------

That is exactly what I'm doing this morning!

Jeff and Greg,

Congratulations. The amps and speakers look better than some industrial designs I've seen in NYC and Boston modern art exhibits.

Jeff, I just took a look at the pp circuit on the Magnequest web site. Nothing extra in that design. Either the components work or they don't. I'm not real surprised that cc didn't work with the driver. I think a resistor provides damping and a linear load that swamps any contribution from grid capacitance and choke? inductance.

Maybe some tapestries on the walls and a few strategicaly placed rugs. Fill the stairway with foam and you're all set. Good luck.

Leo

Actaully I'll probably get blasted for this but I bet more powerfull amps would sound better in what has been described as a challenged room. It stands to reason that a room that brings out the worst will effect the lower wattage amp to a greater degree. I think lower watt amps are more finicky about every aspect in the chain including the room and speaker placement.

Craig

No, what he really needs to do is run four 2-inch diameter chrome moly rods through the backs of each of those speakers and into the walls of the house to give them better rigidity. Why chrome moly? Because when Dean's steel rods are covered with rust, the chrome moly ones will still be nice and clean looking.

----------------

On 9/18/2004 1:06:43 PM NOSValves wrote:

Actaully I'll probably get blasted for this but I bet more powerfull amps would sound better in what has been described as a challenged room. It stands to reason that a room that brings out the worst will effect the lower wattage amp to a greater degree. I think lower watt amps are more finicky about every aspect in the chain including the room and speaker placement.

Craig
----------------

Just last night you were telling me how great your new SET amp is? I knew you were feeding me a line of sh!t. 2.gif