How Often Do You Listen

thebes

You know, music. Hours a day, hours per week, hours, per month-however you want to describe it. Intermittent, constantly, you name it.

Could be fun.

Since I got back into music I range from and hour a day to four hours, although there are some days when I don't listen at all.

While I'm at do you vary musical genres or just listen to say rock all the time, blues, jazz etc.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I average about 5 complete albums a week, most listening done late at night when the kids are in bed. Sometimes I'll listen to individual tracks, say three or four, in the weekends, which is about all I can fit in before the kids find me and start attacking me.

I'm lucky because my music room is downstairs and far enough away from the bedrooms so the kids can't hear music at night.

This is so interesting. I never realized what a specialized niche we are. I actually don't know a single person in real life (as opposed to this forum) who takes time to just sit down and listen to music, and not be doing anything else. To simply sit, listen, and escape. It's quite incredible to think that some of us listen to music the same way one would read a book, or even watch tv.

Like Ken, I spend most of my time infront of the computer. Well, it's because I'm a writer, so I kind of have to. All music I play on my "little system" basically acts as a sponge while I write. It goes in one ear, out the other, but I still enjoy it on a subliminal level. Then at night, about an hour before bedtime (1am), I'll sit infront of my "main system" and really rip some tunes. But if I were to slap a total on it? About 12 hours a day. Mostly background.

Know what else is interesting? Just from reading the few posts already made, it seems the more senior generation of this forum (because of jobs, kids, adult responsibilities) only get through one, maybe two, hours a day of listening at most, or a few albums a week. Whereas the younger generation uses music as a background curtain while we go about our daily lives, which sometimes consists of doing nothing but sitting infront of the computer. And ironically, while we might have more time than adults, few of us find the capacity to just sit still and listen to music for more than a few songs.

I mean hell, my system is cool and all, but after about 3 songs, well ok, 4, I'm needing to make a phone call, check my email, eat an apple, bake a cookie, do the laundry, whatever!

nicholtl:

The interesting thing for me is when I am typing a paper, I CANNOT listen to music, I get distracted! This includes ambient music. I guess I just get too caught up in it.

I do try to get at least one critical session in a week. My system doesn't do it's job (POS Sony receivers crossover with my smallish speakers doesn't do it's job and I cannot get things tweaked - being 'taken care of'), but I make due and it sounds very good. I don't like being distracted when listening to music, so I listen with headphones most of the time.

Almost every awaking hour, and that's alot. I can't hardly sit through a movie before I want to get back to the jams unless it's really good. That's why rock concert dvd's are my favorites. I almost can't even watch regular tv anymore. Maybe a little CSI Miami. I just got into this show.

During the day, about 4 hours out of a boom box tuned into a local FM "olides" RR station. At home with the good system, possibly 2 or 3 hours a week, depending on my stress level. If I am REALY stressed, I listen for hours at a time.

Mostly though, with trying to finish a construction project, I don't have a lot of "spare" time to listen. If I had a tough time at work or I am tired, sometimes I listen in a half sleep. Mostly though, the DB meter is at about 85 to 95 db so other sounds are not a problem. 2.gif

Once again, our esteemed Mr. Thebes has presented us with a poser. I enjoyed the comments thus far, which seem to indicate (A) total hours in front of any music system, background or not, and (B) Concentrated 'serious' listening.

Alas, I wish I could report more of the later. As a photographer, I have light jazz 'muzak' playing in my gallery constantly and during presentations to clients, about 2 hours per day avg. My iMac jukebox plays custom music mixes as fairly good level and quality constantly through a Yamaha receiver and Dahlquist speakers in my production room, where I spend 8-12 hours per day.

My 'main' system (as I now hesitate to call it, consisting of my new Yamaha RXV2400 receiver, Cornwall mains...etc. is used for Today show in am, news at night, movies, blasting the back porch and garage while in the workshop. However, I find myself rarely in front of my 'main' system, enjoying any of my library of about 1000 CD's or 600 LP's. Havent even hooked up one of my three Technics turntables since at the new home or unboxed any of the LP's although that collection is very much different than my CD's.

I shall try to remedy this at once by suspending TV watching of evenings, picking up a good book or two, revving up a Technics SL1700 and spinning some vinyl- Starting TONIGHT!

Thanks for the gentle reminder to forget about the equipment and remember the real purpose we expend these dollars and reinvent our living spaces- IT'S FOR THE MUSIC!

Michael

Maybe two hours a week total. We can't listen to music in our office at work. Well, we can, but we do computer support so we are often away from our desks.

If I am stressed, I play my own music. I pull out the guitar and float away. You don't have to be good to do this, it is just a relaxing thing. Or the lap steel.

Some weekends I might listen to three or so hours.

Hey this is turnng out to be pretty interesting, especially Nick and Michael's comments.

Particularly trenchant for me was Nick's comment about music being basically the background of a young person's life. I know the feeling and lost it, found it, lost it, over the years. Found it again this year and am enjoying it, and this forum im almost equal measure.

Anybody else?

I listen to music at least an hour per night and often more like two hours per night.

I love my Khorns so much that I bought a laptop so that I can schmooze about on this and a couple of other forums and listen to music at the same time.

The combination of building a quality two channel rig and the descent of TV programing quality over the past few years has truthfully reduced my viewing time from about 3 hours per night to about 2 hours per week.

I would rather listen to 5 hours of Wierd Al Yankovick homping an accordian than waste 5 minutes of my life watching a so-called "reality" show. Gawd! What crap some people will watch!!