New question on Digital vs Analog

Marvel

----------------

On 12/2/2004 12:19:39 PM dodger wrote:

I have not heard both so my commet does not matter in that sense.

My point is wondering why the length of song difference.

Thanks Edwin!

dodger

----------------

A single CD can be longer than a single album. My guess is they would have had to make it a double album to make it the same length as the CD.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 12/2/2004 11:56:04 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Never owned or heard of this record. Is it good? I know I've heard the "money for nothing" song before and thought it was pretty witty.

----------------

It's actually my least favorite Dire Starits album. Probably becuase radio and MTV played Money For Nothing and So Far Away so much I want to shoot myself when I hear them. I think all of Dire Straits albums are really well recorded.

Try the first album called Dire Straits, Love Over Gold or Making Movies. Good stuff.

artto,

I have recently been cleaning up my hard drives and deleting files. One was an interview with Mark Knopfler where he talked about the recorder. But I did find this, an interview in Mix (don't really like the mag). A small portion is below:

Dorfsman and the band worked on the album in Montserrat from early November until Christmas of '84, then came back to the island for another month after the holidays before moving briefly to Power Station for some final overdubs, followed by mixing on an SSL G Series console at AIR in London. "I mixed that album in six days on Auratones," he says. "The thing that saved me was knowing the tracks so well. When I record I always work with an eye toward mixing; I'm always EQ'ing. I rarely cut things flat, so when it came time to mix, it was mainly a matter of balancing and it was relatively easy."

Dorfsman says the principal processors on the album are Sony DRE-2000, a number of EMT plates and the then-trendy (and expensive) AMS reverb. The project was among the first rock albums cut entirely on a 24-track Sony digital recorder, which Dorfsman says he "loved from the first minute I used it. Mark ended up buying one after working on that album."

I had forgotten that it was only a 24 track. Sony made them where the tapes could go on a later 48 track machine and have 24 new tracks to play with. And why shouldn't it have been a great studio, it was owned by George Martin. So the answer is -- yes it was recorded on digital.

Marvel

". . .as your playback system gets more and more refined, balanced neutral (after all, thats what HIGH FIDELITY means, its about reproducing the original sound, not just what YOU think is good sound), youll find less to gripe about any particular format."

This might be the most self-serving and pretentious thing I have ever read here at Klipschland!

I don't give two stinky sh!ts about "HIGH FIDELITY" to be brutally honest. I just like music and records sound better to me than CDs. I use the old stuff because I understand it and it's simple and (WAS!) cheap and it's pleasing in all the ways that matter to ME (looks good, sounds good). The day I start stressing about arriving in some arcane place known as "refined, balanced neutral" and start covering walls and windows with sound deadening material and worrying about EXACTLY where to put my speakers and chairs is the day I sell everything . . .

----------------

On 12/2/2004 6:32:28 PM Allan Songer wrote:

". . .as your playback system gets more and more refined, balanced neutral (after all, that’s what “HIGH FIDELITY” means, its about reproducing the original sound, not just what “YOU think” is good sound), you’ll find less to gripe about any particular format."

This might be the most self-serving and pretentious thing I have ever read here at Klipschland!

I don't give two stinky sh!ts about "HIGH FIDELITY" to be brutally honest. I just like music and records sound better to me than CDs. I use the old stuff because I understand it and it's simple and (WAS!) cheap and it's pleasing in all the ways that matter to ME (looks good, sounds good). The day I start stressing about arriving in some arcane place known as "refined, balanced neutral" and start covering walls and windows with sound deadening material and worrying about EXACTLY where to put my speakers and chairs is the day I sell everything . . .

----------------

Alan (yes I spelled it wrong on purpose), you are full of yellow buttons. The founder of the company whose speakers you use (you are using Klipsch are aren't you? If not, what are you doing here?) would agree with me, not you. And if you had ever read anything he had ever published, you wouldn't have been so inane as post what you just did! I guess PWK was self-serving and pretentious too. If so, I must say I feel priviledged to be in such fine company!

And I guess I can now go so far as to retract my previous invitation of hospitality to you to visit Chicago to hear the great Von Freeman at home in his "place of residence".

And I quote:

"Art,

Thanks again for the info and advice. I do appreciate it and I'm thinkin'.

I have suggested that Allan Songer plan a visit to the area. I said I would try and set up a visit to Artto's listening chamber and that perhaps, you would introduce us to some Chicago jazz and/ot blues joints. I think he liked the idea. Here's a quote.

"I'm up for a weekend in Chicago. Just find out where and when Von Freeman is playing and Im IN! He has to be the most underrated tenorman alive and must be about 80 years old. Amazing playerI have 5 or 6 of his albums and hes just GREAT! I know hes still active around Chicago . . . "

Stay in LA where you belong with all those dirty records of yours!

PEACE

7.gif

Art-- you are going a long way to confirm my suspicion that you are are a boorish, isolated and very lonely man! Just because I think you're pretentious and self-serving doesn't make you WRONG--I never SAID you were WRONG--just pretentious and self serving!! And comparing yourself with PWK goes a long way toward proving me right about that too! I might be full of "yellow buttons" as you so delicately put it, but I enjoy my "filthy records" (and CDs too!) and my modest little "hi-fi" without being overcome with a disorder that drives me to find that "refined balanced, neutral" place that you seem to have found. Well bully for you! But you know what?There are THOUSANDS just like you who would walk into your little temple and slice your system to shreds because they have a COMPLETELY different idea as to what "refined balanced, neutral" means! This is ALL subjective, pal and for you to say that it isn't means that YOU are as full of "little yellow buttons" as I!

If I find myself in your city you can rest assured I will make no effort to seek out your company. I have a feeling you would bore me to tears.

----------------

On 12/2/2004 5:47:03 PM Marvel wrote:

I had forgotten that it was only a 24 track. Sony made them where the tapes could go on a later 48 track machine and have 24 new tracks to play with. And why shouldn't it have been a great studio, it was owned by George Martin. So the answer is -- yes it was recorded on digital.

Marvel

----------------

A marvel of technology, should we say?2.gif IIRC, 48 tracks on 1" tape running at 30ips. Extremely expensive and well regarded sonically, even past the time when it was cutting-edge technology. Nonlinear just became too practical not to embrace for most.

On a side note, I wonder if Martin ever rebuilt (it was called Air, right?) in Monserrat after the whole think went up in smoke.

----------------

On 12/2/2004 11:13:45 AM j-malotky wrote:

Just the other night I was over at SMillin's house and, yes we listened to a redbook copy of Brother in Arms as well as many other CD's and SACD's ...

----------------

Greetings,

I was there, too, and I must say I was impressed. While I still prefer analog, I'll say that this incarnation of digital equipment was the best I've heard - bar none. When we got to the "1812 Overture" I actually got goose-bumps! (Of course, I expect the amps and those amazing Cornwalls had at least *something* to do with it!) 2.gif

By the way ... thanks, Smilin' and J, for some great music, great company, and great pizza 'n' beer! 9.gif

Take care,

Scott

On 12/2/2004 8:49:37 PM Allan Songer wrote:

...A bunch of stuff...

Allan,

I'm just a relative newbie here, but maybe you are overreacting a little bit and should sleep over it before you respond further. When I read Art's post, it just sounded like he was expressing his opinion. I wasn't eading more into it that that myself. It sounded logical to me.

In a way, I'm amazed this loose community of tube lovers versus solid state lovers, of separates versus "amps don't make a difference anyway, of vinyl vs CD vs DVDA/SACD, I'm amazed explosions don't occur more often. But I think it's the tolerance that makes this a fantastic place to visit everyday.

Anyway, I hope you'll reconsider your words.

Best regards from this newbie,

Without gettin' philosophical,Brothers in Arms just happens to be a good recording,with good songs,digital or not.I have a few ddd recordings and find them to sound no better if not worse than good analog.

I also have been listening to sacd's for a while and don't have one thats really got that vinyl sound,although they do sound a little better than the cd counterpart.

I also have a small collection of dvd audio,most of which remind me of that great vinyl sound,just a hifi,musical sound without edge.When I listen to Deep Purple"Machine Head"dvda or Hotel California it sounds like the best vinyl I've ver heard.

----------------

On 12/2/2004 10:29:47 PM boomac wrote:

Ain't it fun when the dogs get to barkin'!

----------------

Woof! Guess there weren't enough "IMHO" in there to keep the leash on. Oh well--I just couldn't let it slide.

Got that copy of "Good Gracious" for you Scott--it's not even all that filthy and it plays nice and quiet. It's an original New York Stereo and it's going out to you tomrrow with the Hawes LP.

Gee whiz guys. I still think the LP sounded a little better in that awful room we used. You guys seem to have a better memory then I. The difference between the LP and CD is more significant in my home. Most likely due to a bigger difference in the quality of my gear although I don't think the 555ES is any slouch. It ain't what Smilin has but it isn't a sony walkman either.

Nice to see some emotion around here. Keep it up and maybe Mobile will decide to come back!11.gif9.gif

On 12/2/2004 10:56:23 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Got that copy of "Good Gracious" for you Scott--it's not even all that filthy and it plays nice and quiet. It's an original New York Stereo and it's going out to you tomrrow with the Hawes LP.

--------------------------------------------

GOOD GRACIOUS!9.gif

loud1.jpg

post-11564-13819259650288_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 12/2/2004 8:49:37 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Art-- you are going a long way to confirm my suspicion that you are are a boorish, isolated and very lonely man! Just because I think you're pretentious and self-serving doesn't make you WRONG--I never SAID you were WRONG--just pretentious and self serving!! And comparing yourself with PWK goes a long way toward proving me right about that too! I might be full of "yellow buttons" as you so delicately put it, but I enjoy my "filthy records" (and CDs too!) and my modest little "hi-fi" without being overcome with a disorder that drives me to find that "refined balanced, neutral" place that you seem to have found. Well bully for you! But you know what?There are THOUSANDS just like you who would walk into your little temple and slice your system to shreds because they have a COMPLETELY different idea as to what "refined balanced, neutral" means! This is ALL subjective, pal and for you to say that it isn't means that YOU are as full of "little yellow buttons" as I!

If I find myself in your city you can rest assured I will make no effort to seek out your company. I have a feeling you would bore me to tears.

----------------

Alan, I really dont give a **** what your suspicions of me are. I never implied nor said, that you said, I was WRONG. And the fact that you implied (basically said outright) that Im pretentious and self-serving by what I posted is directly responsible for what pissed me off in the first place you imbecile! I said absolutely nothing to you to provoke what you said to/about me.

If anything is self-serving and pretentious its those individuals, like yourself, that seem to believe that your subjective analysis is somehow relevant. Its not relevant, except to yourself. Youre self-serving, pretentious self. Youre just like the idiots at The Absolute Sound and Stereophile and the countless audiophiles who think that their subjective judgment of what sounds good or what sounds best actually has some meaning or value. I can brag about how good my system or my sound or how much I like this or that all I want. But as far as Im concerned, until it gets confirmed by others unsolicited opinions, whether they be qualified opinions or not (hopefully both kinds), my (or your) opinion is just like any other *******. We all have one.

I had an 79 Firebird once. It had a Pioneer SuperTuner/cassette in it with one 6x9 in the dash and one in the rear deck. Most stuff sounded great on it. Was it accurate sound reproduction (ie: high fidelity)? I think not. Allan, look up the words high, fidelity and high fidelity in the dictionary as please tell us all what you find.

Just so you know where PWK was coming from (since you obviously and mistakenly have your own, inappropriate agenda as to what good sound is), and I also subscribe to this philosophy as PWK, which is the premise upon which all Klipsch speakers are founded, he wrote:

LIVE MUSIC

Back in 1940 when I started working seriously with loudspeakers, my aim was to approach REproduction of original sound as closely as possible.

In 1946, when I produced the components for the KLIPSCHORN loudspeaker, that was still my aim.

REproduction with accuracy has been my aim ever since. To that end, I recalibrate my ears frequently at live concerts, and urge our clients, factory workers, salespeople, and engineers to do the same.

A notorious magazine ostensibly devoted to high fidelity audio recommends comparing speakers to each other, not to the original sound! Educate your ears but listening to listening to live performances is not effective! How ridiculous can they get? Comparing speaker A with speaker B, then with speaker C, D etc., can only measure speaker A with a rubber yardstick! Really, now, isnt it pretty clear that the valid yardstick must be live sound?

Yet, I recall a hi-fi addict who liked his BLASTOPHONIC 88 speakers with loudness, presence, absence, etc controls better than live music. That is his privilege; he paid for what he got.

But back to the objective; accuracy of REproduction. Once accuracy has been approached to a reasonable degree, one can always enhance, compress, expand and alter tonal response. But if such traits are built into the speaker system, can it be restored to accuracy? Probably not.

I wonder where you fit in this picture Allan.

The above was taken from Dope From Hope Klipsch newsletter, Vol. 22, No. 2, August 3, 1983, just one of many such statements put forth by PWK. Apparently both PWK and myself, or anyone else who subscribes to these principals and objectives is self-serving, pretentious, boorish, isolated and very lonely person, as you put it. You can stick your subjective point of view up your ***. You obviously dont have the intellect to understand the difference and importance between subjective and objective. And dont call me pal. Im not a pal to you. I dont want you as a guest at my home. Nor do I care to spend an entire evening with you showing you around town to visit some of the best jazz and blues musicians in some of their most intimate and appropriate settings that can be found anywhere, especially someone like Von Freeman who doesnt get around much anymore. You really dont deserve to be in his gracious presence.

From now on, I would appreciate it if you dont respond to any of my posts.