Pics on my home built Khorns.

chris haberland

Well it has been well worth the wait.This project had some complexities but nothing the average person with some building skills could not accomplish.I built these using only a Straight edge,Skill Saw,Router and help from you guys.Thanks gos to Bob Crites who supplied me with the K33's, Type A networks and his prompt replies to all my questions.Also thanks to Al of ALK who worked on a plan for Networks that i could not afford to get at this time.Any how i will keep this short, what about the sound!.Nothing short of spectacular.I had a friend over, sat down with a couple of Beers and was not prepared to here the best speaker system i have heard to date.All i can say we were speachless for the next couple of hours.The Altec 288-8G and 311-90's are the finest mids you will ever hear, matched to the T-350 Alnico tweets, well it just doesnt get any better, very revealing, very smooth.I was impressed how well my room worked, no reflections or standing waves, just music.The base bins did very well considering they have no corner reinforcements.Im waiting for my Marble sides to be cut.All in all im very pleased and dont see my self getting rid of these Khorns for quite some time.I now no why there is a site just for Klipsh.If you have any comments or questions feel free.Thanks again for this site, could not have done it with out.Regards Chris.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris:

Wow, I am very impressed! This has to be some of the finest looking DIY work I've seen on here in a long while. The implementation (is it your idea?)seems outstanding, with very good height for the tweeter -- not to mention a great installation of it, as well.

I have another friend who just purchased a pair of Altecs to use with his Belles, and he was just astounded by the sound. He had heard these at the home of a friend, who, as you have done, combined them with Klipschorn bass bins and I believe a modified crossover, and simply loved what he heard.

The look you have achieved is all at once very tasteful, architectural, sculptural, and functional. Those design elements are sometimes difficult to integrate well, but your new speakers achieve that perfectly. They are really works of art!

Very, very impressive work!

Erik

I have a couple of comments. Beautiful! And someone said they should go into the corners. Yeah, probably, but the only pair of cornerhorns I have heard was a pair made from the Speakerlab plans. He had them out a good two to three feet from the corner and they sounded great.

D-Man. I was thinking of the tweeter going in that same area on your speakers. They could be set back in a little though. 2.gif

Very nice work Chris. Marble for the sides? Cool.

Marvel

All I can do is echo every else. WOW! Incredible! You now have your own (one of a kind) KHorns.

A couple of questions please. No table saw? How did you do all those angles? With the router?

I have a started pair of KHorns but put the project on hold due a shortage of time. I did manage to cut some of the more challenging pieces and boy they were tough.

Enjoy them in the best of health.