Box Sets; your favorites?

Mine is Crosby Still and Nash 4 discs from 1991 I think.

Joe Gastwirt did the mastering and for the year it was an excellent Red Book CD mastering job. Many alternate and live takes of favorites.

Number 2 is The Band "The Last Waltz"

One I would like to know if someone has and if they like it; Faces "6 guys walk into a bar".

Interested in other nice ones others have acquired.

I got Barry White as "love music" to get my better half in the mood; only so so at best...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a box set but Neil Young's Greatest Hits is also a good one.

+++

Great mastering on this one from Neil!

I do have this one realy weird Classical LP set of 16 LPs one each of the great composers in this ornate decorated huge book. Kind of cool.

Now that I think of it, while not truly a box set, I do have a fondness for a Sting double album, unsure of the title, my wife bought it, and a set of classical compilations, again unsure of the title without seeing it, but it's like 4-5 cd's by various composers, every one has something familiar that I don't know the name of till I check it on the song list.

There are probably over a thousand classical box sets floating around out there. I have a few myself. My favorite is Deutsche Grammaphone's box set of Beethovens 9 symphonies. Pretty decent recordings and performances for a classical set.

Aerosmith,Pandoras Box,lots of great stuff thats not been played to death,some never released but very Smithy.The Neil is great too,I have the dvd version of gratest hits,great mastering in Saturated Stereo(Neils high rez?),just shows the LPs/45s playin' on a TT on screen.

Hmmmm.

The one that really blew my mind when I first bought and heard it was the Mosaic Tina Brooks set. Until this one came out I had only heard the Japanese "True Blue" LP and even though I really loved it I really wasn't prepared for what I was about to hear--three fully realized LPs that for SOME reason Blue Note left on the shelf and never released-- "Minor Move," "Back to the Tracks" (which actually appears on Blue Note inner sleeves cira 1961 but was never released!) and "The Waiting Game." All gems. I must have played those LPs about three times a week for six months after I bought the set.

Second on the list would be the Mosaic set of "The Complete Blue Note recordings of Grant Green with Sonny Clark," again a set of MOSTLY unreleased gems. Blue Note decided to shelve these sessions in favor of B3-organ stuff. Really boggles the mind--these are AMAZING recordings!

Both of these sets are long out of print, but you can pick up the Tina Brooks set for about $80 if you are patient on ebay. The Grant Green/Sonny Clark set goes for HUGE money--figure $400 easy.

Photo 16e_1_b.JPG

Allman Bros Dreams

Zeppelin Remixes 4CD and 2CD sets

Citizen Steely Dan (intro to disc 2 track 14 Bodhistava Live is hilarious)

Joe Cocker The Long Road Home 4CD lots of live and rare.

ELP- Return of the Manticore excellent career retrospective

YesYears also some rare and live.

Eric Clapton Crossroads

Miles Davis Columbia Years (4 discs arranged by category)

Yes I have a massive ROck CD collection and Love the books etc you get with the boxed sets! These are just my favorites!

I'm in agreement with Steely Dan/Zep..I also like the remastering on Emerson Lake and Palmer, and like the Lennon box set as it contains all of "Plastic Ono Band" and "Imagine"..the Harry Nilsson box set is no slouch either if you're a fan..

Allan always sheds a different light on collection subjects, and makes you want to go out and get 'em! Thanx!

Steve