Paul Wilbur Klipsch - The life...The Legend

richieb

Has anyone bought the biography of Paul Klipsch,

Paul Wilbur Klipsch-The Life..The Legend by Maureen Barrett.

My hardback copy just arrived, looks very entertaining. Many design schematics and photos of Paul from early on. A great "coffee table" book that will look and be more at home on top of a Heritage speaker, a Belle or Cornwall in my home. I think it time to settle in for a good read and a little Cornwall jazz.

It's a nice book for us Klipschophiles, an easy read.

I do think the authors could have captured the mischievous side of PWK a litte better, and some of the stories that are legend are omitted from the book.

After I read it, I thought it should have been a lot longer.

Greg

It is a good book and worthy for the fanatics to use as a reference too. Do not expect too much info on Pauls first wife, Belle, in the book. It is a great reference for the fanatics to use to settle arguments or to explain theories too.

Being from Indiana, I was proud that Paul Wilbur Klipsch was from here and his own heritage here where people work hard and are proud of that work too. It seemed to go with him as he got older too. His fascination with trains and airplanes was shared with my own grandfather.. who very successful in his own right.. was about the same age and died when he was 94.

Enjoy the read!

"Do not expect too much info on Pauls first wife, Belle"

You've got that right! Maybe 2 sentences! A real disservice in my opinion. Without her support in the early years Klipsch and Associates would barely be a footnote in the history of audio. If you listen to a Klipsch Heritage speaker today remember that without her paycheque in those early years Paul would have been unable to keep his company afloat long enough for the Klipschorn to establish a name.

In addition the book provides very little detail on the man and his history. I see it as a well intentioned attempt by a pair of loyal Klipsch afficianados but one which would never have seen the light of day if subject to editorial scrutiny.

I have but cannot recommend this book.

----------------

On 3/15/2005 9:20:25 PM Born2RockU wrote:

Anyone found a
Hardback
cheaper then $15.72 shipped ??

----------------

Best deal I found was when Mike Klementovich gave me a copy signed by himself and the co-author and by Paul W. Klipsch. No, it is not for sale.

Bob Crites

Well, first of all, reading ANYTHING about the Great One is fun. OTOH, the book was amateurishly written and nowhere near what it might have been. As previously mentioned, his mischeivious side is almost not there. I think I saw more of it in the 3 or 4 hours I spent with him in Hope in the early 70's than in the whole book. Then, there is the missing Belle. I suspect the author tried to cater to their percieved ideas of what PWK would like (since he was very much alive at the time) and in doing so, simply failed to be accurate and complete.

On the whole, I'd be hard pressed to give it more than a D+, and if it were about Lincoln or da Vinci, I wouldn't have bother to read it at all. However, as I said at the beginning, it was about he who without whom this forum would not be here...so hats off!!

Dave

I think you're on to something, Dave, much like your work with the Spankers! I'd love to see a biography filled with anecdotes and stories by those who knew him best: employees, fellow engineering types, BSers. There are plenty of possible contributors right here on this ol' forum! Perhaps a film....?? Heck, I have a degree in art (with a film emphasis), taught by none other than Clipped & Shorn, oh so many years ago...send us the footage!

My first thoughts on reading the book were it was written by a person who worshiped Mr. Klipsch--It was a nice book to read, however I am waiting for the unauthorized biography;-)

I noticed that in the "Hard Rock Cafe" rooms, where Ultimate Electronics has their Klipsch Theaters, it would have been advantageous (and still would be) to have a copy of "PWK The Life...The legend," instead of various coffee table books that were there merely for decoration.

I mentioned to several sales people that this could serve as a duel role as to educate the sales staff and show the general public that the speakers they are considering have a genuine Americana genuis story.

On a side note, after I read the book I decided to stop in at the PWK museum in Hope. It was like the book--I wished there would have been more, but I understand why they didn't. The museum is located in a small train station (converted box car?) next to the Clinton museum. It was the first museum I had ever been to where the door was locked and I had to ask the City manager for the key;-) Very quaint.

I'm reminded of the story of the wealthy widow who "commissioned" a biography of her late husband. One line read:

"He held the chair of applied electricty at one of our most famous institutions and literally died in the harness."

I vote with David -- a D+. The book will be mildly offensive to those who knew Paul.

DR BILL