The $80 no brainer tweak for old Heritage........

----------------

On 3/17/2005 11:07:10 AM fini wrote:

Bob,

Do you sell the caps for DIYers?

----------------

Fini,

Yes, on several occasions I have put together a set of caps with mounting brackets for people to install themselves. I even condition the caps first (in case there is a reason to do that which I haven't made up my mind on yet). One should have moderate soldering skills and a good crimping tool to do the work. Email me or PM for details.

The benefit you would have when you get me to do them is that I will also make them convertible if they are AAs so you can easily try the A version and that I will run each set on a spectrum analyzer to make sure they meed original specs.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@centurytel.net

"Most don't realize that the stock cans are much older than the speakers themselves. I think PK loaded up on WWII surplus capacitors, and most of the cans were probably two decades old before they were used."

They ran out of those in the early '70s, switched to metalized polyester film, then by mid '70s or so went back to custom made new oil caps.

Another vote for replacing the motor run caps. I've done it on three sets of heratige speakers with uniformly great results. You can get caps at Alliedelec.com I like the ASC the best because they are 5% high grade units. Depending on what you choose for caps the raw cost is $25 - $50 for a PAIR of AA networks. I still want to hear an A/B test of Hoveland Music caps versus laboratory grade....

m00n -

This is the Belle pair you sold me. It has been quite a journey with these - through Mc solid state 250/MX-110 preamp, now running on McIntosh MX-110 (pristine version) and MC-30 tube amps, the preamp with recapped audio paths, the amps with new filter caps and other safety updates (but those sweet sounding original BB's are still in the 30's). That should answer Tigerwood's question.

My theater came together much more simply, m00n.

Now I have a system prime for tube rolling my 30's1.gif Small tubes first. BTW, I have a couple of brand mismatches in my small tubes on the 30's (12BH7's and rectifiers), from which I could hear some small differences, prior to the network rebuild. Those differences just became much more apparent.

----------------

On 3/17/2005 6:16:44 PM yaffstone wrote:

Another vote for replacing the motor run caps. I've done it on three sets of heratige speakers with uniformly great results. You can get caps at Alliedelec.com I like the ASC the best because they are 5% high grade units. Depending on what you choose for caps the raw cost is $25 - $50 for a PAIR of AA networks. I still want to hear an A/B test of Hoveland Music caps versus laboratory grade....

----------------

ASC? Yaffman, what does this mean?

• 2 weeks later...

Audible,

I just had Bob Crites redo the B networks on my '73 cornwalls last week. Thanks for giving this advice. Man, what a difference. He basically replaced the caps and tested the networks to be sure they were back to original spec. Now it's like I have a brand new pair of cornwalls. At first listen, the top end sounds much cleaner and crisper. But I can also hear improved clarity and performance in the bass. They sound like I did something really expensive to them. Just a huge all around improvement. Absolutely worth the few $$ it cost.

They weren't sounding up to snuff all this time, and I never knew it.

The best part is that I sent them out on Monday, and had them back in my house on Friday of the same week. Very competent and fast service. Thanks Bob.

Once again, thanks for what has to be some of the best advice I have ever came across on this forum.

There is definitely merit to the effort of the "network guys" here on this forum.

Agreed. Having to re-build HF drivers in my new Belles, I figured since the Belles were down anyway and had never read any positives on the AB networks, sent it all out at once. Brand new AA/A convertibles look and sound awesome but had nothing for comparison. I just now know that they sound good as the day they were made, maybe better with the AA in place of AB.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't post that often but frequent the board now and then. I really can't add to what's already been said but I'd like to thank Audible Nectar, Daddy Dee, Mark1101 and others for their input on this topic. I sent my '75 Belle crossovers to Bob last week and glad I did. I received them 7 days after I sent them and what a difference! Much better detail from top to bottom is the biggest thing I noticed. He did a great job! I'm very pleased with the results. He's a pleasure to talk to, very knowledgeable and is very timely in e-mails. I highly recommend him to others who are thinking of having this work done. I'm planning on sending him my '78 K-horn crossovers next week. Thanks again guys and cheers to all!