FS: 2003 Klipschorns

Deang

Oak Lacquer, AK-4 network. I have the original shipping cartons. Considering the lack of availability, and the fact that most retailers won't "deal" -- I'm shooting for $4800.00. If I don't receive an offer within a week, I'll probably offer up the doors to the bass bins with the networks, the K-55-X's, and the K-77-F's -- which would constitute the AK-4 Upgrade Kit. I would want $1300 for that. Don't ask me what I'm up too, cuz I'm not telling!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean's Building a Jubilee

Just a guess of course! This should be interesting.

Actually this is a very logical choice. I imagine however big a Jubilee turns out to be it has got to be smaller than KHorns in those false corners.

More than a passing interest here in how things work out...

----------------

On 3/18/2005 3:12:02 AM maxg wrote:

Actually this is a very logical choice. I imagine however big a Jubilee turns out to be it has got to be smaller than KHorns in those false corners.

----------------

He could be buying a theater jubilee bass bin from klipsch, using one of Al's ESN's for an x-over and building a horn for the mid/high duties.

Chris

----------------

On 3/18/2005 4:13:12 AM tigerwoodKhorns wrote:

----------------

On 3/18/2005 3:12:02 AM maxg wrote:

----------------

He could be buying a theater jubilee bass bin from klipsch, using one of Al's ESN's for an x-over and building a horn for the mid/high duties.

Chris

----------------

That would be my guess - or thereabouts, too Chris. I just doubt he is building the mid/high horn - that is too much like re-inventing the wheel. I wonder what parts are going into this.....the pro jub bass bin is a good start but the top horn....hmmmm....

----------------

On 3/18/2005 8:00:32 AM sunnysal wrote:

ok Dean, you have to tell us what you are doing or NO ONE will make an offer! right guys? going to buy Maggies? Tony

----------------

Hasn't he already owned them?

Dean, at sub-$5K, aren't you taking a pretty healthy hit on these?

Hi Chris,

No, not really. It will mean I paid a little over $100 a month to "rent" them. I'll get a good deal of my money back, and someone else will get a good deal on some mint AK-4 Klipschorns.

Oh yes, and thank you!

The interesting twist that nobody is commenting on is that Dean is willing to sell the tweeter, midrange and crossovers for $1300. At a loss over his price of $4800 of $3500, what is he going to do with the leftover parts?

Dean, can't you get a gooc price on Audiogon for the whoel thing? Those false corners may be worth something too, unless they are part of your plan...

Here are the scenarios:

1) Dean is building a set of Jubilees

2) Dean is Building his K Horn bass bins in the corners and buing Beyma tweeters and altec mids along with Al's tractrix horns on a separate custom top that faces teh sweet spot.

3) Dean keeps saying that his room is too small for K Horns and is going back to Heresys.

4) Dean is quite mad and off of his meds again. (this may apply to all of the above). He is finaly going to break down and conform to the WAF and buy some of them "cute little Bose Cubes."

Personally, I am voting for number 4.

Chris

An advise from a guy who've sold a lot of stuff in order to build the next project...

DON'T SELL!

If the reason of the sale is to build the Jubilee, it would not be a smart move. Unless you go with expensive components like TAD, the cost of building a pair of speaker is relatively cheap. The khorns sounds good with relatively cheap components, the Jubilee probably could too. Anyway, since it was PWK brainchild, I guess the Jubilee must use relatively cheap component. Not to say that PWK was a cheapstake but he was not the kind of guy to put a $100 cap if in his mind a $2 one woyld do the job. Same for the drivers. The K77 ain't the most expensive thing in the world (unless you buy it as spare part from Klipsch...).

You should buy the wood, build a version with cost friendly parts, check if it is a promising design. If it is, upgrade the parts if you feel there is a need to do so. Once you're happy and you feel that the khorns won't get much airplay, then and only then, sell them.

My room is not "too small" for Klipschorns, they sound freaking incredible. The only complaint I have about my setup is that they don't "open up" until I hit peaks of 90-95db. With a first order network, they come to life at 80db. Right now, if I want to rock out, I go with the K-horns, and if I want to settle in with some low level listening -- I do it in nearfield with the modded Heresies. Trust me, there is no shortage of great sound over here. Also keep in mind that my room isn't as small as it looks in the pictures, as I have almost 20 feet of open space behind my chair. Since my room is 32 feet long, I have no problem getting solid and tuneful bass. I've spent a lot of time on the setup, and though it might not be "perfect" -- well, let's just say it doesn't suck.9.gif

Where's all my buyers from the pool of Heritage faithful? Is it because they don't have eBay stickers on them?9.gif

There will be no "Jubilee", at least not the way PK and Delgado built it. Without the horn, it's a bust. Oh, I'm sure with some help I can get close, of that I have no doubt -- but who wants "close"? I've drafted emails to both Martinelli and Edgar, but I'm not sending them yet because I still have one thing I want to try.

Yeah, I'm sacrificing my Klipschorns to finance a single "Jubilee" prototype of my own. However, it won't be a Jubilee, because without THAT horn, there is no Jubilee. So, I'll put together something I'll call The Jobel, and with God's help -- will hopefully come up with something very good to listen too.

Now, you guys could start a "Save DeanG's Klipschorns" fund, or maybe you wealthy philanthropists out there could come together and finance this thing.

What I really need right now is a good RTA -- need some suggestions here, since I can't find the thread where I asked it before.

Dean, that's great! I'm sure that you can do it.

With your expertise in the crossover area, you shouldn't have much of a problem getting the highs to match the bass output. Going 2-way? that's the cat's meow...

Figure on at least 3 sheets of 4x8 wood per side at around $200 total (estimate).

I'm reminded of the name "Job" for these DIY corner horn things, from the Book of Job. It's pretty close to covering yourself in sack cloth and ashes and knashing your teeth...

I am looking forward to seeing your posts as you go along.

DM2.gif