A plea to Klipsh: don't forsake Heritage

DTLongo

I have been following with interest recent postings to the effect that Klipsch may be purposefully forgetting or forsaking Heritage as they pursue the (rich, advertising-besotted-Yuppie, teeny-computer) markets downscale. Much of that of course involves invitingly lower production costs abroad in Asia.

I fear that young MBA's (?) and advertising agencies serving Klipsch are missing something very important. THE Klipschorn was the dream CADILLAC of speakers. It, and the Belle, are STILL competitive in the league of topmost-quality front home-theater speaker arrays. Yes, they are not for everybody. Yes, if you're building a new home-theater room, you can go for Klipsch- or other hidden built-ins. Yes, they are costly for Klipsch to hand-build in the USA.

But for those who have the corners and the room and the inclination, the Khorns + Belle are still state-of-the-art. I had some knowledgeable people over yesterday who virtually genuflected at the very sight of those speakers, reflecting their kmowledge of what they knew they were.

After last June's Klipschfest in Indy, by email I suggested as much to Klipsch - that they should include an inset of the Klipschorn in their advertising just to remind today's youngers that that mighty, legendary speaker "belongs" to Klipsch. ONLY the Khorn is a 50-year-old competitive legend. And the Khorn belongs ONLY to Klipsch. What is wrong with this picture, that Klipsch would not want to claim that image? Does Steinway deny its pianos?

Yet response from Klipsch by both snailmail or on the forum was nil. Not a word. DUH?? Trey, Amy, other moderators: where are you on this? Isn't part of your job and part of the rationale for these EXCELLENT Klipsch forums to feed forum aficionados' views back up to your brass? Get with it, please, and let us know.

Tom in Ocean Pines, MD

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/22/2005 8:19:06 PM DTLongo wrote:

"THE Klipschorn was the dream CADILLAC of speakers."

----------------

I would slightly differ on one point, (as an Imperial Owner) I would like to compare the Klipschorn to the Imperial. Know I'll stir something up here, but I'll submit the Imperial prior to 1968 was superior to the Caddy or Lincoln in many points. If you've ever worked on an old one, their complexity and build quality is remarkable.

Chrysler Corporation never seemed to be able to manage this flagship line well. They didn't consistently promote its distinctive identity and heritage. Over the years sales declined and Chrysler virtually ceded the high market to GM's Cadillac in the '80's.

Where did this ambivalence towards its crown jewel get Chrysler Corporation?

Evidently down the same road Klipsch appears ready to travel....

7.gif

----------------

On 3/23/2005 10:39:22 AM DeanG wrote:

Who are you guys kidding? There probably isn't even a half dozen on this forum who would even remotely consider buying any of it unless it shows up on eBay with a "
Buy it now
" of $1200 or less.

----------------

I know I plan to purchase brand new K's and Belles when I finally get my theater room set up.

Of course, that'll be a $25,000 excavation and renovation from now (expanding my house below-ground, rather than above...)

Bought my Khorns new in '03 (six-month wait) and the Belle new in '04 (four-month wait). Plus four RS-35's for back and side surrounds. So I guess I'm set for a while.

Used can be nice, but who really wants someone else's nicks and scars if you don't hafta. Plus, someone's got to keep the Heritage line going.

I think in this day and age there will always be people looking to spend the higher dollar amounts on NEW products. The high end market is not suffering just take a look around. You will not find wilson, dynaudio etc. in your Circuit City, good guys or other mass electronic retailers, that's not what there about, but they hold there own in the high end market. Klipsch should be there as well with the likes of the Heritage line. There are people that WILL by and spend the money on NEW product because it is new and the want the best they can afford. Not everyone is looking for the hot deal on ebay.

If you buy a pair of used khorns on ebay say for 2500 bucks plus shipping and then you mod them with new klipsch crossovers and maybe touch up the cabinet then you are at or about 4k or more, this is not inexpensive by any stretch. When I bought my La Scalas I wasn't looking for something used, I wanted new. This was true then and it is true today for many people.

Klipsch could just as easily put a dent in the high end market by marketing and placing Heritage products in specialty stores just like the other high speaker makers do.

scooter

I agree with a lot of the stuff here. I think Klipsch would like to put the heritage line in more high end specialty shops, but there are some barriers to doing so:

Need for corner placement could make the speakers hard to show. Even in a very high end shop they've got to show a lot of speakers in a small amount of space.

Lack of "name recognition" of Klipsch as a high end component, due to the fact people see them in Best Buy, etc.

Lack of Technology Wow Factor™

The last two are solved by marketing, which IMO Klipsch has done basically zero of for the Heritage line. When someone is trying to sell me a pair of B&W 802s they have these brochures showing me what advanced technology and research went into them. My personal opininion is that Klipsch could play up the natural advantages of horns:

1) Very dynamic. Is there a way to measure the dynamics of a speaker?

2) Very efficient. This is measurable.

3) Sounds great for things that are "natural": the human voice, natural instruments

4) Sounds great for things that are amplified: live rock shows.

As for the size, the fact that they are freaking huge adds to the Elitist Factor™ in my opinion.

----------------

On 3/23/2005 4:48:38 PM damonrpayne wrote:

I agree with a lot of the stuff here. I think Klipsch would
to put the heritage line in more high end specialty shops, but there are some barriers to doing so:

Need for corner placement could make the speakers hard to show. Even in a very high end shop they've got to show a lot of speakers in a small amount of space.

Lack of "name recognition" of Klipsch as a high end component, due to the fact people see them in Best Buy, etc.

Lack of Technology Wow Factor™

The last two are solved by marketing, which IMO Klipsch has done basically zero of for the Heritage line. When someone is trying to sell me a pair of B&W 802s they have these brochures showing me what advanced technology and research went into them. My personal opininion is that Klipsch could play up the natural advantages of horns:

1) Very dynamic. Is there a way to
measure
the dynamics of a speaker?

==>yes

2) Very efficient. This is measurable.

3) Sounds great for things that are "natural": the human voice, natural instruments

==> Crank Eric Clapton, The Eagles, any one of a number of groups - you'll be convinced

4) Sounds great for things that are amplified: live rock shows.

As for the size, the fact that they are freaking huge adds to the Elitist Factor™ in my opinion.

It's the old addage tiny speakers aren't going to be breath-taking

----------------

Dean though is right about many and price. I'm even guilty of that, although two pair of my speakers are Cornwall IIs.

For one reason or another, I have no mor knowledge tha what has been posted, I feel a sense of comfort and interest in Amy's Posts.

I don't think she would BS us. IMHO.

dodger