Belles in Place - WOW - Impressions/Photos

richieb

After a two week wait to pick them up, then another five day wait for repair/mods, my new Oak/Cane are in place, fired up and blowing me away. After finding the HF diaphrams were fried I figured what the hell, sent them and the AB networks out for repair and to be returned to that factory fresh sound. Shipped and returned in four days, repaired drivers and new convertible A/AA networks. Thanks go out to Bob Crites. You should see these networks, heavy duty to say the least and what a difference from the original. And what a sound. Have been listening for about 6 hours and comparing to my '76 Cornwalls. Who says Belles/La Scalla have no bass. I am most content with what I am hearing. Absolutely solid, driving, tight bass with zero overrun. Jazz combos, blues, female vocal all sound great. Crystal clear, surgical mids and highs with no fatigue. The blending throughout the spectrum is so seamless it gives the impression of a horn loaded single driver system. These things are so clean with no doubling or muddy bass notes gives the impression of a leaner, cleaner sounding Cornwall. No question they are more precise than my Corns, but in defense, the networks in the Corns are original and nearing 30 years old. A network re-build is in order. Live jazz combos and blues sound truer through the Belles. And who says they are too smooth for rock or electric blues. No way. Maybe the front end components are the limiting factor. My Redgum MOSFET amp drives these things with great control and a smooth, uncolored sound. It has been a long three weeks but now, well worth it. The Belle cabinetry is in fantastic shape, A- to B++ and the oak/cane combo is georgous. These have to be one of the most beautiful speakers ever built. And they are mine. Have a look.

Thanks PWK

post-14575-13819263678658_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 3/25/2005 5:07:03 PM Guy Landau wrote:

----------------

On 3/25/2005 4:56:54 PM Budman wrote:

you have a pair of the best looking belles ever made

.----------------

I second that.
1.gif

----------------

I'll third it. They look great congratulations. The fully horn loaded sound is a wonderful thing. Again congrats on a great score.

"These have to be one of the most beautiful speakers ever built"

Agreed. And yes, they do have good bass - you got to love FULLY HORN LOADED. That's the main reason I bought them....and those beautiful cabinets make them a great addition to the home decor (WAF bonus). I've got several pairs of Cornwalls - but the Belles get special status in the vintage two channel setup. I was going to incorporate them into the theater, but once I saw and heard them - they got thier OWN room. Since I had no space for Klipschorns, the Belles were my next choice.

Congratulations on those beeeeeuuuutiful Belles16.gif

And congrats to you, Merkin, on the Fortes. Two new Heritage homes in one thread - not bad...not bad1.gif

----------------

On 3/25/2005 10:34:01 PM Gramas701 wrote:

Richard-

Your new speakers look great!

Is your dog a golden retreiver?

George

----------------

Yes indeed a spoiled Golden. I didn't pose her either. She knows the sweet spot when the Belles are in place. She lays more forward and to the right for Cornwalls.

On 3/25/2005 4:56:54 PM Budman wrote:

richard, like i said in an earlier post, you have a pair of the best looking speakers ( Belles )ever made.

I think Budman said it all.

Your review of the belles compared to your cornwalls is also very interesting. I love my cornwalls, but now you have me wondering.

Also nice dog.

Danny