Paranoia Strikes Deep�.

thebes

The Twins are out clubbing with Uncle Ernie tonight (gotta find out more about this guy-Im suspicious), so I decide to hop in the car and head on over to the Klipsch Forum.

Traffics heavy so I hang a left and find myself heading down a real strange street. Got one of those Oh, oh, Im not in Kansas Anymore feelings. A fog suddenly rolled in and lightning crackled overhead. The street filled up with objects shaped like people, but, you know, very strange people. Circus clowns, big doe-eyed waifs, street urchins, shambling creepy stiff legged phantasms, one-eyed robots, Shriners, bugaboos, urban slickies in designer suits, and glancing into the rear view mirror- No! No!, I looked away quickly, took a firm grip on the wheel, shuddered and drove on.

Glad I made it here. Got me to thinking though, maybe Ive been listening to too much strange music lately. Or maybe, its normal. We all know that feeling when suddenly the entire planet seems just a bit strange or off-kilter. Certainly music can do it.

So what do you have that bends you mind, gives you the heeby jeebies or makes you say whoa, what was that!.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No I seem to be normal Rick, but just what is normal-maniacal laugh as he throws "Major Tom" in the changer soon to be followed by Ute Temper's "Mac the Knife" followed by a cut from "Fireside Theater" followed by "Climb the Walls" followed by...........

I listen to weird stuff all the time. One of my favorite weird songs is "Lather" by The Jefferson Airplane. I have an MFSL copy on LP and the detail is really creepy. Lots of little sound effects and even some lyrics you never heard on the radio version. Creepy but in a good way.4.gif

Dang, wish I had some of whatever you're smokin' Reminds of of times long ago when I lived on M Street. We'd step on the ol' yellow rubber line, and arrive at the Future Fair, "A Fair for all, and no Fair to anybody." After taking on a couple of toasters or something, it was off to the Wall of Science...

Oh, well, the crystal ball has gone blank again.

Care to squeeze the wheeze?

Dave

bjork bjork bjork bjork

in your headphones.

You won't want to close your eyes.

I got the Telegram cd on a recommendation from my music club based on other things I was buying. I ended my membership on that note. I like artmusic as much as anyone, but when music is just plain creepy, I look for the exit.

EDIT: I just remembered that she was a member of the Sugarcubes. In my day, "sugarcubes" were LSD vehicles. That, along with microdot, blotter, etc. - perhaps the inspiration for the band name?

• 1 year later...

Don't usually revive an old thread but it's seems like I've slipped

through the crack between Reality and The Strange again. That

state of mind where things are just slightly warped.

Melting watches; passing dogs staring at you like they know; sinister

glances in the rear-view mirror from the cabby; metronomes ticking on

dead-silent streets.

Couldaben the pizza, couldaben a passing existentialistic storm cloud, couldaben the flouride in the the water.

It also could have been the fact that at times life is passing

strange. Going to retreat into my music. Don't know if my

evenings selections will make things stranger or shove me kicking and

screaming back into everyday reality.

It's the journey that counts, when your strange.

Anybody got any tunes to send me on my way?

People are strange, when you're a stranger

Faces look ugly when you're alone

People seem wicked, when you're unwanted

Streets are uneven, when you're down

When you're strange- faces come out of the rain (rain, rain)

When you're strange- no one remembers your name

When you're strange, when you're strange, when you're str-ange

Thebes,

For excellent strange music, try the following - you will be absorbed by it and leave the planet for a while...

The American Metaphysical Circus \ Joe Byrd and the Field Hippies - beautiful and intense use of old style analog synthesizers, other unusual instruments. A wide range of music, strange, hypnotic, scary, funny, peculiar, profound,... There is a passage using the old synthesizers that play sounds so low it will make you think the Twins are rearrainging the heavy furniture upstairs...

Fish Rising \ Steve Hillage - very excellent musicians playing their own kind of progrock. Imagine if Frank Zappa produced a record from a studio in high earth orbit using Z Z Top and Pink Floyd to try to play old Genesis tunes with their eyey closed. Everything by Steve Hillage is great.

Klaatu \ by Klaatu - Classic weirdness at its musical finest. Fun and involving songs about alien space visitors, destruction of CA by earthquake, more alien adventures, America's first subway, a campy spoof of a dinner theater operetta, and the self told story of a subatomic particle.

post-16099-13819298106546_thumb.jpg