Will trade Bose 901's for Klipsch KLF30's

fls3030

not in this lifetime

Okay you're right guys. The KLF30 are definitely something to attain, but you will probably do better selling the Bose locally or on Ebay. Nice try though, we didn't mean to laugh, really (chuckle, sniffle, chortle...)

Michael

----------------

On 3/27/2005 4:45:05 PM fls3030 wrote:

I have a pair of Bose 901's... which I would like trade for a set of Klipsh Klf 30's.

----------------

The 901's are the best speaker Bose has ever made. In the right room with a very good amplifier, they sound pretty good. While I think your move to Klipsch is a good idea and a great upgrade, have you considered one of the Heritage models? Perhaps the La Scala would be an excellent choice. I don't know whether anyone would swap a Heritage speaker for your 901's but if you sold them on ebay, you may get enough cash to buy Heritage.

I have to chime in. I have a pair of 901s that I bought in 1985. I used them on and off as mains. When I upgraded to ML1-C Macs, They would only give me $150. for them. Soooo, I built 4' high speaker stands for them, turned them around and put them in the back of the room for rear surrounds. They need power, but you can adjust the timbre with the EQ for a REALLY NICE match with whatever you have. I know this will stir some dust around here, but I am not a fanatic about total timbre matching. Movie sources are hardly true to nature anyway. Ever hear a 45 go off and you thought the rear wall was coming down?? Try them that way before you dump em. They are not that bad of a speaker, they are just not huge sounding.

----------------

On 3/27/2005 7:55:56 PM rockbobmel wrote:

I have to chime in. I have a pair of 901s that I bought in 1985. I used them on and off as mains. When I upgraded to ML1-C Macs, They would only give me $150. for them.

----------------

So you felt the ML1Cs were superior to the 901? Did you use the McIntosh Environmental Equalizer with the ML1C's? (that's the way they're designed to run!) Those speakers intrigue me - one day I'll have to buy a pair with the equalizer and try them out.

I built some homemade 901's in the early 80's like Bose's early models. (wood cabinet). They were ok sound but really needed a 200watt/channel amp. Bose actually marketet a setup that included 4 901's with a monster amp. Now, the speaker without eq. was actually efficient in the midrange (I wouldn't doubt they were around 95-98 db efficient in the range from 200-8000 cycles but the lower bass and highest treble needed all the boost a 10 band eq. could muster. I was never really satisfied with the bass handling capacity. Sold them to a friend and buit a satelite/subwoofer sytem (12inch subwoofer) and the bass was inadequate with them also. I will admit though, that when used as a pa speaker in the 801 series they sounded good enough for a small venue. At least they had decent bass response compared to other pa speakers at the time. Just not enough bass for my liking in the home. I can't comment on the newer plastic cased 901's as I've never listened to them for any length of time although our dorm floor had a party with them and I didn't think they were too bad but also lacked low bass but upper bass was decent.