Dealers say Klipsch Suck

jpm

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/29/2005 4:03:26 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

At last, a thread we can all agree upon! Frzninvt, your comment killed me! Way to tell em DEPENDS! LOL

I've taken to using Picky's reference level of -10 on my Yamaha receiver with Cornwalls when I demo my HT to guests- really blows em back in the seating- you can see em sink in about an extra inch! And that OMIGAWD expression is priceless.

Michael

----------------

Michael, That's is why many people are turned off by horns. The demo was too loud!6.gif Better to play for newbies at a modest 85-90Db and wow them with the sound instead of the sound pressure level. I can't say I haven't been guilty of 110Db+ demos in the past myself.15.gif

Gary, You hit the nail right on the head (along with several others). If there in't any money in it, it sucks.

I wanted to take a pair of MLs to try once but the store wouldn't let me take them to the target range.6.gif9.gif

My .02.

Rick

----------------

On 3/29/2005 8:42:30 AM gcoker wrote:

I would not even respond..I looks like some one starting a

thread just to get a rise out of everyone.

----------------

I hardly think this was a troll. This is sadly the reality of how Klipsch is perceived outside the "in the know" folk.

The easiest way to be labled a heretic in polite hi-fi society is to say you run horns. 11.gif Phillistine, even!

I've had all sorts of dealers slam Klipsch (and other horns) for all sorts of 'problems' -- all in an effort to sell me their Infinities, or Boston Acoustics, or B@Ws, etc etc.

The hoidy-toidy audio press is no lover of Klipsch, either. It is *rare* to see a hi-end publication review Klipsch. I think they're scared. I mean, if the public were to know that you don't need to spend 15,000 dollars on a pair of speakers.. imagine what would happen? Their advertisers (makers of 15,000 speaers) would leave in droves!

Nah, this guy wasn't a troll. He's just expressing what many of us are fed up with.

Somehow I think K has been working on this for a while now, several years. There seems to be a push in Klipsch that had been missing for a long time. Now all they need to do is get Sam Tellig, blindfold his sorry arse, sit him between two Klipsches (your choice, any of 'em would do!) and re-educate him. 9.gif

Now all they need to do is get Sam Tellig, blindfold his sorry arse, sit him between two Klipsches (your choice, any of 'em would do!) and re-educate him.
9.gif

----------------

Hey I think you are on to something here. That would be a fun experiment at one of the CES or similar shows. You could blindfold the participants/vendors and have them all review the system say khorns and some killer tube gear : ). Perhaps even offer a reward for whoever guesses the right speakers. Hell I doubt I could do it but it would be fun to see what they thought khorns actually were. As they leave the demo hand them PWKs favorite button .

11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif

The most reasonable explanation for why dealers and magazines do not give Klipsch much respect is this:

- High end sound has been defined as excellent imaging, soundstage, smoothness... a sort of delicacy and precision to the sound. Dynamics, visceral impact, and 'liveness' to the sound are importnant, but definitely secondary to the others. The sound of electrostats is a good example...

- The Klispch sound is the exact opposite. It basically says dynamics and visceral impact are the most important. The imaging and soundstaging are important, but are secondary to having a dynamic 'liveness' to the sound.

Non-klipsch audiophiles think klipsch is brutal, unrefined and in-your-face.

Klipsch-heads think typical audiophiles are overrefined sissys that wouldnt know live sounding music if it hit them in the face.

Maybe the klipsch-haters should get off their perscription of "Noballsatol".

It is essential that the new representations of "progress" replace the old. This is a cultural predisposition with a built-in avenue for economic exploitation.

How it does it can be either by improved performance, by lower price, or by marketing (including advertising) means. The bottom line is commerce, NOT PERFORMANCE.

DM

----------------

On 3/28/2005 7:03:11 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

never trust the advice of a commissioned stereo salesman, especially regarding a product he does not sell.

----------------

And if he/she is working in a big box store where no one is on commission, don't count on them to know a tweeter from woofer.

The man I talked to was the stereo store owner. Naturally he pushed his product. Some speakers from England I'd never heard of. They looked like every other cone floor stander. I asked the owner if they'd have as nice of bass as my Klipsch's and he said no, they'd need a sub. But he said the bass they did have was much nicer than the Klipsch's. Of course he never bothered to ask me what Klipsch speakers I had. I asked if he'd take my speakers on trade for a set of his, and he said he would but that he couldn't give me much for them. He still had yet to ask what model they were. He said Paul Klipsch was only interested in efficiency and loudness with low power and not high quality sound. He also dissed Mac gear as old technology with wiz bang blue dials. He was a total buffoon.

Going Back To Cones ....

funny this came up here as i just hooked-up one of 2 lonely pair of Infinity SM 155's ...

not bad , actually, 15" reflex, 2 4" mids ...

decent bass , strong mids ...

what was missing, tho ... and what made them sound somewhat dead ....

Dynamic Range ...

what a difference goin' back to the Altec's 'n Chorus ..

Klipsch should pull and old bose trick. When bose came out with there acoustimass system they use to have the cubes on stands with these specially made fabric covers that made them look like tower speakers. They would play there demo and then pull up this fabric to reveal these little cubes and everyone would go oh wow. I use to think it was pretty funny. Anyway, what if klipsch were to do something similar and hide khorn behind a curtain so when they were demoed no one would know what they were. Then the so called audiophiles say wow that sounds incredible what are they. Then they would raise the curtain to reveal our mighty HORN loaded khorns. I would love to see the look on there faces when the realize they just fell in love with horns when all the while they have been bashing horn systems. Ok well its a dream to bad I had to wake up.

scooter

Did your dealer friend/aquaintence mention any particular klipsch speaker line, or was it a blanket statment?

Did you ask him/her if he/she has ever listend to the Heritage line?

Just curious, because I have heard similar comments, but they have all been in reference to the direction Klipsch is current taking. However, all have heavily favored the vintage heritage.

Its funny but Klipsch seems to get a lot more respect over here than in the US. Maybe it is because the prices are so much higher and there are big margins for the dealers.

Oh - and just to make you all really jealous - Bose is barely registering on the market here. I only ever heard of one guy that bought them - and they were sold a year later (so that makes 2 I imagine - but I dont know the buyer).

I'd say; "Thanks for your opinion, could you please let me listen to some 104db sensitive speakers you sell." Don't have any?

Then I'd invite him over to my house to listen to one of my 42 year old integrated amps. (Scott 299D) driving some twenty year old Kilpsch La Scalas.

Then I'd let him know that one of my entire systems costs less to put together than ONE of his high end speakers.

I love the rip off high end dealers and the nut cases that buy $20K amps and then sell them in six months for the next greatest thing Stereophile magazine says they should buy. It leaves lots of bargans for a simple guy like me.2.gif

Bill Woodward

• 6 years later...

couldnt have said it better myself give me the warts and all ,when you own horns you figure out what sounds good and what sounds like crap,Its a hell of a lot cheaper to buy good music

You realize you're replying to 5 - 6 year old treads, Right?

Dennie

Most of the crowd I hang with day to day have never heard of Klipsch. Once they have heard my system they can't believe how good it sounds and keep thier eyes open for it.

I have converted at least 10 people in the last couple of years to full Klipsch setups.

We must all have totally lost our marbles [H]