Dealers say Klipsch Suck

jpm

Every boutique stereo dealer I ever talk to says Klipsh speakers are lousy. They say the only reason they sell at all is marketing. I mean every one I've ever talked to. Now considering they could easily sell Klipsch if they wanted to, what do they know that we're not willing to admit?

Seriously, I'm wondering why they're hated so much.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not expensive enough, and they provide no-bull****, good quality sound for a fraction of the price of boutique speakers. It's no wonder the "audiophiles" turn away. It's sort of like saying that Lexus is a worse car than a Jaguar because both the price and the name are less expensive, when in fact Lexus is a car that's superior in nearly every respect.

Who is telling you that? People who don't sell Klipsch? If so, it stands to reason. They want to sell you what's in THEIR store.

I've had many people over for movies, never Never NEVER has anyone said that my system sucks. Quit the contrary, they are all in AWE!

"Seriously, I'm wondering why they're hated so much."

The no nonsense in me says that these people do not know how to use them, or are afraid to admit that you do not need to spend twice/thrice/four times the $$$$ to get inferior performance.

Trust me......I've been in every type of sound demo room, store, private CES demos - you name it......and very few come close to Heritage Klipsch (especially in the big Klipsch). I'll put Klipschorns (retail or otherwise) against anything else at double the price. Same for Cornwalls.

In fact, to best them requires mostly other vintage stuff (Altec/JBL of old).....or in insane amount of money.

Those other guys have more expensive drivers, finishes, etc but Klipsch puts the money where the sound is.....and get more per $$$ than anyone else - especially when compared against boutique brands. After listening to Klipschorns, LaScalas, Cornwalls - game over.

----------------

On 3/28/2005 6:07:14 PM m00n wrote:

Who is telling you that? People who
don't
sell Klipsch? If so, it stands to reason. They want to sell you what's in THEIR store.

----------------

I have experienced what your saying. It all boils down to "they want you to buy what they sell" Thats what puts money in there pockets.

Try going to a Chevy dealer and ask about a Ford. Salesmen will push there product above all others.

Steve

Audible...

I hope you're right about those corwalls. As you know, I'm collecting parts for mine now. Anyway, I was out listening to my RF7s the other night, really listening, and I must say... It's going to take ONE HELL OF A SPEAKER to beat my RF7s.

The people who don't have them to sell say they suck. If I tried to replace my Klipschorns in my home theater with B+W, I would have a lot of dissapointed friends and family. It seems I'm one of the lucky ones with a local store that sells the heritage line. They have sound rooms with Klipsch and Martin Logan electrostatics. They have their Klipsch's hooked up to single ended tube amps, and amazingly enough have a lot of satisfied customers!

Mark

----------------

On 3/28/2005 6:15:00 PM Audible Nectar wrote:

Trust me......I've been in every type of sound demo room, store, private CES demos - you name it......and very few come close to Heritage Klipsch (especially in the big Klipsch). I'll put Klipschorns (retail or otherwise) against anything else at double the price. Same for Cornwalls.

---------------

Do you do that too? I'm always going to stereo showrooms and asking to hear the best they have. The last showroom I went to in Columbia, SC. had a tube powered preamp (the name escapes me) mated to a solid state (Mac Daddy I think the name was) driving Totem Mani-2s.

From the literature:

"Awaken your senses to what true coherent energy, properly focused, can contribute to your listening experiences. Some have categorized it beyond the magical, the ethereal simply, fundamentally visceral."

pffffffffft...

Yes, the sound was quite nice but not as near as nice as my sucky Klipsch. The price for those speakers alone was around 5,000.

I almost always, no, make that *always* come away from auditions feeling that I stumbled on the one of the best hi-fi combinations out there. And it was pure dumb luck on my part.

Can't wait to go listen to my sucky speakers!

Forrest

One of the very finest rules in the sales game is

"Praise your competitors, and then show how you are better".

Salesmen/women/persons who trash the competition always create an uncomfortable atmosphere which is not conducive to having the customer lay out the dollars.

One point about the Upstair's Audio dealer in SC that I mentioned above... he asked me what I had at home. I told him. He mentioned that while he had never heard the higher end Klipsch speakers (he was mid-20's), he knew of their reputation as being excellent, and made the point that he really wanted to hear a pair of Cornwalls and Klipschorns someday, but that he hadn't yet had the opportunity. He mentioned that you can't be serious in this business without having heard about them. He then turned the conversation back to what he did have and what they did well (great imaging, very small size, etc.) Plus they were in the coolest room ever! Nice tapestries, great lighting, wonderful acoustics, etc.

True salesmanship focuses on building relationships. It is a dying art, it seems.

Forrest

Reminds me of several years ago while I was travelling and stopped in a hi-end shop in San Diego, B+W, Martin Logan, Thiele and the like. We talked for a while about some of the gear I had owned in my younger days and I mentioned speakers I really regretted selling (La Scallas) but I had loved the sound and longed to return to the brand. Never mentioning it was Klipsch he said, "oh, you mean Klipsch". I about crapped that he had guessed what speaker brand sounded so damn good. After guessing this great sounding speaker, he then proceeded to tell me what junk it was, based on various audio tricks to make it sound so good and that they are all now built in Mexico. That was that and I left. A real sales pro he was.

Time for a good sales guy story -

Over Christmas visited a B&O shop. We plopped in their $16,000 listening room. As expected, quite unimpressed - I prefered Heresy quite honestly. Salesman asked what we normally listened to. Mentioned Klipsch as a favorite and he said 'If you like horns I doubt B&O has anything to change your mind.'. It was refreshing...

As to horns and other - very few folks will move from loving horns back to cones. Some do but it is a small group. I have heard some very good cones (all were three or four ways) that tickled my fancy, but the electronics tab was an added killer to the over all price/performance. Lower, clean power and good horns still are the best price performance to my ear.

"Every boutique stereo dealer I ever talk to says Klipsh speakers are lousy. "

Go back to the boutique and tell them you have some other speaker they don't sell... they will most likely tell you they suck too.

This is standard MO for most boutique dealers. They, rightly, figure a fair amount of people interested in high end audio are insecure. After all look at how many people won't trust their own ears about a purchase and instead only buy what some 'expert' put on some recommend component list somewhere.

They are hoping you are insecure and will listen to their 'expert' advice... IOW make a big sale.

Shawn

Bring him over for a little demo at my place, tell him to bring some depends and a hair brush because he is going to crap his pants and get his hair blown back!

The level of clarity and detail at insane SPL levels and being able to sustain them should leave him with a slack jawed stupor on his face and then say top that!

There are two people that I know quite well that don't like the sound of my Khorns. They are both very nice guys, one is in his 20's and has been into audio equipment since his teens, and the other is 60, owns Vandersteens and McIntosh, listens to classical music and says my Khorns don't sound real to him.

Some people just don't get what the Klipsch sound is all about.

But I agree with what was said above, I'd walk away from a dealer trashing anyone else's product.

Well, unless they're trashing Blose. 2.gif

Greg