Are these hopeless?

Browsing Ebay I noticed these HWO Heresys from the 70's. They look good except for water circles/damage on the tops of the cabs. These would be good prospects for a system I'm setting up for my wife, especially as they are only 20 miles away and local pickup would be possible.

However... What I'm wondering is the potential for refinishing the tops of the cabs with a decent outcome.

Any advice is appreciated. What's a reasonable outcome to expect?

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=36680&

post-11993-1381926472443_thumb.jpg

Daddy Dee,

I have never done any woodworking like you will have to do but,

If the price is right ($200) and they work I'd jump all over them.

It seems to me if the plywood isn't warped I think you could sand them. You may have to use a chemical stripper first and then sand. Once they are down to bare wood I think staining will be easy.

I don't think it would be that hard to get them looking very nice.

Now if you are going to try and veneer them and all the other stuff that the pros have been posting lately you are on your own.

Let us know. All the other wood wimps are waiting for your answer.

Danny

DD, seller told me they have an N in the serial number which would make them 1975. the veneer missing on the front scares me more than the tops. smoked glass tops would work great if they won't sand out. grab em

Edit: if they have never been sanded before that stuff should come right out

Mick Jagger had the idea a long time ago, if the stains won't sand out, "Paint it, paint it black."

The missing veneer on the front is easily replacable with Band-It edging. If you buy them, no need to buy a whole box, I'll put a few feet in your box. All you need is a flat iron. Let me know.

Rick

Thanks guys. Good food for thought.

Rick, you've got a better eye than I do. I hadn't even noticed the veneer off the front. From the pic at a cursory first glance suppose it looked like light reflected off the finish. It's also not noted in the description. I'd imagined that the damage on top was the only issue. Thanks.

Dee,

I agree with previous posters that it's doable. I'd be inclined to maybe try chemicals (maybe like a wood bleach?) before sanding. If it just won't come out, a couple of slabs of granite might look cool! You should be able to score them pretty cheap from a countertop fabricator (using sink cut-outs).

At least they're not as bad as these Belles...1.gif

----------------

On 5/4/2005 8:12:48 AM fini wrote:

Dee,

I agree with previous posters that it's doable. I'd be inclined to maybe try chemicals (maybe like a wood bleach?) before sanding. If it just won't come out, a couple of slabs of granite might look cool! You should be able to score them pretty cheap from a countertop fabricator (using sink cut-outs).

1.gif
----------------

Belles are way better sounding work benches than anything you'll find at Sears.1.gif

I just bought a coffee table last weekend with some similar stains. I put a thin coat of paint stripper on let them sit 20 minutes and gently with a rubber scraper scraped off the old finish. Then with a wet rag I cleaned them and let them sit until dry. You want some really fine sand paper to go over the whole speaker with but if the stains don't come out just stain them dark but I would bet they'd come out just fine. If you don't buy them PM me I have a friend who wants another pair 9.gif

----------------

On 5/4/2005 8:12:48 AM fini wrote:

Dee,

1.gif

----------------

Whoever did that to the Belles should be clubbed like a baby seal

11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif OMG Thats terrible.....

The black mark may go through the veneer on the left one. That would be a bleaching and sanding plus edging.

Could be worth it. I salvaged a 1938 RCA Floor Radio that had been standing in 18" of water, no grille clothe and pegboard nailed to the front. You never know it now.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but judging from the picture neither sanding nor stripping will work. The damage is just too deep.

With a stripper or perhaps bleach (this was mentioned above and actually oxallic (sp?) acid is preferred), the stains will not be as noticeable (and they would need to be re-oiled). But the stains would still be quite visible.

I know you nixed the idea of new veneer; however, it is not as difficult (or as expensive) as you might think. A nice veneer and finish (I like the Watco oil finsihes) would make these cabinets look superb.

Let us know how it goes,

-Tom