Pit bull vs. Lab and 7 bullets: Who wins?

Parrot

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-dog05s1.html

Always the same old thing. The pit bull owner just can't understand how his sweet gentle dog COULD DO SUCH A THING! After all, he wasn't trained to bite the groin of a 12-year-old kid on his way to school.

This Lab deserves a medal, or at least an extra bowl of dog food. Saving a boy's life, and when he didn't even know the boy at that.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 6/5/2005 8:21:25 PM Corvette6769 wrote:

What a story! Thank you for sharing this with us.

Three head shots and still alive - most likely bounced off scull - 9mm one shot stop statistics are pathetic - that is why I use .44 magnum and .45 ACP for concealed carry.

----------------

How are your follow-up shots with such powerful loads? The recoil must be quite nasty.

I also hear a lot about using frangible loads as opposed to JHP - do you know anything about those?

It makes some sense to me when you have a pit bull who kills another dog who walks into his territory. But to kill one's master (or son of his master) is just nuts. Thank goodness that cop put the dog down quickly and efficiently. I hope the other dog, Rex, was not involved.

There are going to be many many thousands of similar instances in the future because these dogs have a lot of apologists.

But you just can't reason with a pit bull when he gets in a frenzy.

----------------

On 6/5/2005 10:05:58 PM meuge wrote:

How are your follow-up shots with such powerful loads? The recoil must be quite nasty.

I also hear a lot about using frangible loads as opposed to JHP - do you know anything about those?

----------------

I know a little about ballistics (wink, wink). Frangible loads are usually much lighter in weight than the average JHP, FMJ, MCW etc. In 9mm that could very well amount to having a bullet weighing ~80 gr. rather than the standard 110gr., 115gr., 124gr. or even 136gr. Then again most frangibles rounds are loaded to +P or even sometimes +P+ CUP pressures which make up for the lack of energy if loaded to standard pressures. But I wouldn't put my gun on a steady diet of these things. Yes, my home gun shods Glaser Safety Slugs in 9mm +P. I had some .380acp +P+ loads in my Walther PPK/S (S&W) by Cylinder & Slide for CCW but I chickened out and never fired a shot with those, who knows what'll crack in there with those. Then again, I haven't been able to find the
max CUP pressure limits
getting published by gun manufacturers so how much higher one can go above standard loads and for how many shots is a guess at best. Yes, I understand that pressures would be even higher if the slugs were the same weight as the FMJ, JHP etc.

With that said, if the scull is as tough and thick as I've read in some other places (don't remember where) I could very well see the frangible loads de-capsulating too early before fully entering soft tissue and doing any real damage to the brain. (I know this is gruesom but it's what I did for a living years ago). A load such as Glasers do (or did) advertize a 95% fatality rate on hits above the waist but most of that was going into soft tissue.

The recoil would be real nasty with 44 mag, and you might as well not even try to listen to your favorite pastime for a couple days after one of those. A full size 1911 (or clone) in 45acp is still managable IMO until you get to those +P loads. Personally I like the Winchester Talon (too rare and valuable to shoot now) and their re-colored clones, the SXT's if I had to hit something a little more solid. But who has time to change magazines.....

Anybody ever try tasing a dog? And would it tase the person beign bit if the dog was latched on? Intersting thought....

I don't know about a Taser. I think a couple of good blows with an axe might do the trick, though.

But man, when a dog can withstand 7 cop shots, you really see the futility in hitting a dog with a notebook or trying to coax it with a hamburger. It seems like you gotta be willing to go medieval on the creature.

The entire pit bull breed should be destroyed! Owning a pit bull should be a crime punishable by death!

So it is OK for a pit bull to attack and maul a human? It is called an accident!

But it is never OK for a human to kill a pit bull for the fear of being attacked? It is called animal cruelty!

Tasers work very well on dogs. I have no idea why the Officers said they didn't want to Taser the dog. Also, they did stop the attack by firing two volleys. Kind of cool actually! Pit Bulls are a menace and they should be banned......

----------------

On 6/6/2005 12:20:01 AM m00n wrote:

ben... I just looked at your "member since". I didn't realize you'd been here this long.
----------------

That's how I know about the red pills! 1.gif

Seriously, though. I got tired of the bclarke421 thing and just simplified matters.

----------------

On 6/6/2005 12:29:03 AM ben. wrote:

Seriously, though. I got tired of the bclarke421 thing and just simplified matters.

----------------

Ha.. I didn't know that was you. Now that you mention it, I've not seen that name in a long while. When did you change your username?

Pitbulls are breed to fight. You can't reason with an animal who's only thought is to maim and kill. Similarly, you can't reason with the owner of such an animal who is oblivious to the danger presented by the Pitbull until something tragic occurs.

Neo, you scare me. A .50 cal magnum? You give a whole new meaning to the term often used by forum members when they're about to buy something...

My .444 lever action Marlin rifle would level one in a single shot I bet, especially if I use Nosler ammunition. The heck with the head, right in the chest! I would not hesitate to use it either!

I had a S&W 629 Stainless .44 Magnum for a time but became less impressed with its ability compared to a rifle. A rare Remington .221 fireball would be fun!