Have you ever met a famous person?

sputnik

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For fans of old time "origonal six" hockey before I was born.

When retired I met Gordie Howe of the Detroit Red Wings; my kids rode the same merry go round with his grand kids.

Met Ted Lindsay and had an hour and a half conversation with him.

Both humble classy athletes.

.....forgot about the people while at work:

1. Muhamid Ali

2. Alex the butcher from the Kroger grocery store tv commercials.

3. Jeff Gordon, a race car driver.

...an experience to remember is riding a small elevator with 5-6 Firemen dressed in full gear with oxygen tanks and axes.6.gif9.gif

Glenn Hughes from Deep Purple.

I am a huge Tommy Bolin Fan and the fan club, TB Archives held a series of concerts each year in Denver Colorado. At the best one, I was photographer for the CD sleeve and got to spend time with Glenn both on stage and behind the scenes. It was very low key event, at one point we were alone in the dressing room together talking about his rehab program. He was ticked off that someone at the show had offered him smoke or 'whatever he wanted', just some fan trying to party with his hero, but not knowing of the struggle. It was a very intimate conversation, I'll always treasure that time.

Michael

JT- GOT to have a Yes tale !!!

here's another good one- Dave's Mom.

you know, David Letterman, from Indianpolis is always talking about his Mom. My gallery used to be in a little office above the Atlas Supermarket where Dave was once bagboy (he's referred to it several times on the show- now defunct now, the market, not his show). Anyway, his little Mom used to come in there all the time. Very sweet lady, she even had a book signing at a local store when her book came out.

A friend of mine was travelling home from NYC to Indy and sat by David Letterman on the plane. Talked all the way home, got Dave to sign the only thing they could find, which was one of those vomit bags they have on planes. It's framed at his house.

I like Marvel's comments too.

Michael

I have met a few famous folks, having worked as a news photog in Memphis for a number of years. But they are really just people like us. (Sorta)

Alice COoper at the RCA studios in Chicago (studios now defunct)

Gerald Ford

Jesse Jackson

Menachem Begin

Priscilla Presley (she was nice, and really didn't look any different than the girl next door)

Tom Paxton (I was playing bass and guitar for a group that opened for him at the Quiet Knight in Chi town)

Styxx used my JBLs for a recording session

Dan Fogelberg

There were lots more, but the brain is getting fuzzy after so many years.

Thanks Michael. The wife thought that would be a thread killer, but obviously not 2.gif

Laters

Met Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers after a show in late 1970's in Louisville, Ky. Both he and Mike Campbell are really short and Stan Lynch is really tall!

The guys from the group Live were originally known as Public Affection when they were in high school in York, Pennsylvania. Saw them in a little basement club in Wilmington, Delaware about 2 years before they hit the big time. They were really excellent and totally pro even as youngsters.

Met Garrett Brown, the guy who invented the Stedicam--a device that allows the movie cameraman to run with the camera and get really cool action shots. He won an Academy Award for technical acheivement.

Best in horns,

triceratops

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 6/11/2005 10:26:24 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

For fans of old time "origonal six" hockey before I was born.

When retired I met Gordie Howe of the Detroit Red Wings; my kids rode the same merry go round with his grand kids.

Met Ted Lindsay and had an hour and a half conversation with him.

Both humble classy athletes.

----------------

Original what? There was NHL Hockey back then? Hasn't been around in ages, sure wish we had it nowadays!

By the way, according to the age in your profile, there was only the "Original Six" when you were born. The NHL's first expansion was in the late sixties with teams like the Philadelphia, St. Louis, Atlanta (Flames), etc...

i have met a few famous folks, clint east wood was on a bicycle ride with friends up at lake tahoe and stopped to chat with myself and some friends. doc watson came by the cabins at lake tahoe to visit the guy who opened for him the night before, they played a couple songs, what a real treat. but the best time ever was while hitchhiking from tahoe down to santa barbara i got picked up by really nice mexican gent, we got along great, just chewed the fat about everything under the sun. when it was time for me to leave he said it was a pleasure talking with me and said he was cesar chavez. the things we spoke about for that 3 hrs made alot more sence after i knew who he was.

I met Dale Earnhardt (the dad, now deceased) at a banquet about seven years ago; my relatives were none-too-pleased that I failed to get his autograph... he was smaller than one might have thought, not much taller than 5'10", around 150-160 lbs; a pleasant-seeming fellow.

I had been cooking for about 14 hours, and had been roped into keeping the appetizer buffet stocked, so did not attempt any long, intimate conversations with him. For my own part, I could not care less about his vocation, and thought that the public's attention to him, as it is to most professional athletes, was way overblown and a gross mis-allocation of values and money.

I am continually baffled, amused, and simply confused by all of the "#8" stickers on the pick-em-up trucks here in the Midwest (I'm sure there are even more in the Southern states)... they are almost as prolific around here as the Jesus Fish...