What's So great about Klipschorns

kingdave

Well, they are really really clean, they put out huge amounts of acoustic power with small power inputs, awesome bass, and the balance of voices to music from soft to loud is exceptional. They also have longevity, mine are 1965 models. The design started out roughly in the 1930's and has changed very little since that time. Listening to them at a demo place is like trying to row a boat upstream as they know not what they do.

JJK

Concert level sound. Tremendous energy and presence. I just listened to my friend's Khorns a couple weekends ago for the first time in about a year. During that year my RF-7 setup had come along way toward matching his Khorn setup in clarity and bass quality. Many instruments sounded more realistic to me on my RF-7s. And despite the poor qualities of my listening room, I definitely had a more 3 dimensional soundstage. (I should mention his room ain't that great either.)The RF-7 bass would go deeper. But his Khorns can play louder, and their midrange is stronger. Vocals have a live presence to them that few other speakers can match.

Set up right, using a good quality source and amplification, gives you a listen to a number things you didn't know were on your recordings.

Maintain Value, can update if wanted, people at the Company are nice. Can make you forget that you're listening to a speaker.

Many other manufacturers claim that their loudpseakers offer 'life-like sound'. There are few that I've heard that offer realistic concert hall sound. The Klipschorn does this.

It has that 'WOW' factor that most other loudspeakers lack - at least without spending several times the purchase price of the Klipschorn.

And these other loudspeakers that approach the Klipschorn in sound quality, do so only with the aid of VERY expensive amplification.

Everything about the Klipschorn is big. The physical dimensions, the soundstage, and the dynamic range are all huge. And when you listen to competing loudspeakers at that same price level, then listen to the Klipschorn, without doubt you will say to yourself; "The other manufacturers have got to be kidding".

----------------

On 6/18/2005 8:47:50 AM Royster wrote:

Welll.... It's like trying to explain sex to someone that has never tried it. Just have to do it to understand.

9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

Roy, I haven't tried that line yet on my wife: Gosh honey, I just want to have a deeper understanding, thats all!

No, Klipschorns are still made today. As are Belle Klipsch, La Scala, and Heresy II, these are the remaining members of what is now called the Heritage series. Klipschorns new are about 6500/pr. Down to 1300/pr for Heresy II. You can find used Klipschorns on E-bay , cragislist, audiogonThey run about 2000/pr these things never go out of style ,you may over time have to replace a diaphragm but these are lifetime speakers. I have had my La Scalas for over 20 years. The might Klipschorn is the flagship of the Klipsch line up. They are a very big speaker in every imaginable aspect from physical dimensions to the sound they produce. If you have never heard them you are in for a real treat when you do. Any authorized dealer can order the new Klipschorns for you. They are difficult to demo as most retailer dont like to give up the floor space to carry them on eth sales floor. Best bet may be to find a forum member in your area who has them and see if they would offer you a demo.

In my 49 years of life on this planet, I've listened to some very nice speakers in a variety of price ranges. Now, I will admit that there are some here that no doubt have listened to more. However, I can say without reservation, that nothing I've listened to has had the same lasting impression on me as a Klipschorn. I'm not saying that I haven't enjoyed the sounds of other speakers. They just didn't make that lasting an impression. No doubt, there are some who will not like the sound of a Klipschorn. However, they will remember the beast for its power, presence, dynamics and complete distain for crappy recordings. Hope you get a chance to hear one in the right room.

Tom

well that certainly is reassuring... I really didnt even get into all of the Klipsch stuff until a very short while ago and pretty much what ive heard about the most is khorns... as a lowly college student, ive pretty much spent my entire summer budget on the f-2, c-2, ksw 12 setup I just bought... but i'd love to be able to get my hands (or at least my ears) on pair of these... anyone from the pittsburgh area???

by the way.. how do they compare to a setup like I just described.. the 2 f-2, c-2, and ksw 12.. throw in some surrounds.. that is near a $1500 setup

dave

----------------

On 6/18/2005 11:17:53 PM kingdave wrote:

well that certainly is reassuring... I really didnt even get into all of the Klipsch stuff until a very short while ago and pretty much what ive heard about the most is khorns... as a lowly college student, ive pretty much spent my entire summer budget on the f-2, c-2, ksw 12 setup I just bought... but i'd love to be able to get my hands (or at least my ears) on pair of these... anyone from the pittsburgh area???

by the way.. how do they compare to a setup like I just described.. the 2 f-2, c-2, and ksw 12.. throw in some surrounds.. that is near a $1500 setup

dave

----------------

They don't compare. If you're lucky, someday you'll have the chance to find that out for yourself. In the meantime, you have a very respectable system for a college student. It'll probably be the envy of your dorm (or apartment).

There are quite a few Pittsburg area folks here. Maybe one will offer an audition. If not, next time you're in the Baltimore/DC area, there are a few of us here who may be willing.

the first time I ever even heard of Klipsch was back in '86 when a 'friend-of-a-firend' (James) was slobering all over himself about his new speakers. We were planning a pool party and even though my friend wanted to use his speakers (I don't even remember what he had) his friend INSISTED that we take my truck and go get his.

My first impression was, "OMG, what kind of BIG ole box speakers are those? Will the two of us even be able to left them or will we need more help? Will they even fit into my tiny shortbed mazda pick-up?"

He told me they were Klipsch Horns, sit back and savor a cold beer while listening to ZZ Top LaGrange and after the song is done, I would be the one to decide if we should tote those monsters or not.

Almost instantly I told him I would gladly carry them the 5 miles on my back if we could please use them, lol

Like the others have said, they are awesome, in stature, presence and fidility.