Is this the right place to post an experience?

OK. Where to start? I have had some like large bookshelf speakers. I can't really find a manufacturer on them. They came from a girlfriend who went all computer speakers in 2000. Now I have Heresy speakers. It is pretty funny how I got them but I don't have time right now for all that!

Anyways I LOVE MY HERESY SPEAKERS! I have had them for just two weeks and thought I would find out about them. They are the best speakers I have ever heard.

I guess the first question I have is how do they compare to other Klipsch speakers? I can't imagine how they could be any better but I see there are Klipsch speakers that sell for more.

Welcome,

I have 3 Heresies in my HT system. Heresies have the same midrange (squawker) and tweeter and all of the other Heritage (original) Klipsch speakers have. That gives them a close match in sound quality and tone. The bigger ones often do sound better, though. For it's size, the Heresy is amazing.

We have developed several tweaks, but that is for later after your addiction deepens. 2.gif

Julie welcome to the zoo. You have obviously selected the appropriate place to post your Klipsch experience. As stated already the Heresy speakers are the smallest of the "Heritage" line. The heritage line is the line of speakers originally developed by Paul Klipsch, save for a few variations along the way. The Heresy has the same tweeter and the same squawker driver as the rest of the original line up. They are indeed a very impressive little speaker. I use 3 Heresy II's along with 3 La Scala's in my HT set up. Once again welcome to the forum stick round we dont bite .....well at least not very hard anyway. I think you will find over time this is a pretty interesting collection of very good people.

Julie, Heresey were my college dormroom speakers and for the period of 1979-1983 they rocked the house like no others.

Now I use Klipschorns which are the top of the same line the Heresey comes from (Heritage).

I agree with you they are great "bookshelf" speakers (though you need strong shelves LOL). The only thing I find they lack is real bass...people with large rooms or who desire more bass normally move up the heritage line and buy cornwalls, belles and finally the klipschorn.

I think that if you are happy with the sound you should forget an upgrading and focus on increasing your music collection (spend money on music not on equipment).

If however you want more bass you could start by buying a decent subwoofer for $150-200, this would flesh out the Heresey's bass sound and give you the potential to get enough volume to fill a larger room. This ONLY if you are not happy with the sound as it is.

Heresey are great speakers just as they are, enjoy!

regards, tony

----------------

On 6/29/2005 6:17:25 PM John Albright wrote:

Welcome,

I have 3 Heresies in my HT system. Heresies have the same midrange (squawker) and tweeter and all of the other Heritage (original) Klipsch speakers. That gives them a close match in sound quality and tone. The bigger ones often do sound better, though. For it's size, the Heresy is amazing.

We have developed several tweaks, but that is for later after your addiction deepens.
2.gif
----------------

Johm, I know you're aware of it, but for clarity's sake, it should be pointed out that while the midrange drivers are more or less similar, the horns themselves are quite different. There's nearly an octave difference in the LF cutoff of the various horns, and the LF sections vary even more, which would create some major qualitative differences as well.

Just trying to avoid confusion. Your point remains true, though.

First off Julie - I know exactly what you are experiencing with the Heresy - I went through it too about 5 years ago. I was out with a friend who was trying to find speakers for his girlfriend of the time.

This was a long and boring process that I was barely paying attention to. At some point he spots a pair of Heresy's and asks for them to be connected up to try out.

The second they started playing I knew they were mine. I could not believe their sound....

Of course for me it was the start of a long voyage in amplifiers / source / cables and speakers but I dont think anything I have bought before or since has had quite the effect those heresy's had.

As for your question:

A Heresy is refered to as a 3 way speaker. That means it has a tweeter for the highs (on top), a squarker (in the middle) for the midrange and a woofer for the bass (at the bottom). Some speakers are 2 way designs and a few are single driver units. There are other variations incorporating many drivers - tis a big world of audio out there but 3-ways such as yours are probably the most common. Driver merely refers to the woofer / squarker / what have you.

Your bass driver, on the Heresy, is a 12 inch woofer (paper composite) that operates in a sealed box. Some speakers work with a design called bass reflex - which has ports (holes) in the box allowing them to push air out of the hole to create a higher SPL or sound pressure level.

I have always had a soft spot for sealed units. They seem to be able to attain a speed of bass that no reflex design I have come across can compete with. In fact I replaced my Heresy's with a home built pair of speakers that incorporated much the same design (but using a different bass driver).

The drawback of sealed unit design is usually the size the box has to be (large enough for the driver to move unimpeded by air resistance) and the limits on how deep they go. Heresy's can get down to around the 50 Hz mark - give or take - which is quite decent - but if you ever add a good subwoofer you will discover that there is a lot of bass you never knew existed.

This answer was probably rather more than you wanted - sorry about that - I tend not to write short answers to anything - as others will testify! Hopefully I just answered your next 4 questions though...

Welcome Julie,Do tell us what you have for a reciever i would recomend you try Harman Kardon 430 twinn powered reciever from the 1970's.You can usually get one around 80 bucks on ebay they sound very good with Heritage speakers.Rick

----------------

On 6/29/2005 5:55:59 PM JulieHeartKlipsch wrote:

OK. Where to start? I have had some like large bookshelf speakers. I can't really find a manufacturer on them. They came from a girlfriend who went all computer speakers in 2000. Now I have Heresy speakers. It is pretty funny how I got them but I don't have time right now for all that!

Anyways I LOVE MY HERESY SPEAKERS! I have had them for just two weeks and thought I would find out about them. They are the best speakers I have ever heard.

I guess the first question I have is how do they compare to other Klipsch speakers? I can't imagine how they could be any better but I see there are Klipsch speakers that sell for more.

----------------

Welcome!

It's great to hear that people are still discovering the Klipsch Heritage line of speakers. One of the great things about these is that small changes in the signal path (source, preamp\receiver, amplifier upgrades) are passed on with terrific detail (and sometimes excruciatingly so, as I have found with some "brighter" sounding components).

What all of this means is that, besides needing to be careful about what you feed your Heritage Klipsch speakers, they will be some of the last pieces of equipment you NEED to upgrade (although many here enjoy tweaking their Klipsch with crossover upgrades, rope caulk, etc...).

I have had my Fortes for 17 years now, and they still produce some of the most amazing sound I have ever heard... I have swapped out other components, expanded to include home theater, and they are still the single best purchase I have ever made for my system.

(The Forte is similar to your Heresy's in that they have a cone woofer and horn midrange and tweeter; the Forte is taller, and also includes a "passive radiator" in the back, essentially a woofer that does not receive an electric signal, but resonates from the bass of the active woofer in front, reinforcing the total bass output of the unit to become one of the best bass performers in the Klipsch line, by the specs... unfortunately, they are no longer manufactured; fortunately, they can be had on the used market for half their original retail).

Something to be wary of... if you dare, you owe it to yourself to seek out the Klipschorn, Belle, or LaScala, and listen to some of your favorite music on them. These are the fully horn-loaded speakers upon which the whole Klipsch sound is based, and to hear a pair of Klipschorns, properly set up, is like being wrapped in a blanket of musical bliss that will haunt you for quite some time. The reason you need to be wary is that, if you're like me, you will be left with a taste for that sound that will keep you searching ebay and the classifieds, hoping to stumble upon a great deal on one of these, so that your thirst for that sound can be quenched.

For now, enjoy the heck out of your Heresys, and feel free to ask anything, or post impressions of what sounds great on your new find...

MY LAST POST BEFORE HEADING HOME FROM FORT LOST IN THE WOODS TO MY HOME, HEARTH, AND 'HORNS...

One thing no appears to have mentioned. Locate other Klipschoholics and form a Yahoo Group or other local discussion board in your area. In the DFW area, we have the DFW Hornheads. We get together from time to time to hear all things Klipsch and try to discuss our dependency.

I'll be having one soon to compare Klipsch driven by the lastest pure digitial (Class D) amps as opposed to vintage vacuum tubes with a wide variety of source material.

Such gatherings are the BEST.

NEXT POST FROM TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Julie...listen, I don't know how much time I have but they might hear me but get out while you can...get out!!!...I came here to learn about Synergys (nice speakers) and I was taken in by Heritage (reminds me of home) and I have since bought a set of Hereseys...then another set of Hereseys...then Klipschorns....run...you may still have time...wait...they're coming...

Yes, Julie...you will love the Hereseys and may want to try others from the Heritage line...No, I wasn't trying to....

9.gif

Bill

Enjoy and you just joined a big family here at Klipsch!

Julie;

For me it started 28 years ago when I first heard a pair of Khorns. I couldn't afford to buy them but that sound has haunted me for all this time. About 1 1/2 years ago, someone asked me about speakers and I told them about the mighty Khorn and did a google search for pictures. I found this board on that search and since then I have added 9 hearatage speakers (including 4 heresys) to my home not to menition the GMRX 5.1 system for my son.

As has been said RUN AWAY! RUNAWAY! RUNNNNNAAAAAWWWWWAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!

BUT now that you have been bit by "the sound" there is no hope for you2.gif so settle in with a glass of your fav adult beverage, sink into that comfy chair and enjoy the wonderious sounds that you have discovered.

There will be upgrades in your future for sure but for now TOTALY enjoy your Heresys, they are better than 80% of the speakers ever made and are at the top of the list for their price range!! ENJOY!!!16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif